Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

That fuel pump controller does sound like a nice solution, Hobobus. Also, thanks for the tip on the fuel cutoff valve, Crownline. That AFC111 fuel shutoff valve from Advanced Fuel Components is exactly what I was looking for. I could use a 1/4" pipe fitting to plumb that thing either before or after the fuel pump.

I guess some final thoughts on the Bus Depot Weber 34 ICT carburetor kit:

1) I could not make as supplied jetting work right at all for a 2.0 L motor, but once you change the jets, these carbs are wonderful. Correct jetting adds $100-$150 to the cost of the carbs

2) Phenolic heat isolator gasket between the carb and manifold. That adds about $35-$40. All kits should include these.
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information! (I know its been a while since the last post, but I wanted to say thanks just the same)

Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

I hope the info was helpful! I've benefited a ton from other's posting on this site, so it's always appreciated to share what you've learned;)

Since that installation, my friend has been quite happy with the performance of these carbs.
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

Very timely as I am looking to replace the single progressive that came on our bus.

Thank you.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

) Phenolic heat isolator gasket between the carb and manifold. That adds about $35-$40. All kits should include these.

Seems like that gasket would interfere with heat transfer from the head to the intake manifold?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

The phenolic gasket is between the carb and manifold. It does lower carb temp significantly to stop fuel boiling in the float bowls in the summer. The gasket between the head and the manifold is the thin one that comes in the kits. This insures the manifold gets hot.
rs-vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

How’s the fuel mileage?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

buses properly tuned get 18 to 20 mpg. Less and things are too lean and hot. Richer and fuel goes out the tailpipe. FI seems to do a little better than carbs but stock FI limits out at lower RPM's than carbs can deliver. Meaning that FI will limit out about 5400 RPM where as carbs can push past that to 6500 - 8500 RPM if you can build a motor that will withstand the stresses. Bus engines are happiest about 3500 - 3800 rpm.
martyrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

Thanks to the OP for a great thread! I just took position of a 1978 Westfalia with a 2.0 L FI engine. Primary use for the bus will be travel and long trips.

The FI system has some problems, so I'm thinking of switching over to dual carbs. I like the idea of carbs due to them being easier to work on and troubleshoot - something I can do.

Parts for the VW FI system are getting hard to find, as are folks who are knowledgable about the FI system.

Looking for recommendations on keeping and fixing the VW FI or going with dual carbs. What would be the downsides of switching to dual carbs?

TIA Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Weber 34 ICT carbs for 2.0 L bus Reply with quote

The best carbs in the world can’t beat FI; end of story. Only use carbs if the FI is missing; in that case, the dual Weber ICT, is hard to beat, for the money. Follow the setup recipe I gave in this post and they run damn sweet, even with no chokes in colder weather.

Since you still have your FI, I’d recommend you learn a little about it and fix it yourself. Bosch L- jet is super simple. Even if you have virtually no mechanical skills, just replace all the hoses, with new ones that don’t leak, and I bet that fix alone will solve your problems
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: