Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Year?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: What Year? Reply with quote

Seeking an answer to a question, I've been sent here by the administrator of another forum.

I've come to realize that if I want to go anywhere this summer, I need some sort of RV, because, presently, my sweetie refuses to stay at a hotel.

Although I already have a well-sorted, tintop Syncro (with Z-bed), my VW guy suggests that I get a DECENT air-cooled Westie.

His suggestion was accompanied by several valid points and hard to rebut.

With his words stuck in my crawl, as luck would have it, I recently saw a Westie EXACTLY like what I am looking for in a YouTube video. Please ignore the sad situation the beater who owns this van placed himself in and fast forward to 03:50, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bleep

That is EXACTLY the van I want, color and all!

So, what year is it? Also, I will gladly pay a finder's fee for any lead that results in a purchase.

Richie (Near the Burgh)
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

LOL so you have a tintop syncro with a z-bed and you want a bay?

It's Colin's late bay westfalia. IDK the year probably like 76-79 The color is chrome yellow I believe.

That "beater who owns this van" came forward, apologized, admitted to his wrongdoing, and has been working on bettering himself.

Let's let the past stay in the past and allow people to grow.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Laughing

classic

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Richie near the burgh.. not really sure you were born yesterday... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

the damn internet....amiright?
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

I guess I can assume you never were responsible for feeding a Syncro. Anyway, I'll take the advice of the Tube Guru any day.

Richie (Near The Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Laughing

classic

?
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

That's really not cool. Rolling Eyes
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Abscate wrote:
These are the reasons we have words like “wanker”

Who is this "we"? I have words like jagoff.

Richie (Near The Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Let's let the past stay in the past and allow people to grow.

The last time I heard that line was when I watched "Trial at Nuremberg".

Anybody becomes contrite . . . once they get caught.

Richie (Near The Burgh)

PS - C'mon people, I'm talking about a 5% finder's fee, here. I sure as hell don't want to lease one of these atrocious RV's, outgassing formaldehyde in a few weeks.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Some of us know that particular bus (and the guy who owns it) pretty well. I won't get into it, but I am pretty sure that one is not for sale. The guy is a traveling VW mechanic who is basically a fine person. He had helped me get countless buses back on the road. In fact, if you WERE to buy a Westy, I would not hesitate to recommend him to you for a visit to get it all dialed in and to teach you all about bus love.

We all have issues. Apparently, his caught up with him and got displayed to the world, but he is regretful and is no doubt working through it. 'Nuff said, I suppose.

So, you are looking for a top notch Westy like that one? That'll run you $30k.

And yet you have a good tin-top Syncro? I would LOVE to have a Syncro!

Your money might be best spent on upgrading that Syncro into a camper. It can be done. The hardest part is doing a poptop roof properly. Or maybe just use it as a tin top camper.

Alternatively, you could sell the Syncro for $$$ and find a great Westy to replace it.

Oh, and to answer the question, "What year?", i believe it is a '76, but it could be '77. No matter. What you want would be late '76 - '79.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

blah. . . blah . . .blah. . . I would LOVE to have a Syncro!

Your money might be best spent on upgrading that Syncro into a camper. It can be done. The hardest part is doing a poptop roof properly. Or maybe just use it as a tin top camper

Be careful of what you wish for. My biggest complaint is that the Syncro has all that extra hardware to drag around and decent parts are getting harder and harder to source. Don't get me wrong, come December I LOVE my Syncro.

I'm looking for a turn-key van (not a project) without spending a month crashing at my daughter's in the Bay Area.

Richie (Near The Burgh)
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Hmm....

Well - count me in as a part of the "we".
I can use jagoff too. Congratulations. What was your point?

And with the Samba history, its ok for RichieS to post that initial question, with that video link, and everyone is just OK with that? No telling him to research, peruse the ads and look for himself. Regardless of the content..... that question was his 5th total post.... (which leads me to other conclusions about the poster)

Then a call out to someone for a tag line of someon'e else's quote - with absolutely no context?......... a bit obtuse for my understanding.

I'll roll along and observe.
I have nothing more to add to this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Here's 2 for sale, one in great shape the other is decent

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2461132

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451627

I believe this color, from what I read, which is either Chrome Yellow or Marino Yellow, is only available on models from '76 to '77.

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Your 5% finders fee is, what, 18.5% Canadian?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Thanks to whoever directed me to the classified ads. I might have located what I'm looking for here in the East; albeit the wrong color.

That guy who said $30K was about right, as long as I don't want a color change. Then, it will be over 40 and also there is a time constraint.

andrewtf, aka Inspector Clouseau, maybe I have no point.

Thanks, one and all,
Richie (Near The Burg)
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

RichieS wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

I guess I can assume you never were responsible for feeding a Syncro. Anyway, I'll take the advice of the Tube Guru any day.

Richie (Near The Burgh)

i GuEsS yOu CaN aSsUmE
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Your 5% finders fee is, what, 18.5% Canadian?

Sounds about right.

Richie (near The Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

P24p1 wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451627

p24p1, as much as I hate to do it, I guess I'll have to get out to the West coast for an inspection.

About 30 years ago I drove 800 miles on the seller's word that a Sunroof Syncro was "perfect". When I finally was within 100 feet of it, I started to look around for whatever I was going to use to beat that prick to death.

Richie (near The Burgh)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

RichieS wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

blah. . . blah . . .blah. . . I would LOVE to have a Syncro!

Your money might be best spent on upgrading that Syncro into a camper. It can be done. The hardest part is doing a poptop roof properly. Or maybe just use it as a tin top camper

Be careful of what you wish for. My biggest complaint is that the Syncro has all that extra hardware to drag around and decent parts are getting harder and harder to source. Don't get me wrong, come December I LOVE my Syncro.

I'm looking for a turn-key van (not a project) without spending a month crashing at my daughter's in the Bay Area.

Richie (Near The Burgh)

bay parts dont grow on trees either. Try to get yourself a QUALITY steering coupler, steering box, or some heat exchangers. edit- just to name a few parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: