Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 dash knobs (photos included)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Saw a couple of good threads that almost answered what I needed. I wanted to make sure I order the correct items.

I'm assuming wiper and headlights, but need to be certain.

What is the hole for just to the left of the hazard?

What are the two holes I point too: one on the steering column and the one to the left on the dash?

As always, thanks for your help !!!

-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Left of emergency knob is the headlight switch

Left of dash pod is the wiper switch

Hole on left side of pod is the overhead light switch.
This

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

That ^^^^^ looks like a '67 flasher switch, not a '66.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Thank you again Everett.

crukab ... that is what came with it when I bought. My electrical friend is coming over this week to help me do some final wring. If we can make that work, great. Otherwise I'll need to search classifieds to get one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

That is from my '66 ^^^^^^^^

Things do get changed out over 50+ years, but look at the slots in your dash compared to mine, '67 has a wider radio hole, maybe yours is a '67 ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Tom... I took it out to look. Yes, the hole is smaller. And on top of the dash on the back side, it has a small "dimple" that allows the knob box to sort of set around the dimple to sort of seat it.

Not sure if a 66 or 67, but fits snug. I'll know this week when we hook up... assuming it still works ha-ha.

Thanks
-Mark

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

67 has 1 year only dash/radio hole. Only 1 slot to the left of radio. (like your pic)

Pre 67 dash. 3 slots to left of radio.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Thank you again Everett.

crukab ... that is what came with it when I bought. My electrical friend is coming over this week to help me do some final wring. If we can make that work, great. Otherwise I'll need to search classifieds to get one.

your bus is a 1967 model. check your vin number. the 3rd digit should be 7. as to your electrical friend coming over. please please print out a color wiring diagram for your bus that is located in the Technical section on this page. the color wiring diagrams are an awesome tool to have when working on the wiring on your bus. ive seen many people butcher the wiring because they did not follow the diagram.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

66-67 have a slightly more complicated wiring system than -65 so I agree that a printed out color wiring diagram from this site will be an asset along with the correct parts like a 9 pin relay, hi/lo relay, and a 66-67 turn signal switch.

Your dash does appear to be a 67 dash and the knob is correct for a '67. Also, the 67 emergency flasher knob has a larger shaft than the 66 if I remember correctly. In other words, a 66 knob will "fit" in a 67 switch (although sloppy) but a 67 knob will not fit in a 66 switch.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Widehatch... the third number on my vin is a "6" ... And yes, good idea on a color diagram... thank you

Okie - maybe they switched out the dash? I don;t know, but the vin plate and my title are both 1966.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

I'm not doubting or disputing your VIN number but I looked through your gallery and it looks like your bus has reverse lights which are a later 67 feature but could have been added or optioned of course. Also, your rear hatch looks like a 67 in the one photo I can see it in. Just curious, does your gas door have a church key hole or is it spring loaded with a finger pull?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

The gas cover has a church key. Is that a 66 or 67 feature?
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Widehatch... the third number on my vin is a "6" ... And yes, good idea on a color diagram... thank you

Okie - maybe they switched out the dash? I don;t know, but the vin plate and my title are both 1966.

strange. since your doors are different its possible that your bus could of been wrecked in the past and had a front clip replaced at one time. your radio hole is the 67 style. id start looking under the dash and under the bus for any evidence of metal being replaced. i would also check all 3 vin numbers and make sure they all match.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

widehatch... good suggestion... plus I might ask the PO if he is aware of anything.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
The gas cover has a church key. Is that a 66 or 67 feature?

66 is the last year of the church key gas door.

Can you confirm, is there a relief in the metal under the hatch and above decklid for you to pull the hatch open?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Okie... I am not sure what that is. Do you have a pic?
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

FYI a 67 gas door will look like this

widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Okie... I am not sure what that is. Do you have a pic?

this is what Okie is talking about

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

My gas cover is not that one. It has a hole with the church key mechanism in it.

Below is a pic I had on my phone photos. Not sure if you can see it good.
I actually have new button on order from WW.

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic, widehatch.

Interesting, markeaton your bus looks to have the 67 rear hatch and decklid hinge carrier section. The image widehatch posted above is the 64-66 style with the relief and round push button release.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: