Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify the Buggy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddiosmellio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Hi, Im new here. Just bought this. Located British Columbia Canada. Ive been trying to figure out what it is for a week. Been close but no cigar
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

I don't know what it is other than a nice one. I like the wheels what size are the rears if you don't mind me asking.
Daddiosmellio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
I don't know what it is other than a nice one. I like the wheels what size are the rears if you don't mind me asking.
I'll have a look when I get home
Coasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Any idea of what model buggy this is? I went through all 30 pages and each pic and didn't see one that matched this.

Thanks,
Pat
Marlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Looks to be an El Lobo
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Yep. It's an El Lobo. There's are other brand names that body was sold under, Lido, Le Tigre, Enos 500. Most common seems to be El Lobo. Made in So Cal.

Another source of info is Dune Buggy Archives.
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/?first=e

Unfortunately, all the pictures were stored on Photobucket. Then new owners of Photobucket got greedy and turned it into PhotoToilet. Damned shame because it had taken a decade or more to compile those thousands of photos contributed by users of the site. I had contributed some. But I don't remember which ones, or I would try to re-contribute them if there were a new place to store them permanently and always accessible to the public.

Maybe in the Gallery here, but how long will this site last. It seems most of the membership has moved on to Facebook these days, Although that just doesn't come close to the experience here. And where do you store photos that are posted on Facebook? And how long will they be available for reference. Damned hard to look up something that was posted on there before.

So for now, it would probably be best to post them up here.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

As an addendum to the above...
Posting the pictures in the Gallery here does NOT sort them by brand, nor does it do much to identify the buggy, as many of the pictures do not have any accurate description of what is shown. Once in a awhile you can look up a certain brand by name if you know it and find a picture or more of what you are looking for. More often not. If you don't know what brand it is, All you can do is look through the photos to see if there is one that is like what you're looking for and it's identified. Slim chance on that.

So you can still only read through them in this thread page by page, post by post...well, most are posted by someone wondering what it is that they have.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This is my first post so please let me know if I am in the correct area. I know so little about these vehicles, but was always intruiged. A cousin of mine decided to get rid of her buggy and gave me dibs since I have shown interest in the past. We are not close as I see her probably once a year at family reunions. Anyways, can anyone here provide any information on what she has, the value, etc.

Here is what I know:

• Registered as 1972
• Has 1969 Porsche engine
• There is a drain on the battery somewhere which I will need to fix
• She says she paid $6500 a few years back and is offering it to me for the same price
• She knows VERY little about the specifics of the car. She just always wanted one and enjoyed driving it a lot over the past few years
• Seafoam Green
• They have a custom top for it, but sending me pictures of that today
• She says it's a Manx, but I am not sure if it really is

Sorry I know so little, but I should have more/better pictures sometime soon. Thanks to anyone who can shed ANY light on this!

Mr. Wolfe
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

I don't' think it's a "REAL" Manx. But it looks nice.

I can't see enough of the engine to verify that it's a "Porsche". I don't think it is. But it IS possible. It LOOKS like a VW Type 1 engine. We would need more pics of the engine to verify what it really is. Some Porsche engines would pretty much bolt into an otherwise VW based buggy. And some "Porsche" engines are really VW engines that were used in the Porsche 914 which had a plate under the hood saying that it was manufactured by Volkswagen for Porsche. There ARE slight differences between the VW Type 4 engine used in VW Type 4 cars and early 1970s Buses and the ones used in Porsche 914s. Doesn't look like a Type 4. There is also the 1950s and early 1960s Porsche 356 4 cylinder engine and the late 60s Porsche 912 4cylinder engine.

But as I said above, we would need pictures of the engine to tell.

It's likely to be worth the asking price as it is. VW Engine in decent running condition. No tears in the upholstery.
SoCalBajas Member
Mr. Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I don't' think it's a "REAL" Manx. But it looks nice.

I can't see enough of the engine to verify that it's a "Porsche". I don't think it is. But it IS possible. It LOOKS like a VW Type 1 engine. We would need more pics of the engine to verify what it really is. Some Porsche engines would pretty much bolt into an otherwise VW based buggy. And some "Porsche" engines are really VW engines that were used in the Porsche 914 which had a plate under the hood saying that it was manufactured by Volkswagen for Porsche. There ARE slight differences between the VW Type 4 engine used in VW Type 4 cars and early 1970s Buses and the ones used in Porsche 914s. Doesn't look like a Type 4. There is also the 1950s and early 1960s Porsche 356 4 cylinder engine and the late 60s Porsche 912 4cylinder engine.

But as I said above, we would need pictures of the engine to tell.

It's likely to be worth the asking price as it is. VW Engine in decent running condition. No tears in the upholstery.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write. I am just digging into this world so I am a total newbie. Here are some more photos if it sheds any more light on it. Thanks again!

Mr. Wolfe
Mr. Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

I didn't think it was a Porsche engine, but just passing information on as I get it. I do, however, have an air-cooled...

Mr. Wolfe
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Well you DO have 1 air cooled Porsche. And it's a VERY nice one.

The engine in the buggy is DEFINITELY a VW Bug (aka Type 1) with single port heads. Probably 1600cc. Those heads were used on Bugs from 1966-70. The carb is a stock Solex 30PICT-2 or -3 from 1968 to 1970. Possibly an H30/31PICT, which was never used on Production VW Bugs for the US market, but was used on 1300cc Bugs in Mexico and Brazil and sold here as a replacement carb. It should say on the side of the bowl which it is. The distributor is a Bosch 009, non-vacuum advance unit. Some folks have trouble with an off-idle bog with that combination of carb and distributor. Not that either the distributor or the carb is bad, just not designed to work together. If you have that issue, fix is to either replace the carb or the distributor. A single vacuum advance distributor or a 30PICT-1 carb is the easy fix. About the same cost and difficulty either way.

You can look at the engine case serial number under the generator stand and look it up in the "Technical" tab above, VIN/Chassis Numbers - Type 1 to see what it is. It might have "AS-41" cast on the right side of the crankcase sump. That would be a case intended for a 1600 1971-74 or replacement. If it has no serial number under the generator stand, it is a replacement case.

It has a generator, NOT an alternator. An alternator could be fitted to it if the right stand is used, but the regulator would need to be changed or wired around to match.

The buggy looks pretty well built. I suspect it has IRS rear suspension, which is actually pretty similar to early 911 suspension. The 4-lug wheels say it is probably 1966 or later ball joint front suspension to go with the IRS rear.

You can tell what year VW Bug the chassis is from by looking just ahead of the rear fiberglass panel in the cockpit, on top of the tunnel there is an access plate for the shift linkage coupling. Just in front of that should be a VIN stamped in the top of the tunnel. You can check that on that list I sent you to for the engine.
SoCalBajas Member
Mr. Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Richard you are awesome and very generous. Your knowledge is both extensive and super-helpful. Let me digest everything you wrote and do some research myself. Again, thank you very much!

Mr. Wolfe

dustymojave wrote:
Well you DO have 1 air cooled Porsche. And it's a VERY nice one.

The engine in the buggy is DEFINITELY a VW Bug (aka Type 1) with single port heads. Probably 1600cc. Those heads were used on Bugs from 1966-70. The carb is a stock Solex 30PICT-2 or -3 from 1968 to 1970. Possibly an H30/31PICT, which was never used on Production VW Bugs for the US market, but was used on 1300cc Bugs in Mexico and Brazil and sold here as a replacement carb. It should say on the side of the bowl which it is. The distributor is a Bosch 009, non-vacuum advance unit. Some folks have trouble with an off-idle bog with that combination of carb and distributor. Not that either the distributor or the carb is bad, just not designed to work together. If you have that issue, fix is to either replace the carb or the distributor. A single vacuum advance distributor or a 30PICT-1 carb is the easy fix. About the same cost and difficulty either way.

You can look at the engine case serial number under the generator stand and look it up in the "Technical" tab above, VIN/Chassis Numbers - Type 1 to see what it is. It might have "AS-41" cast on the right side of the crankcase sump. That would be a case intended for a 1600 1971-74 or replacement. If it has no serial number under the generator stand, it is a replacement case.

It has a generator, NOT an alternator. An alternator could be fitted to it if the right stand is used, but the regulator would need to be changed or wired around to match.

The buggy looks pretty well built. I suspect it has IRS rear suspension, which is actually pretty similar to early 911 suspension. The 4-lug wheels say it is probably 1966 or later ball joint front suspension to go with the IRS rear.

You can tell what year VW Bug the chassis is from by looking just ahead of the rear fiberglass panel in the cockpit, on top of the tunnel there is an access plate for the shift linkage coupling. Just in front of that should be a VIN stamped in the top of the tunnel. You can check that on that list I sent you to for the engine.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Thame9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Can you help me identify the possible manufacturer of my old buggy? My parents bought this in 1978 from somewhere in the Southern United States. My dad assembled it. Driven a few years very little. Stored in a Barn since at least 1982 or 1983. Just pulled it out and am working to have it restored. But would like to be able to identify the manufacturer. So far unable to locate an marks, names or numbers on the body. Any ideas or suggestions?

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Thame9, your hood and the little rear spoiler are enough to verify that you have a California Clipper:

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/?first=c
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2885
Thame9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Thanks so much MrGoodtunes! I appreciate you taking the time to help me!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

Baja Buck wrote:

This buggy followed me home. It is on a 69 pan with a 1600 engine. Any idea on who made the body? The ribs on the side seem very unique.

B

... looks like a 'roll bar' made from exhaust pipe.

NO safety in that...

bnc
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

anybody ever see this one before. ?
Air George
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Identify the Buggy! Reply with quote

it’s fitting this split bus mountain buggy chassis niceley. Body was cut for some reason but no fiberglass is missing. The frame will need to be shortened another 3 inches. So body meets back up where it was cut. The craftsmanship on this thing is incredible. I’m losing sleep. Trying to place this thing. I jist got it a few wks ago but I’m positive I’ve seen the body before I believe it was a wtb add 3-5 yrs ago on the site.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: