Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuckeyeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

I'm looking for an alternative to the Eberspacher Bn4 thermostat that seems to be more and more difficult to find. I have a Fenwell thermoswitch that will turn on and off at a preset temperatures
, but it is not adjustable once installed on the vehicle. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

At the risk of lots of ridicule, I will tell you how I did mine.

My car's BN4 thermostat came with a broken "barber pole" bi-metallic spring.

For the output duct, I fabricated an adapter for a simple adjustable snap disc limit switch.

Example:

It is connected electrically just like the original part. It prevents an overheat condition in the output duct.

Inside the car, in place of the cable, I installed a 100KΩ linear potentiometer to control a Velleman Mk 137 thermostat.
Example:

The potentiometer and thermistor (the blue blip) were removed from the board , and mounted remotely, so the board itself is enclosed in a tiny "project box" behind the dash.
The thermostat switches the gray wire from the heater.

All of this stuff cost less than $40. It is all reversible if I ever come across a good original part for a good price.

Meanwhile, with this setup, the thermostat is regulating the temperature inside the cabin, not inside the output duct.

Considering that I drive my Thing 99 44/100% of the time with the top down, none of this long story means very much!

Good luck, Mondshine

Edit:
I used a Velleman Mk 137 thermostat to regulate the BN2 heater in my 1971 Super which was my daily driver here in Michigan from 2008-2013.
Ordinarily, BN2's don't have any thermostatic control; they are either on or off.
In this photo, you can see the potentiometer and thermistor (the little blue blip) on the left side dash panel.

I miss that car.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuckeyeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

Yes Mondshine, my old thermostat literally fell apart during the repair of the Bn4. I appreciate your suggestions, and will work on it this week. Updates to follow. Thanks again.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

i use this type

which seems to be more robust? at least in europe its still available.
BuckeyeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

Looks pretty nifty Perello. Looks like German Supply. Can that be installed on the BN4 Thing heater? Thanks for your help.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

Here's a line drawing from the BN4 manual. It's an early model heater, but you will get the idea.

You can see the stamped metal temperature regulator as it would be installed on the sheet metal ductwork common to Type 2's; notice the rectangular hole where it is fitted.

I have never seen a plastic "181 style" output duct set up with the the rectangular hole for the stamped metal regulator.

I cannot speak to the rarity/availability of the 181 output duct, but I would be reluctant to chop mine up unless I had another one in hand. That's not to imply that it can't be done; but I always prefer to make modifications that are reversible.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

Good post on the gas heater. mine caught fire a couple of falls ago and although it worked fine for over 10 years .now It makes me nervous so it's in inop mode...Since I don't drive past Nov I just dress warmer..I would like to get it operating again so these tips are handy..I have. 8 or ten of them (gas heaters) but nobody works on them anymore..but I buy them for parts, just in case..I also have a Eberpacher in my 74 Bus.the fuel pump is broken so she sits ..My experience is w a 64 bus and the thing one...Last time I had a airplane mechanic fix it as they are common on light twin airplanes.
We fixed one on a small plane in Grand Junction Co a few years ago on a cross country trip..but it was only a couple of fuses.. Fun trip..Good luck Bill inPR
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

BuckeyeBus wrote:
Looks pretty nifty Perello. Looks like German Supply. Can that be installed on the BN4 Thing heater? Thanks for your help.

Yes, direct replacement.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, direct replacement.

Perello- Please post a photo of that thermostat on your Thing BN4.

Thanks, Mondshine
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

now i realise that probably the plastic duct is different?
BuckeyeBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher Bn4 Thermostat Reply with quote

I like how that is configured. I see German Supply does not have any in stock. Any idea where I can buy one??? Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: