Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are safari windows worth the leaks?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
1953-1967, buses were equipped with vent windows that actually work. They will push as much air in your face and cab as you like. Effectively, there is not a huge difference, however, safaris are way cooler. They look cool and people love them. They will put whatever is in front of the bus inside the bus, be it water or air. If it is over 100 outside, then either the safaris or the vent windows turn your bus into a convection oven.

The zone where safaris work best is between 70 and 90 degrees with no rain. The further it is from that zone, the more they suck. Still, they are the number one most popular bus accessory.
sorry bud but thats not the case..... i drive my singlecab in 120 deg heat in az and the wings are not enough, i prefer safaris wide open with scorching air directly hitting my face Very Happy
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Drew Ogden wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn! PGSG walk through! That has GOT to be a rare bus!

Sa - Weet!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
livingskies wrote:
They do look cool, and may make sense in a hot climate. Although when travelling at higher speed, I'm not sure whether having lots of air blowing at one's body would be all that enjoyable. In a convertible or a vehicle with an opening sun roof, air mainly passes over one's head, which is a different experience entirely.

It never gets hot here - mid to high 90s (35 or so in Celsius) is about as warm as it gets here. So no big incentive to install safaris.

While all the pictures show them open fully, that is only fun at low speed. Opened just a crack is great for high speeds. Just got back from a cruise with them open, its 20C here today. Doesnt have to be hot to use them.

x2 Fully open is when parked or driving at very slow speeds.

Generally they are open only an inch or two when driving. Often I just have one open.
My headliner is og, and somewhat imperfect and fragile. I'm a bit concerned it might gets ripped by the wind. Looks like Drew's bus has a nice fresh headliner.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
markeaton wrote:
Still trying to learn acronyms. OG is a new one on me ?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/o.php

Funny thing about that, OG has pervaded numerous other vehicle forums of which the subject vehicles never originated in Germany. More often than not it's apparently misused as a sort of slang for "original." Rolling Eyes

As a kid from the 80's OG is Original Gansta.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
buseric wrote:
livingskies wrote:
They do look cool, and may make sense in a hot climate. Although when travelling at higher speed, I'm not sure whether having lots of air blowing at one's body would be all that enjoyable. In a convertible or a vehicle with an opening sun roof, air mainly passes over one's head, which is a different experience entirely.

It never gets hot here - mid to high 90s (35 or so in Celsius) is about as warm as it gets here. So no big incentive to install safaris.

While all the pictures show them open fully, that is only fun at low speed. Opened just a crack is great for high speeds. Just got back from a cruise with them open, its 20C here today. Doesnt have to be hot to use them.

I've always told folks, it's no different then riding a motorcycle......or a rollercoaster! I have been known to blaze down the highway with mine wide open. It's kind of hard to breath at first but you get the hang of it and when you reach your destination everything in your bus has been relocated for you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yep, I've driven a few Buses with them fully open, including on the highway.

I was more concerned about something getting kicked up and hitting me in the face than the air flow.
I have glasses so maybe with no glasses my eyes would have gotten irritated.
Wear googles Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Busstom wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
markeaton wrote:
Still trying to learn acronyms. OG is a new one on me ?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/o.php

Funny thing about that, OG has pervaded numerous other vehicle forums of which the subject vehicles never originated in Germany. More often than not it's apparently misused as a sort of slang for "original." Rolling Eyes

As a kid from the 80's OG is Original Gansta.

Yep, I've heard that too (I may have even read it here on TS years ago). Maybe an amendment to the Samba dictionary is in order Smile
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

I've heard of a way that might work, but the result might not be the prettiest sight when the windows are open....i haven't tried it because i carry my trusty tape around Laughing
You could get some good quality quick hardening black silicone seam sealer (you know, the stuff that is used to waterproof/seal seams in the bathroom) at the Home Depot, and put it on the seal as a filler at the spots where water gets in. May be fluid gasket maker works as well...
Then put plastic household foil over that silicone to keep it from sticking to the safari window, and close the safari window. Open the safari window again and let the silicone dry (take off the plastic foil and leave windows open while it dries) and...presto, instant additional safari seal.
Like i said, i haven't tried it !!!!! so i'm just mentioning it as a possibility but not advocating to do it; i cannot tell you if it really works, and if so for how long.... but may be someone did try it and would like to give us some feedback?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

tisius... interesting.

Funny, I've been putting in too much "thought-time" around this and I also wondered if a think black very sticky rubber tape (kind of like electrical tape but stronger), and maybe add from one to x layers; or enough to make the seal tight enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerry41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

gerry41 your killin' me Very Happy

Awesome pics !!!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
Lind wrote:
1953-1967, buses were equipped with vent windows that actually work. They will push as much air in your face and cab as you like. Effectively, there is not a huge difference, however, safaris are way cooler. They look cool and people love them. They will put whatever is in front of the bus inside the bus, be it water or air. If it is over 100 outside, then either the safaris or the vent windows turn your bus into a convection oven.

The zone where safaris work best is between 70 and 90 degrees with no rain. The further it is from that zone, the more they suck. Still, they are the number one most popular bus accessory.
sorry bud but thats not the case..... i drive my singlecab in 120 deg heat in az and the wings are not enough, i prefer safaris wide open with scorching air directly hitting my face Very Happy
If you enjoy the heat, then safaris will definitely help with the convection oven effect.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Here is my maybe controversial opinion. Om my 67 I love my safaris. Drive with them open all day every day in the summer. My friends joke my hair styled by safaris.

But they do leak alot. So for winter where I still drive my bus a lot, and spring. I use a latex based product called lexel (clear) and seal them up with caulk. Come summer i cut the bead and almost all the calk comes off in one swoop.

Probably not ideal to caulk your windows but it has worked for me for two years.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

When I had safari's, I used the Mustang welt seal and had no leaks unless I was going above 45 in a pretty strong rain. If the rain was going to last, I'd keep a small jar of Vaseline to seal up any leaks. The rubber seemed to like the lube.

To have a Split without safari's seems like a waste.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Well, I spoke with the final "arbitrator" , my wife Very Happy

She felt that since we live in NH and enjoy only 4-5 months of decent warmer weather and the bus will be garaged, then the windows will be fun to have.

I just can't get over the idea of potentially using Vaseline, caulk, and other materials to keep rain out.
If I had more time, was smarter at inventions, I would come up with a seal that works... but, that ain't gonna happen Very Happy
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Hey All

Lots of amazing opinions on Safari's. Mine differ a bit.

Assembled my 1964 Double cab in 1992 with Bus Boys Safari windshields. Drove it that way for several years. Living in the Mid Atlantic area, it rains and storms (really rains) frequently. Summers are really hot, buggy, and humid, and traffic on the freeway is intense and fast.

The bus goes to a bunch of shows, and is used to haul occasional loads. After 5 years of driving, I stopped opening them at highway speed, as the occasional rock and stinging insect were unpleasant. My friends coined the term German water torture, as the window always dripped on the accelerator pedal. The one thing you can't remove your foot from. They leaked and there were always rags in the bus to sop up the mess as you drove.

I took them out and sold them, and still love the bus, but I don't miss the leaks. Probably a much better thing for a dryer, warmer climate.

Scott
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

She felt that since we live in NH and enjoy only 4-5 months of decent warmer weather and the bus will be garaged, then the windows will be fun to have.

I just can't get over the idea of potentially using Vaseline, caulk, and other materials to keep rain out.
If I had more time, was smarter at inventions, I would come up with a seal that works... but, that ain't gonna happen Very Happy

that is how i would look at it. they are cool, in the summer heat they are great, even though i have NEVER once kept them all the way open while driving. i just opened them enough to hook the latches on the outside. that way they don't close at speed, no bugs in the bus or face. no need to mess with the adjusters.
In the rain they do leak, in the winter that is HORRIBLE. think about chiseling ice from the dash.
keep it out of bad weather, and enjoy them in the summer.

I couldn't as i daily'd mine for years in germany...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

just get the safaris and enjoy the New England summer, sounds like its going to be a fair weather vehicle anyway. if your concerned about them leaking then don't drive it when its raining.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

in my old 64 i had Izzs safaris with the Wolfgang seals. i drove this bus everyday for years in the south east weather. only time mine leaked is when i drove it in medium to heavy rain. i just kept a hand towel in the bus for those days. very rarely it would leak during a heavy rain storm while parked.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

thanks widehatch....

I am planning to place order this week, just want to make sure I get the best seals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: