Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

My handles were "floppy" so I ordered some from Wolfsburg West.
I've done these before, but never had a real plan and it was a real PITA, so since I had several to fix, here is how I did it.

A 3/16 drill bit (crappy one's from HF are easy to cut) cut the shaft to 14mm length.
Some rubber to wrap the handle in a VISE

The usual tools, and a scrap tiny flat screwdriver to cut a little groove to catch the spring.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you want to be careful to not apply pressure to the top cross bar. You will be pushing a large flat screwdriver under the cross bar while pulling the spring forward with the TINY screwdriver you cut a groove into. Once this is done, screw the handle back into your bus. I now have they "KIT" in a bag on my wall. It takes less than 5 minutes.This was a "locking" handle, the others are less complicated. My thought was, we do this rarely, but when we need to it's "How?" I've done these the hard way since the 80's, so my thought was "how did they assemble these at the factory w/o throwing tools against the wall, and in good time?"

Last edited by NUTSFORBUSES on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

Nice work! It's good to see people sharing HOT TOs in the forum.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt58veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

Thanks for the post! I will book mark this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

Great work.

Is there something that goes across the larger hole?

Is it the spring that usually breaks or the cross-bar part? Is your old spring not as coiled as when new?

Is the reason you cut the drill bit so that the drill tip doesn't stab your finger instead of using the whole drill bit?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Great work.

"""Is there something that goes across the larger hole?

The larger part is the locking mechanism, the other side is simpler, unless both sides lock. There is a cam inside and the holes are for cam movement, not a pivot. When you turn the key/tumbler a part of the cam inserts into the outer hole and locks the handle.

"""Is it the spring that usually breaks or the cross-bar part? Is your old spring not as coiled as when new?

The springs tend to wear out, if you look at the first image you can see both ends are not parallel on the old-this gives you the "floppy" handle, and Yes sometimes those cross bars break/crack as do the springs.

"""Is the reason you cut the drill bit so that the drill tip doesn't stab your finger instead of using the whole drill bit?

Why waste a drill? You cannot use the entire drill only about 14mm, otherwise this procedure will not work as you cannot fit the outer part/chrome collar over the handle.
This takes all the frustration from an otherwise simple job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

Oh doh now I get it. Anything go into the big hole?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

No problem Barry.
Most guys buy re pops, it's already done. I like German metal when I can get it, and the factory that made these probably did it nearly the same way, b/c although it takes minutes to do, it took me an hour to "think" German and figure it out.There are some much older guys that have probably found the same fix long before me. I also put Clear shrink wrap on the end of the ice pick to stop the handle hitting the door. Also, If you don't have the rubber seal on, it will still hit the paint when you drunkenly slam your door. Casamigos Repasado Barry. I probably spelled that wrong, but who cares, I have 2 more bottles.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

I’ve always used an appropriately sized Phillips screwdriver instead of a drill bit. Same idea though, works fine.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

Is this applicable to both locking and non-locking ice picks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Handle Spring Replacement (my way) Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Is this applicable to both locking and non-locking ice picks?

Yes, same spring, same procedure with the exception of the tumbler parts/cam in the locker(the BIG hole). The locker/tumbler must be OPEN/unlocked when taken apart. INNER CAM-don't try to push it out w a drift-oil it up if stuck/rusted. Remove the very small set screw & Pry the tumbler/key lock out so you do not break the tip/end of the tumbler. The cam can stay in until you remove the handle from the outer collar. You will quickly understand once you begin. I oil them up the night before, but most come apart easily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: