Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

I just replaced my fuel lines again including adding barbed fittings to the hard line-to-rubber hose connections and installing MansiSpeed fuel injectors.

I ran a fuel pressure test to check for leaks and, while I have no external leaks, I do get a few PSI of pressure drop over 5-10 minutes.

On really hot days, when I'm parked in the sun, the van will struggle to start if it's sat for hours. It will crank and sputter and stall unless I feather the gas pedal for a few seconds until it idles correctly. This is very occasional but it has gone on for years.

It seems to me that the FPR may be allowing my fuel pressure to bleed down under those conditions resulting in the hard start.

Does that seem likely?

Why would it only happen on hot days and not all the time?

Last edited by SCM on Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Could hot start issue be caused by fuel pressure regulator? Reply with quote

A hot start issue is a a shut off and turn on in less than 30 minutes. If it's sat for hours the engine shouldn't be hot anymore.

Does it start if you turn the key, let the fuel pump prime fully and then start? Does it make a difference if you turn the key on and off repeatedly priming the fuel system?

I don't think the fuel system should lose 10psi in a matter of minutes. Maybe check your injectors too.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Could hot start issue be caused by fuel pressure regulator? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
the van will struggle to start if it's sat for hours. It will crank and sputter and stall unless I feather the gas pedal for a few seconds until it idles correctly.

to me that reads as too rich, youre helping it along by adding a bit of air beyond what the idle valve could do.

at least thats how id approach that in standalone-land.

how it gets that way, and why only on really hot days after hot-soaking for some time... again in standalone land id look at intake air temp placement and sensor hot soak, but probably not relevant here.

im sure someone else will have much more useful insight though Very Happy

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Could hot start issue be caused by fuel pressure regulator? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
to me that reads as too rich, youre helping it along by adding a bit of air beyond what the idle valve could do.

I agree, that's why I thought leaky injectors may be a cause. But why it only happens on hot days after parked for a few hours... i dunno. I guess sensors may be more plausible than leaky injectors.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Could hot start issue be caused by fuel pressure regulator? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:

I agree, that's why I thought leaky injectors may be a cause. But why it only happens on hot days after parked for a few hours... i dunno. I guess sensors may be more plausible than leaky injectors.

again, not a 1:1 but ill include it to finish my thought from earlier -

on a standalone setup when you your IAT sensor in some place (intake manifolds, directly into the head, etc) thats prone to getting much much hotter as the engine sits for an hour or two, no longer reflecting the actual temperature of the air the thing might get, your subsequent starts go to shit.

its only if you do a restart pretty soon after shutdown where the two temperatures havent had time to diverge, or if you wait quite a long time for things to cool way down where theyve converged again, that starts end up ok.

again, how this correlates to the westy, im not sure. but it sure sounds like the same symptom.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Could hot start issue be caused by fuel pressure regulator? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
A hot start issue is a a shut off and turn on in less than 30 minutes. If it's sat for hours the engine shouldn't be hot anymore.

Thread title edited.

A typical episode is this:

Wake up at camp on a fine cool summer morning and the van fires right up. Drive to a sunny trailhead or canoe launch and park the van while we recreate for a few hours. Come back to the van and the starter cranks, and cranks, and cranks, and the engine will only start to run on its own if I feather the fuel pedal.

I think you might be on to something with the suggestion that it's running rich and my gas pedal antics are actually giving it more air to lean the mixture. I'll give that some thought. I plan to replace the spark plugs soon too so that will give me come clues.

4gears, it's not losing 10 PSI in minutes. It's 2 to 3 PSI in 10 minutes but the last time I replaced my fuel lines and tested (10 years ago) it lost 0 PSI in 30 minutes so this latest result wasn't what I expected.

If leaky injectors were the cause of the starting issue then that's likely been fixed by installing the new injectors a couple days ago - but, assuming the brand new ones don't leak, that doesn't explain the FP loss I measured during testing.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

Starts fine cold, so that rules out the fuel pressure drop as the problem. Cold engines need more fuel than hot engines. I would describe a hot start no start if I had pulled in for a fill up after 200 highway miles. How does it do in those situations?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I would describe a hot start no start if I had pulled in for a fill up after 200 highway miles. How does it do in those situations?

No problem at all. It only seems to have issues if it's sat parked for a few hours in hot ambient outdoor temperatures.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

Stretch diagnosis. Do you carry a spare coolant temp sensor for the ECU? It may have a bad spot where it works ok at ambient or full temp, but maybe not so much middle temps. An ohm meter could confirm, but is a bit of a pain to setup.

If you have a spare sensor, it's easy enough to plug it in hanging loose and see if the engine starts. Also, I'd be interested in how the engine runs with the oxygen sensor disconnected. You won't hurt anything running it disconnected and it will give you insight to how the engine is actually starting and running.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

Do the Mansi injectors allow more fuel out per pulse than the OE injectors?

I'd be curious if, under certain conditions, there's a mismatch between a value at a sensor, e.g. coolant temp sensor, and the amount of fuel injectors allow out when turning engine with starter. ("cranking" engine).

Get a helper to sniff the exhaust as engine is cranked and after it starts? The rich smell should be obvious and one might see smoke as well.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

I think the symptoms, plus the drop in residual fuel pressure, sound like an interal leak. There are only three sources - - the fuel pump check valve, the injectors, and the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

When leaving the van parked after it has first been brought to operating temperature in high ambient temps, if you have an internal leak, then the residual fuel pressure is not sufficient to do its job - - preventing vapour lock. The injectors are located in a fairly hot area and when the residual fuel pressure drops below spec, fuel vapourizes in the injectors and bubbles up to the highest point of the fuel hose(s). On a hot re-start, it takes a lot of cranking to operate the injectors long enough to remove the vapour bubbles. Running the fuel pump will not clear these vapour bubbles and will only push fuel through the FPR and to the return hose and back to the tank.

Sadly, the under-hood temps in my turbocharged Audi cars are high enough to really boil the fuel and also ruin the FPR (similar design to the Vanagon, different fitment) prematurely, so I am familiar with the vapour lock problem and the most common solution on these cars - - replacing the FPR. The fuel pump check valve was never the cause, but you must test for the source of the internal leak as it might be the cause of the loss of residual pressure in your Vanagon.

It is possible that an injector is leaking. In that case, not only will you get some vapour lock in the fuel lines, but the affected cylinder will also be "flooded" with the raw gasoline. If all cylinders were flooded, the usual way to clear the excess fuel is to crank the engine with the accelerator floored. Because of the lengths of fuel lines in the Vanagon, the vapour lock takes more time to clear for some cylinders than for others.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot weather hard start = fuel press regulator? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, you gave me some good ideas for diagnosing the problem the next time it happens. If it happens at all.

To be clear, I just installed the new injectors on Friday and haven't used the van since last fall. If injectors were the issue there's a good chance I won't experience the problem again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: