Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hacked up oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

I bought this oval on a 1962 chassis (registered as such), with a ‘65-‘67 1500cc motor. Claimed to have been a drag racer... I’ve found a front replacement piece - so the axle could be put back to It’s original location.
Thoughts? Ideas? What would you do?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

get a w deck lid, tidy up the lights, skinny wheels up front and enjoy driving it...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

Quote:
Me: Find a 1969 or later chassis with registration, and mount the body to it. Install all 4 fenders and an engine lid (W type is best though $$; alternative would be a lid from '58 thru '63) and paint the beastie all one color. Ideally a Beetle color from the late '50's, though my fave would be the 1962 color Anthracite. You can now buy 4-bolt "smoothie" rims to hide the obvious change, as long as you use stock-looking hubcaps. Paint the rims 2-tone with ivory centers and a color that's the same as, or compliments the body color for the outer rim sections. I see that for a full body, you'd also need the spare tire well, front apron; and some of the rear quarter panel ends for the bumper mounts, though you could install simple dune buggy chrome tube bumpers like some Cal-Look Beetles had in the 1970's. Then sell the chassis you now have together with the "front section" so that the buyer has the option of keeping the extended beam, or going back to an original layout.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
Me: Find a 1969 or later chassis with registration, and mount the body to it. Install all 4 fenders and an engine lid (W type is best though $$; alternative would be a lid from '58 thru '63) and paint the beastie all one color. Ideally a Beetle color from the late '50's, though my fave would be the 1962 color Anthracite. You can now buy 4-bolt "smoothie" rims to hide the obvious change, as long as you use stock-looking hubcaps. Paint the rims 2-tone with ivory centers and a color that's the same as, or compliments the body color for the outer rim sections. I see that for a full body, you'd also need the spare tire well, front apron; and some of the rear quarter panel ends for the bumper mounts, though you could install simple dune buggy chrome tube bumpers like some Cal-Look Beetles had in the 1970's. Then sell the chassis you now have together with the "front section" so that the buyer has the option of keeping the extended beam, or going back to an original layout.

All great advice, except i'd leave it on the '62 pan or one up to 1965, with ball joint front end with 6 volt and make it into a usable car with a W deck lid - I would not paint it either - is very interesting as is- very nice - have fun - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

Me personally, not into the patina rat rod thing, but this thing is cool. Love the letterhead (hand lettered) doors, nose art... on the nose, and the color combination. Do not paint it! Put the beam back we’re it belongs, leave it on the 62’ pan. Install fenders, one orange to match the body, one blue to match the doors in the front, and just black in the back, bumpers, deck lid the same blue as the doors, and a solid reliable motor with all the other bits that make it fun to drive... and go get yourself a cup of coffee.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

You do know that thing is begging to be a baja.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

off the subject a bit, but the car with ther copper colored wheels, the skinny ones up front- English Ford, ie; Anglia, Prefect, Thames, etc use the same bolt circle (5 on 205) as a VW..The first time I saw an old Anglia with BRMs, I about sh*t...I had no idea..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

RUNKLE wrote:
Me personally, not into the patina rat rod thing, but this thing is cool. Love the letterhead (hand lettered) doors, nose art... on the nose, and the color combination. Do not paint it! Put the beam back we’re it belongs, leave it on the 62’ pan. Install fenders, one orange to match the body, one blue to match the doors in the front, and just black in the back, bumpers, deck lid the same blue as the doors, and a solid reliable motor with all the other bits that make it fun to drive... and go get yourself a cup of coffee.

I concur. Like the lettering and nose candy. Dump the stinger and roll it. Maybe later build a vintage speed 36 maybe with an old speed supercharger or something, but just enjoy it for what it is.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

I would put that replacement front end back on, do some metal work find some fenders, wheels and paint it blue like the door color. Ovals look sweet rolling down the street, slammed or stock. Just my opinion.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

That car can totally be saved, if anything, just don't hack it any further. You see that tight, even gap between the hood and the front quarter panels? That thing looks like it's never been hit up front, or at least not very hard, or at the very least has been repaired well after any hits.

And it's got the original "H" apron in the rear, albeit it does look smashed downward in that one pic. That one looks like prime material to be returned to near former glory (even if it is titled as a '62).
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked up oval Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
All great advice, except i'd leave it on the '62 pan or one up to 1965, with ball joint front end...

How do you leave it on pan up to '65 and run a ball joint front end? Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: