Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

Hi all;

I've been slowly working through my 74's front suspension. I've had 2 other beetles, both before TheSamba, or, wide internet usage so it's been a while since I"ve been in the practice.

My steering has a deadspot. I'm replacing parts that are obviously worn (both lower bj's, will get to the uppers soon. both outer Tie Rods are done. But I still have an dead spot.

I've read about the steering boxes being notoriously bad. My friend says there is a "nut" you can tighten, kind of like a grub screw, but that it's only temporary. I"d like to remove the deadspot if possible.

Is there a thread that refers to this? I haven't found it yet. Thanks in advance.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

I assume you have a Standard and not a Super.

This might help:

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

Where in the travel is the “dead spot”? It might just be the center point.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE ADJUSTMENT STUD!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

There are two adjustments one is adjusted from the front of steering box and the other one is on top.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

And if you do it wrong you can destroy your steering box real quick.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

Covered on Front Axle 21 - 23 of the Bentley manual Don't have time to copy it for you but maybe someone will. I'll check back tomorrow.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

Center is the dead spot. A friend said it had to be adjusted frequently.

Anything on the adjuster for the front of the steering box?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

If it needed attention often, then it is probably toast. They do not require any attention, really. They are very stout units.

The front nut, it’s a big one, with the locking nut is for removing the free play from the worm gear. The other one on top is for the roller gear.

Read through this thread for the info needed. Very nice write up!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope you can read them.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - loose steering, suspension rebuilding Reply with quote

Before adjusting the steering box the key is to remove all other sources of play/slop in the front end. Wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box mounting hardware, etc.

Once all that is good you can proceed to adjust the steering box.

In most cases you shouldn’t have to mess with the adjustment at the giant nut. The one that needs semi-regular checking and adjustment is the one at the top of the box with the 17mm lock nut.

Front wheels need to be off the ground, steering wheel turned 90 degrees to either side from center.

Loosen lock nut, unscrew the adjusting screw a bit. The bottom end of the adjusting screw, which you can’t see, is a bearing surface. When adjusted properly, it just makes contact with the top of the roller shaft inside the box to keep the roller shaft from moving up and down in the box (thus causing play/slop in the steering).

So you tighten the adjusting screw very gently until you just feel it contact the top of the roller. I’m talking just contact. You don’t tighten it further, tighter is not better. Then you tighten the lock nut.

Again, do not over tighten the adjuster. For serious. New steering boxes are trash so try to make your old one last.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: