Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

Came up with this the other weekend for open engine off road setups only. I didn't like the filter just wiping around and don't want the filter under the car either. Not a fan of zip-ties or metal clamps so I printed this up made from abs and used 3M trim molding tape. Thoughts comments? Fits all 1.2 OD filters you get at the vw shops or online its a light friction fit not crushing the filter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

Ditch plastics filter for metal one, and make new mount....

Good quality EFI style clamps are your friend...

https://www.belmetric.com/zincgalvanized-screw-clamps-c-15_143_1062/

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

I like the modern ingenuity, I just don't like adhesive.

Some duderino makes these: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1901747

I've never had a problem on my off road vehicle with the 'stock' sized fuel lines and no hose clamps and the fuel filter above the transmission.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

I think the filter above the engine is no big deal, but I don't like it on the pressure side of the fuel pump. I would not run off road without clamps on the fuel lines.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

When your pump output is set right Find it hard to believe 2.5 psi would blow off fuel lines especially when your stretching .197 to .250 that outer braiding is like a Chinese finger lock. I did have the input nipple blow out on a china made 30pic that was scary. But I agree that the filter on the vacuum side is better.

Its when you have a 1/4 inch fuel line on a 5mm nipple that you've crossed in to true hack territory argue all you want its the wrong size especially on the pressure side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

Plastic fuel filter on the pressure side right above the coil and other ignition parts? No thanks!!! I do like the mount though, nice work, but the whole thing would be under the fuel tank on my car.
tsutclif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

62 with a 71 1.6.
I had a pull off the road because the engine died situation. I was able to determine the cause which was a heavily clogged fuel filter. The filter was located in the engine compartment so it was obvious. So one vote for filter placement.

Had the the tank replaced and after only using 1/2 tank full the car refused to start. The filter was once again the problem. Changed it again no start. At this point the carb was swamped out with a German 34pict-3 and everything is now normal.

Questions

1. The pump is not rebuildable and I’m assuming it has an internal or filter. Since I was able to clog up 2 filter in such a short period I would think the fuel pump is a good candidate for replacement because it is likely clogged.

2. A filter in the engine compartment seems to be a topic of much debate, but having it there make inspection very easy. It is on the pressure side of the pump.

3. The fact that the fuel filter became clogged after a new tank implies that the line may not have been clean out. That’s an easy fix. Opinions on putting a new inline filter under the tank and keeping the existing filter in the engine compartment. Is this overkill?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

The filter needs to be on the suction side of the fuel pump. Filters are much cheaper to replace than fuel pumps. If you must have a second one after the pump buy a metal one, put good clamps on the lines and try and keep it and the lines away from the coil and distributor. The reason should be very obvious.

I once bought an old Bus for parts and it had 4 plastic fuel filters in the system so the number is not an issue but it had 4 times the chances of an engine fire!
tsutclif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

Yes that makes sense to me as well. Ironically, the tank was replaced by a German car "Specialty" shop so you would think they would have suggested the change.

I will blowout the fuel line, nix the engine compartment filter, and use a metal can type immediately after the tank outlet.

Thank you.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1.2 od plastic fuel filter mount Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
When your pump output is set right Find it hard to believe 2.5 psi would blow off fuel lines especially when your stretching .197 to .250 that outer braiding is like a Chinese finger lock. I did have the input nipple blow out on a china made 30pic that was scary. But I agree that the filter on the vacuum side is better.

Its when you have a 1/4 inch fuel line on a 5mm nipple that you've crossed in to true hack territory argue all you want its the wrong size especially on the pressure side.

This exactly.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: