Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just found this
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Just found this Reply with quote

I'm ok, with cutting this out and welding in new material. Is that overkill? I'm thinking its not. But what's on the other side? Is there a chance of fire in the car? What is this area called? Thanks Dan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

That's a lot of heavy scale so it's going to be a lot worse after you get it cleanup for an evaluation. What should be under the first layer of metal is the heater channel which will mostly need a repair piece put in as well. Maybe not but most likely. One way to clean that area up is to use a twisted knot brush on a 4 1/2" grinder. Use all the PPE needed.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

What's on the other side is the forward section of the heater channel which has three captive nuts in the bottom that the front of your floor pan bolts up into. The pic below is the passenger side, but it's the same on the driver's side.

You're going to find that that rust goes a lot further and is more extensive than your picture would have you believe. You won't know how much metal you have to replace until you cut out all that rust and find solid steel to weld onto.

This pic below, which is for the driver's side, is what the forward section of the heater channel looks like. It's more structural than functional. The front of it welds to the lower corner of your front firewall. The inside lip is what the front of your floor pan welds to. The holes on the inside and top is where your wiring harness goes through on the way up the "A" pillar into the trunk. This is from a 74 super, if you have a standard they attach a little different up front.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

Ok, thanks!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

If this isn't much worse than it appears. It should be pretty straightforward, correct? It seems like there's multiple layers of metal there. I know sometimes rust can layer like that. The repair patch will just be a single piece correct? I'll probably scrape all the coating off. Its just peeling away, slight effort.

A couple hour job?

[/img]
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

Can i treat this area from inside the car after the repair has been made?
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

I would withhold judgment on what you can do after you dig it out and see how bad it is.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

I can fix this. I'm not worried about that. I told myself when I bought this bug. "Weekend repairs" I don't want to start huge projects that keeps this off the road. If it needs restoration at some point fine. I'll put heat in the garage and tackle the pan one winter. And then split the body work up into 1 winter projects. I don't want to let this SIT! I'm just debating on the length of time and whats involved.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
I can fix this. I'm not worried about that. I told myself when I bought this bug. "Weekend repairs" I don't want to start huge projects that keeps this off the road. If it needs restoration at some point fine. I'll put heat in the garage and tackle the pan one winter. And then split the body work up into 1 winter projects. I don't want to let this SIT! I'm just debating on the length of time and whats involved.

Get some heat in the garage! The spot that you showed is the inner wheel well (that is missing part of itself) and the heater channel (frame of the car at a very critical point) with a hole already eaten out of it. That hole has allowed water to gain access to the rest of the channels interior. The part you can not see! Your in for a heater channel!

I have done “quickie” heater channel replacements in several hours, with the body elevated on 4x8s between the tunnel and the body. But that is a rough go of it. Hard to get everything just right and you end up with little holes in the interior from flying sparkles!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this Reply with quote

I chose to put all 4 fenders back on. I took the rear off to replace torsion bushings. The mating surfaces of the fenders has some slight pitting in areas. So I took the front off to investigate. I'll take care of this this winter.

The car rides MUCH better with new rear bushings and new tires.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: