Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Cool Bus. I can't remember ever seeing that Bus before so it may not have survived.

It would be hard to narrow down the year of the Bus without more photos but if you could scan the photos of the rear of it larger and lighten it up, you could tell if it had a center brake light in the decklid, which narrow it down to a 56/early 57 model. Otherwise mid-57/58.

I zoomed in and unfortunately it looks like in the best rear photo you posted that the woman on the left may have put her arm and leg over the area where the center brakelight might be:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Hey Everett,

I think I have like 3 more slides of the bus, I have to see if it has the middle brake light?

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

The VW.O.C.LA stopped at the "World's Smallest Post Office" on their 1958 Road Trip.....here's Mrs. Kuhn posed there in front of it. Smile

Another roadside stop for the VW.O.C.LA somewhere in Southern California March 1958.....

*As I have mentioned before if anyone from California regconises any of the places I post slides from, please let me know*

Enjoy!

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Hey Tom, Thanks so much for taking the time to post these awesome photos . . . VERY COOL!!! Smile
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

"Picnic Time"

It's time for an enjoyable picnic with the VW.O.C.LA in the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area.........

Enjoy!

Tom
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Once again, great pics.

Last edited by stale air on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing a reminder of how cool California was.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Wow! Color pics were much more uncommon for the day, so my favorite things are all the yellow license plates and the different ragtop colors. And my black 58 would've been 4 months old. What a great collection you have

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Thanks Stale, aa and Roach,

Yes, I was quite surprised to have found these and to have at least have some general information about that club.

This L 41 Black 1958 sedan is only a few months old in these slides and the Kuhn's L 240 Agave Green car sedan and their friend's L 329 Shetland Grey Metallic convertible about a year old, everything's so fresh and new here, BUT , it seems that this group of people had no issues with putting lots of miles on their Bugs, Buses, KG's and at least one 356 Porsche coupe......they drove all over Central Southern and Northern California.

I'm still organizing these, I have a handful of color slides and more medium format Black and White photos coming, I have to figure out a way to scan all these things, I currently don't have a scanner.

Enjoy!

Tom
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Quote:

Beautiful L 41 black Karmann Ghia coupe with lots of custom chrome trim and Continental sports tires with wire wheels, headrests and who knows what motor was in this one? Maybe a Porsche 356?

A very pretty car with an enthusiastic proud owner, has anyone ever seen this car before?
(Car show name unknown, but the slide was taken in 1964.)

Enjoy!

Tom

This black ghia was for sale a few years ago. Amazingly still around exactly like it was! http://www.oldbug.com/rallyghia.htm
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

d5626 wrote:
Quote:

Beautiful L 41 black Karmann Ghia coupe with lots of custom chrome trim and Continental sports tires with wire wheels, headrests and who knows what motor was in this one? Maybe a Porsche 356?

A very pretty car with an enthusiastic proud owner, has anyone ever seen this car before?

Enjoy!

Tom

This black ghia was for sale a few years ago. Amazingly still around exactly like it was! http://www.oldbug.com/rallyghia.htm

WOW!

Aaaaaamazzzzzzzzzzzzing, that this car survived and it belonged to ANOTHER club the FCCA Four Cylinder Club Of America that's another club I never heard of.
$35k that was strong money years ago, but the car is worth every penny of that and then some now, a vintage Californian Low Lite Karmann Ghia with loads of historical rally and concours attendance.

Thanks so much for adding that to this thread.

Tom
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Hmmmm....wondering if we e er scanned more pics from the past..more interesting than Huell Howser.....the cars and the state...
Thomas Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:

The VW.O.C.LA stopped at the "World's Smallest Post Office" on their 1958 Road Trip.....here's Mrs. Kuhn posed there in front of it. Smile

*As I have mentioned before if anyone from California regconises any of the places I post slides from, please let me know*

Enjoy!

Tom

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this photo in the meantime. It's on California Route 33 north of Ojai, slightly south of the Wheeler Gorge Campground. I passed by this location in 2004 during the Karmann Ghia Parts & Restoration Ghia Tour that started at the VW dealer Barber Volkswagen in Ventura, CA in May, though I don't remember spotting it. I looked on GoogleMaps and the building is still there!
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.507712,-119.292627...312!8i6656
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Love the red club flags.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
More vintage slides from the VW.O.C.LA this time featuring some "Lowlight" Karmann Ghia's. Very Happy

A L 330 trout blue Karmann Ghia coupe is actively taking part in a VW.O.C.LA Gymkhana. (June 1959).

Enjoy!

Tom

My friend, Bob, owns that black ghia. It has a 356 engine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10901
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Terrific photos .

The overlook parking is also on Ca. S.R. 33 just South of Ojai .

I really like seeing these picture of when I was young and young folks enjoying their new VW's as they should .

No reason / excuse to not so the same today, I'm piling the miles on my survivor '59 # 113 as fast as I can .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Terrific photos .

The overlook parking is also on Ca. S.R. 33 just South of Ojai .

From 2016:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

[/i]

VWNate, if it's this photo you mean, the site is actually on Rt 150 east of Ojai. The overlook off the west side of the highway has a prominent sign for The Ojai Valley. It's on the way down into the Ojai Valley from the Dennison Grade. Rt 150 comes up from Santa Paula. Here's a shot from GoogleMaps taken from the overlook. It shows more area than the VW shot, but you can see that the VW/Kuhn shot ends just to the right of the highest peak.

I was also there at the overlook a few times in 2004, though not in a VW. Rt 33 comes up to Ojai southwest from Ventura, thru Ojai and heads north over the mountains (The Topa Topas?) where the tiny post office photo was taken.

This general area and the mountains are seen in the classic movie "Lost horizon" from 1937.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Oops ~ I'm wrong yet again, nothing new .

I've been driving that road since 1969 and love it, used to be about 1/10th the traffic but it's always a good place to pull out when on a club ride .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare and Beautiful 35mm color slides just found of CA. VW Club Reply with quote

Those slides are a monster find! Only thing i find around here at garage/estate sales are Herb Alpert Whipped Cream and Other Delights albums!!

Good stuff!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: