Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 412 for sale here
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

And the asking price is $16,000(!)
Wondering what folks here think of it. We're so used to seeing rusted 411s and 412s for sale; this one looks stunning, but I wonder if it's worth it.
After all I listed my '74 for $10K for a year and got only a few inquiries and no offers.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Got a link for us?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Got a link for us?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449420
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

There are so few sold its hard to establish value. As clean and complete as it looks, it would be tempting. Check for rust and then decide if you really want it.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Wow! Low miles and original red hoses in the engine compartment. If it grew up in Michigan really got to look at the rust situation...with a fine tooth comb. That driver’s side front fender has had work. Ray mentioned the lower fender beading is missing or painted over.

Bill

Last edited by Pepperbilly on Mon May 03, 2021 3:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Wow! Low miles and original red hoses in the engine compartment. If it grew up in Michigan really got to look at the rust situation...with a fine tooth comb.

Bill

And now it's in Florida - where all that heat and humidity is hell on seals and anything else rubber.

I've never owned a '73 or a four door. It would be a great trip to fly down there and drive it home to Seattle!

However, I want to stay married. Two 412s are plenty for me.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

I am trying to remember if I had seen that one for sale anywhere before. But I think not. I am thinking that this may have

On one hand.....I hope he gets what he is asking. Its about time these cars get some respect commensurate with their value.

On the other hand......its somewhat overpriced. Let me explain my point if view:

1. Low miles are irrelevant. First because there is virtually "0" way to prove the miles are accurate. It could be twice that mileage and still look the same if it were well cared for and garaged.

2. Along with the low miles = high price claim.....I would rather pay more for a car that was excellent looking and had moderate to high miles.....but which then had the required work and replacements for all of the front suspension and brake parts that are 100% guaranteed to be shot....from age alone....even if it had "0" miles.

This IS the problem that I WARN EVERY NEW OWNER OF 411 AND 412. Virtually all of them think these cars are just like beetles and type 3's......bulletproof and simple torsion bar system.
Even if everything on a type 1 or 3 is shot.....if it runs....the brakes work and as long as no torsion bars are physically broken.....you can at least drive it around or drive it home.

To many crawl undrneath a 411/412.....and say "well it looks pretty solid.....I just need to get it running and it will be fine".....uh.....no.

Typically they buy it, get it running....and think its going to be an easy rolling resto. Typically about 100 to 300 miles into driving this car that .....has not moved in 30 years.....it starts handling like a shopping cart on a dirt road......and they find that unless you fabricate a little.....approximately a total of three parts are available.

So the gist is.....that unless someone shows me otherwise.....this $16k 412 needs strust, radius arm bushings, idler bushing, centering rings, strut bushings....and probably tie rod ends, centerlink and ball joints.....just like all the rest.

So if you do the work yourself.....peel about $1500 off for parts and shipping......and about $1000 for the fact that its not a real driver yet.

3. Injection replaced? Ok....a lot of parts maybe. Running right? Doubtful. And.....has the trans been resealed? If not....no drive. About $500 off for the two.

If it sounds like I am nit picking.....he wants $16. It better be a reasonable runner. Without this stuff....its just another project.

Ok.....onto the serious stuff. Take a look at the front end detail picture. Left side.

Notice that the fender welting.....that should be below the headlight......is missing. Its smooth. While I actually subscribe to the pracyice that the fender welding should be formed from paintable sealant......it simply means that fender has been off and the car has been repainted. You can see bubbling where the welting was filled in

Also....the left side view....it may be a trick of the light.....but it looks like a buckle at the rear edge of the drivers door.

And....looking at this on my phone....I will look on the computer later.....but the leftside view looks a little riugh....like bubbling....along the lower edge of the doors.

Again....may be a picture thing.....but the fender welting in the rear fenders.....like normal...is peeling out a bit below the tail lights....and appears that it is black wdlting that was painted. Factory welting was actually colored and not black.

I would say the car was repainted.

So $16k.....I would say 10 max. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Oh...also the front hood fit is off....Ray
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

the fact that the car is in Florida but the seller is in Michigan would scare a few people away. I'm not saying this is a scam, but that's how many scams start; seller in one place & car in another. Does look real nice.
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Should I offer $12k?
Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

I would want to see it in person, test drive it, check all the things mentioned by Ray and others. Then offer what you think it's worth, compared to your alternatives. If it is still for sale now, it's priced on the high side, right? I would also question why the seller is not where the car is.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

You gotta go look in person. Don’t be a fool! Maybe nice or maybe a pig with lots of nice lipstick. That right front fender has had work... Ray mentioned earlier that the lower fender beading is missing or has been painted over.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Go look

Last edited by Pepperbilly on Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 412 for sale here Reply with quote

Jane......I want Kirks car....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: