Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Race Built Beetles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marknmelcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
bandi wrote:
I ended up with this a few years ago. Apparently it ran GT3 class quite competitively in the 90s.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This car was prepared by Ernie Abel of Wiarton, Ont., and was a Canadian road racing champion. From what I understand, it also ran a type 3 body for awhile.
Ernie said it had something like six oil coolers, but still ran hot! Good to see it's still around.

I chatted with Ernie about it just after I picked it up- it still has 6 oil coolers. I'm amazed that with how much history the thing has in the road racing scene here that I can't find any more old photos of it. I'd love to eventually go back to the original livery.

That's really interesting about the Type 3 body- I had no idea!

Hi Bandi,

We lost Ernie this week. I was just going through some pictures and found yours. As a young fella, I used to work for Ernie and would go with him on different road trips with "Herb" as he was known. In the way back days, driver Leroy Myeow (hope I have the spelling sort of close) and Ernie called the team "L'ern Racing".

If I remember well, it actually started when Ernie bought a car trailer (float), and it ....welll - came with a partly finished Type 3. Leroy heard about it and approached Ernie about doing something..... well - they did.

You can see the original Type-3 in the original livery, with the later pics just to the right. Sorry for the quality - these are just cell phone pictures from wall hangers in his shop.

Later in-carnations (see what I did there) - were obviously the type-1. Fond memories of Herb just destroying the competition at Mosport back in the day when Mike Kusnicki was driving.

Ernie had some pretty cool stories and tech that was learned from that car. Happy to share if you want to reach out sometime. You can find me through the K-W & Area Bug Club, if you are looking.

/Mark
'15 Tiguan 4mo - 'Tig'
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
I heard the news about Ernie, so sad. That's going to leave a big void in the VW community.

It's so cool to see the car with the Type 3 body. I'm glad it ended up as a Beetle in the end, though! Thanks for sharing the photo.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

Oh that is horrifying are you ok?!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Oh that is horrifying are you ok?!

My Brother in Law was driving when another car that had run out of fuel, was crawling along on the fastest straight at Sebring. Duane was on the bumper of two BMW's in front of him, when they abruptly turned left to avoid hitting the disabled Malibu. Duane hit him at about 80mph, which sent him into an airborne spin. He was then T-Boned in the drivers side by a Miata.
Duane was unconscious when they got to him. After cutting him out, he was airlifted to a trauma center. Thankfully, he checked out OK, and came back to the track hours later. He was pretty sore, and his tailbone hurt for a year.
I firmly believe his HANS Device saved his life.
Three cars totaled, but everyone came out OK. We built a new car and made it back to the same race the following year.

69 OG paint Transporter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

That's crazy carnage! So glad to hear everyone was ok.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

Hey John,Those look like the Vw's & pintos that use to race where I grew up Flat Rock Speedway, it was a paved 1/4mile ,the Mini's had the Track record time wise Laughing pissed the v8 guys off, They seemed to find a way 'Rule them off the track' or some Bs Rolling Eyes Mini's ran down in Toledo Oh, too. 'AutoCraft' vw style Race engines started down ther Wink ,,Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

This class was cool. Then front engine inline 4 cylinder cars started to dominate. I turned 18 right around the time things started to decline for the VW’s. I really wanted one. My Father was busy racing racing his own stock car class. I’ll post more pics shortly. It’s funny, there was one guy with a blue Vw sprint and I would pic his brain in the pits, all the time. Then years later I was in California and saw his Racecar on the Gene Bergs wall of customer pics. I thought that was pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

It's really a small world,,cool ya got to see it Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

We used to do some Dirt track racing in Okeechobee, Florida .
Absolute Blast. If the track was still open, I would still be doing it.😀

69 OG paint Transporter
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Built Beetles Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: