Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 356 head restraints
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

I am considering buying a 356, probably a 356C, "driver" quality, but I am concerned about the low back seats (whiplash risk).

I have seen cylinder-shaped head restraints on some Porsche 356 examples. These appear to be "factory", perhaps an option??? These appear to be attached though bolt holes in the back of the seat (I saw a video of a seat being rebuilt).

My questions:

Did Porsche build any 356 seats to accommodate head restraints, even if the car did come with them from the factory?

If so, which years or models are able to be retrofit with head restraints without modifying the seat structure?

Thank you very much for your help!
DTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

OOps! I meant to say "even if the car did NOT come with them" from the factory.

Sorry!
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

My 62 B cab came with rather poor quality aftermarket head rests but with correct mounting brackets. These were not on the COA. I had the seats rebuilt with original type leather and had the four mounting brackets rechromed. Willing to sell for the brackets for $150. If interested I can send a pic.
They are screwed into the back of the seats. I don’t have the original screws.
DTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, slip356!

If I am understanding this correctly, because head restraints were not listed in the COA for your car, yet yours had the internal mounts, that means factory seats also likely have internal mounts for head restraints.

Good to know! I don't need these now, but thanks for the offer. I am thinking about buying a 356C (driver quality), and I am sure my wife won't let me drive one without head restraints!! So, I am trying to figure out how difficult (or easy) it is to install them.

Thanks again for your help.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

Yes you are correct, however these are all mounted with screws into the metal in the seat back
See 62 B cab on BAT now to get the idea. Don’t believe these are the correct screws however.
Good luck in your search.
DTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

Thanks for the BAT reference. Perfect picture there!
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

my 58 cab didn't come with head rest but the seat back has the tabs in place for them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

1966 - 69 912 seats all had head rests. You could look at aftermarket seats and just save your originals.
DTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 head restraints Reply with quote

badsix:

Thank you very much for the photo!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: