Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gray paint for metal parts of the Westy interior - which is it?
Dove Gray
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Stone Gray
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Smoke Gray
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Granite
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dark Machine Gray
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been browsing the forum for tips on repainting some metal in my Westy (1990, so gray): grille under the fridge, front table leg, etc. I've found several paint tones. So... which is it?
I understand none won't be a perfect match. But if you've used one of these, what's your experience? How does the colour compare to the stock Westfalia grey?

1/ DOVE GREY
Brands and references mentioned:
Krylon 1605,
Valspar 165816,
Plasti-kote 364
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/PAINT-AEROSOL-DOVE-GREY-15OZ/p/RLMV2184-838

2/ STONE GREY - SATIN
Rustoleum Painter's Touch
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer...one%20Gray

3/ SMOKE GREY - SATIN - result: sometimes darker, sometimes lighter than stock
Rustoleum 7786
(Apparently hard to find in spray cans)
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-K7786-402-RUST-OLEUM-K7786402-Enamel/dp/B001CESK8C

4/ GRANITE - SATIN
Rustoleum Painter's Touch 249855
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rust-oleum-painte...1000777568
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer...one%20Gray

5/ DARK MACHINE GRAY - ENAMEL - result: darker than stock
Rustoleum
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/PAINT-AEROSOL-DK-MACHINE-GREY-15OZ/p/RLMV2187-838

6/ WARM GRAY
SEM 15183
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PKX0GG

Reference posts or threads:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257439
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528786
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9627239#9627239

Last edited by VicVan on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Stone Gray to my eye
Rear discs
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

not #5 - i went with that and it is much darker...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Rustoleum Granite Satin has been my go to for years. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Smoke Stone Gray is too light to be a match for the metal components, which are about the color of the rubber trim:

I used Krylon's River Rock on the skylight plastic, which is a good match for the poptop components, but is a touch grayer than the original color.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

I used the Dark Machine Gray for the stove front and trim on my truckfridge. It looks good to my eye, but darker than the gray used on the table legs. The OEM stove front color always looked kind of dingy to me, so pleased with the new color.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

I have used this combination for all my Westy projects:

Preparation: SEM 38353 Plastic / Leather Prep Aerosol Spray

Paint: SEM 15183 Warm Gray Color Coat

Clear Coat: SEM 13023 Color Coat - Low Luster Clear Aerosol

The Isotherm fridge controller bezel and the Truckfridge frame pictured below are both painted in this method.

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Kourt, you're not supposed to add to the confusion by throwing in yet another color... Surprised
I'll update the list!

I like the dark machine grey, even though it's a bit darker. Is the enamel going to be more scratch-resistant than usual spray paint?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Rustoleum Gloss Smoke Grey but it looks darker to me, not lighter than stock. Regardless, I like it a lot.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

I've noticed several different gray colors in Westies, so it depends on which gray one is trying to match. Personally, I've been using the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Stone Gray Satin for at least a couple years now. (They may win the award for longest paint name!)

I've also noticed what seems to be color-changing paint in Westies. Particularly the stove front (where the knobs are) and the table legs look almost olive-green under the right light or at least have a touch of green apparent. I really don't care for that gray hue and have used the Stone Gray Satin on the table legs, the skylight cover and other things. Eventually the stove front too...

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Smoke Gray is too light to be a match for the metal components, which are about the color of the rubber trim:

kamz, you say Smoke Grey is too light but your annotated photo shows a light gray that is named Stone Gray. I only point this out because I found Smoke Grey to be relatively dark.

jimf909 wrote:
Rustoleum Gloss Smoke Grey but it looks darker to me, not lighter than stock. Regardless, I like it a lot.

I'm afraid the only answer may be in our pitching in $ to buy six cans of spray paint to see what's what.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
I've noticed several different gray colors in Westies, so it depends on which gray one is trying to match.

I hadn't noticed that... For now, it's the grille under the fridge, and the small grille on the upper left side of the fridge cabinet.

SyncroHead wrote:
Personally, I've been using the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Stone Gray Satin for at least a couple years now. (They may win the award for longest paint name!)

Can you describe how it compares to the stock color (say the table leg or the stove front?)

jimf909 wrote:

I'm afraid the only answer may be in our pitching in $ to buy six cans of spray paint to see what's what.

Yup.... It looks like the end result depends on the lighting, and 45 other variables. If I accept that I can't have the stock color, I'll just buy the first one I find on my next trip to the grocery store, and call it!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Yup.... It looks like the end result depends on the lighting, and 45 other variables. If I accept that I can't have the stock color, I'll just buy the first one I find on my next trip to the grocery store, and call it!

That sounds familiar. These are my notes from probably 3-5 or more years ago. It looks like I copied Kourt's recs exactly as he noted above. When it came time to paint, I didn't want to order paint and the local Ace had Rustoleum 7786(830), and I went with it.

Quote:
Resources
- Gray paint: Rustoleum7786 Smoke Grey . . . got it at Lowe's
- SEM 15183 matches the factory grey trim color almost perfectly. 
- SEM 13023 is a low luster clear that will make the grey the same sheen as factory
- SEM 38353 is a cleaner that you use to clean/prep the plastic before painting.

Abscate wrote:

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Is there a RAL or other standardized equivalent?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
kamz, you say Smoke Grey is too light but your annotated photo shows a light gray that is named Stone Gray. I only point this out because I found Smoke Grey to be relatively dark.

Proofreading fail!🤦🏻‍♀️

It is Stone Gray.

ZsZ wrote:
Is there a RAL or other standardized equivalent?

Brown = RAL 8028
Gray = RAL 7037
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Dove Gray has some yellow in it that looks right to my eye. Some of the others are bluish or "battleship". It may be that with time and use the interior yellows a bit, so the blue-grays look too blue.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

I like the dark machine grey, even though it's a bit darker. Is the enamel going to be more scratch-resistant than usual spray paint?

The enamel has held up pretty well on the metal stove face. I wish I took the time to do a better job stripping the original paint and prepping the surface. I can see some flecks under the surface and a few bubbles. Pretty sure I used the same enamel on the plastic truckgridge trim and there are a few small chips in it.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Here’s what I used for my fridge project. A bit lighter than the plastic beading but looks great imho.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

Pending Revision

Last edited by derekdrew on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interior gray paint - which is it? Reply with quote

derekdrew wrote:

I took pictures.

Yes, please to pictures.

Thanks for taking the effort to test and share results.

Pics? Laughing

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: