Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preparing a new article Hebmuller 006, looking for feedback
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbugz60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Mike, remember the back bumper and brackets, being on the front, and about a foot away from the body?
And those "support rails" under the body... yikes Shocked !!!!

Come on Dave, I thought it looked good for a dirt track car.
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, we had no responsibilty for anything inside the car. Our job was simply to metal finish the outside.

Scott does not work for me, has never has worked for me, and Ennis (according to Garies) was the first time Scott had ever even seen the car.

@mbugz60

When we showed it at the Motorplex only about 10% of our job was completed (metal finishing). Garies wanted to show it and let people see it driving. We roughly assembled it, started it, and made it run, and drove Garies around the Motorplex.

This photo was taken on the way to Ennis. You can see the rusty frame rails on the front of the trailer, under the tie downs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@Dave

The "fresh restoration" you saw was after Scott got his hands on the vehicle.

@swagen60beetle

swagen60beetle wrote:
"The reason the car didn't sag in the first pic was there was no weight in the car."

When we showed the car at the Motorplex it was fully loaded, engine, interior, etc. There was no sag.

swagen60beetle wrote:
"The guy had started the metal work but never finished it."

You'll see in the final posts that the metal work this shop was responsible for was absolutely complete. (Still going through pictures to archive and finalize the reconstruction post.) Again, there's no way this car could be restored only reconstructed!

swagen60beetle wrote:
"What made it hard to get done was that half the parts that went to that tyler shop never came back. There was a list at least a page long of missing parts."

This is how we received the car... stripped (no front end sheet metal, empty doors, no interior, no engine, no transmission. Only the suspension, steering, and rear axles were in place).

We had nothing to do with the parts, just the metal work.

It's unfortunate that this post has become so political, but we'll continue to post the remainder of the project in it's entirety in http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425228

Last edited by Thetinwizard on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
swagen60beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats funny is that you picked the car up from our shop in wylie and i helped you push the car onto the trailer. Odd that part was forgotten. You gave done a list of the parts you needed to put the car together and i remember this list cause I'm the one that put the parts in the boxes and marked off the list what went to you, And Don took the parts to you. i remember the day the car arrived at our shop in wylie and we went down to tyler talked to you about the car and what Don wanted done. I remember this cause there was a metropolitan in your shop and a 914 getting metal fender flares. A week later you picked the car up from our shop in Wyile. I remember cause you said you had to borrow the SUV and the trailer to pick up the car. Any of this ringing a bell yet? I have a mind like a steel trap i never forget a detail on anything. I remember every car i have ever worked on and what i have done to them. When we picked the car up from you it was sitting out in the rain cause you told Don to come get it and you didn't want to deal with him anymore. Don was tired of coming down there every week to find very very little done on the car. When we got it back to the shop none of the welds in the wheels wells were ground, there were sloppy welds between the front inner fender and spare tire panel. The welds that hold the gas tank support to the body weren't finished, The frame rails were just tack welded, and had 1 x 1/8 plate welded to the heater channels and frame rails. Like i said i can go all day. I am here for the truth to be out about Heb #6. I spent more time with that car then anyone and know every inch of it. So put that in your archive.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Clarification... Reply with quote

swagen60beetle wrote:
When we picked the car up from you it was sitting out in the rain...

As can clearly be seen, it was absolutely dry When Mr. Garies called, and we rolled the car outside. (Dated 12/11/2001)

---------------

When the car left Wiz's shop it was packed front to rear, bottom, to above the doors.

Bumper brackets, wind screen, rear seat section, glass, etc. The back seat area is clearly full.

Running boards and ribbed body moldings on top of more glass.

The Tin Wizard,

Posted by: Jason (engineering tech)

LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There musta been cleanup effort greater than the BP spill in this thread. Very nice work, glad to see everything straigtened out. I'd love to learn to do metal finishing some day, it's just such a badass talent. Laughing
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing a new article Hebmuller 006, looking for feedback Reply with quote

I am on the lookout for picts when Hebmuller nr 6 was dismanteled after Don Garies bought it in Texas. We all know the movie when it was pulled out of a garage.. https://forums.pre67vw.com/posts/t16309-HEBMULLER-nr-6--live---Several-years-ago
Want to find what color that car was under the red as I think that was not the original color ?
Is there anybody out there that have such picts?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: