Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Beetle - 6V Radio
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Just in the home stretch on the bug, and in a quandy with the radio. I want to keep the car 6V seeing as there are no issues to urge any conversion. I did purchase a Retrosound and a 6V to 12 V converter but am left wondering if there are other options for a 6V AM/FM radio - would even consider a near-mint stock radio.
Not being overly familiar, what make and model would have been likely to find in a 64 bug?
Thanks folks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Would have most likely been a Sapphire I. Folks still restore these to like new, and you can even add Bluetooth, USB, or just a mini jack and then stream music over it without changing the function or appearance.

I have several old ones that don’t currently function that you could have restored and modified if you run out of options.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

panicman covered it but an original AM/FM radio would be a Sapphire II, if you want the AM/FM look in your car even though it might be upgraded to be more modern internally.

A Sapphire II is usually a lot more expensive than a Sapphire I

Sapphire Is are easy to locate (well maybe not a mint one)
Sapphire IIs... not so much

Edit: Wow, there are actually a bunch of Sapphire IIs on the site right now, that is abnormal:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=sapphire+ii
Not cheap though, Sapphire Is are wayyy less
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Mine is a 1967 6v.
It has a 'Le Chaperon' AM radio.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Having fought with this issue...why not delete the radio and add gauges with the fastfab panel and use a hidden Bluetooth amp for sounds. It’s a super sweet setup.

J
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Oh my. Now, as it seems, nothing but a Sapphire II will do.
I thought about a blanking plate, but the car is bone stock so gauges might’ve looked a bit out of place. I reached for a RetroSound naturally back when I had my bus, but that doesn’t feel right here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Russ1967 wrote:
Mine is a 1967 6v.
It has a 'Le Chaperon' AM radio.

This is a period radio but not typically stock for a VW as far as I know.
It's more of a universal radio for all makes/models.

My Bus has a pullout Le Chaperon picnic AM radio, it's kind of cool since you can take it out and it still plays using batteries.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

The Sapphire IV is a great 6V AM FM radio.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

FWIW my original family 64 has a Sapphire 1 still is 6V. I am keeping stock but will clean it up a little. I am using a Redirad to inject modern tunes. The downside though is you still have the single speaker but i am not going for modern sound.

For me the hard part is getting the chrome surround to look good again...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

For me the hard part is getting the chrome surround to look good again...

This is my concern, right up with the proper inner workings of the radio is it looking as nice as the rest of the car.
My radio is in similar - if not a bit more worn - condition to yours. I'm a bit worried about the buttons on which the paint seem to be worn down.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a bit worried about the buttons on which the paint seem to be worn down.

Agree about the buttons. Yours are nicer than mine. I will figure out how to remove them and restore them since finding better ones is not only expensive but not easy either. Have already spoken to a few radio guys and they say it can be done but difficult. Worst comes to worst i will 3D print replacements.

Otherwise in talking with radio guys they recommend replacing the capacitors and then cleaning everything with deoxit. I figure i can't mess mine up any more so will give it a go.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
...what make and model would have been likely to find in a 64 bug?

You might consider using a period-correct Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW radio. They can be set to work on either 6V or 12V and look right at home in a vintage VW. There's also an input jack so you can connect an iPod, iPhone or similar device thru an adapter cable.

Here's the Blaupunkt Frankfurt in my '63 ↓

If you go this route, I'll offer my standard advice on old radios: Make sure you only buy one that's fully functional 'cause repair costs can exceed the original selling price. Any radio for sale advertised as "not tested" should be considered not working.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Check with members of your local club.

I was able to find a nice condition, fully functioning, original Sapphire I for my 64 for an excellent price from a local club member.

If you want original, get the Sapphire I.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Anyone have tips for re-finishing the chrome on the faceplate of these? The middle area is sort of sand cast in roughness. how do you clean these up or even re-plate them?

Parts i am looking for:
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Anyone have tips for re-finishing the chrome on the faceplate of these?

If the chrome isn’t all pitted and crusty, you can scrub it good with a brush and citrus de-greaser, the follow up with some chrome cleaner/polish.

If the chrome is really shot, it’ll need to be stripped and re-chromed by a plating shop. This will be pricy for such a small part, so it might be better to just buy a nicer one from here in the classifieds.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

Or alternately, clean it, and paint it using a so-called "chrome" spray paint, clear coated for protection. It's won't be chrome, but it will look clean and bright.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Beetle - 6V Radio Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Or alternately, clean it, and paint it using a so-called "chrome" spray paint, clear coated for protection. It's won't be chrome, but it will look clean and bright.

I haven't found any chrome spray paint which makes metal or plastic look anything more than dullish gray. Do you have a good product you recommend?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: