Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Sand it or ditch it ?
Sand it, it'll last another 5 to 10 years
72%
 72%  [ 18 ]
Ditch it, I see holes and gas leaks and imminent death by BBQ
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 25

thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

I have a tank that is in much better condition than the ones posted here, but recently sprung a leak.

The GoWesty article on the matter really seems to suggest I should not bother repairing it. But if I replace the fill valve, bleeder valve, and regulator, and the tank is in structurally good condition, is there really a big difference?

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

Apparently, tanks can be safely tested...

jimf909 wrote:
Holy Toledo!
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You have been warned.

Link

A simple test to reduce the likelihood of a failure like this is possible at home...

Link

Where the rabbit hole took me...

Here's a test to failure with an LPG tank. I never imagined that and LPG tank would balloon to nearly a sphere before failing (and the soundtrack is awesome).

Link

If you're impatient, advance the video to 1:00
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One more for fun...

Link

Search YouTube for "lpg cylinder burst test" for more.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:

The GoWesty article on the matter really seems to suggest I should not bother repairing it.

That's because GoWesty is trying to sell you something.
Vanagon914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

I converted to the 16oz camping bottles. the original is a pain to get filled. the small bottles last a long time and are easy to get. just my opinion.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
I have a tank that is in much better condition than the ones posted here, but recently sprung a leak.

The GoWesty article on the matter really seems to suggest I should not bother repairing it. But if I replace the fill valve, bleeder valve, and regulator, and the tank is in structurally good condition, is there really a big difference?

I am facing the same dilemma - great tank with leaking shut-off valve. I would like to refurb with this valve kit on Ebay (currently sold out) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/184341023650

But my wife runs a bit anxious and is terrified of a 35 year-old propane tank. I am going to spring for a new one to enjoy future camping trips and sell mine on the classifieds. Not sure what it is worth, but is in great condition with only minimal corrosion around the ID plate.

Any guesses on what a good used tank is worth?

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

I'll buy it for $5.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I'll buy it for $5.

i'll go as high as $22.73 Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

Some very enticing offers so far! Laughing
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank - refurbish it or ditch it ? Reply with quote

We converted ours to use refillable 1lb propane bottles. We keep two on hand. One on the line at all times and one extra. I fill them at home with our 20lb bottle but can fill them on the road using our small 2 gallon(ish) bottle we use for our propane fire pit.
Out tank was leaking as well and it didn't seem worth replacing. We cook a lot outside the van in the summer and use the 1lb refillable bottle on our camp stove as well.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: