Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
nice score! some people would pay big chippies for the z handles!

I have a friend with a pair of pristine doors with Z-handles and a hood I may buy as a set for $75. He also has a lead on two green Sqaurebacks that are $500 for the pair and one is an auto trans...

Aiden

Some friend! Jump on that deal! Tell us more about the pair when you get more info.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
nice score! some people would pay big chippies for the z handles!

I have a friend with a pair of pristine doors with Z-handles and a hood I may buy as a set for $75. He also has a lead on two green Sqaurebacks that are $500 for the pair and one is an auto trans...

Aiden

Some friend! Jump on that deal! Tell us more about the pair when you get more info.

I will get them, he also had a NOS T3 door and a couple Random T3 NOS panels he might sell too. Here are the door and hood for $75. Even the window scrapers were still good and soft. Do you know if these are a 66 or 67 doors?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even if the Squarebacks are a rotted out to nothing, they’d be worth it even for the automatic transmission. He also told me there is a Squareback sitting in a swamp and it is near where I live. I may go try to find it and see it I can get parts from it.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

If it was a 66 I think it would have the white knobs on the window cranks, so it's not. Boy those Z armrests look great! Are you going to put them on your car.. or..... ?? I'd say you just bought $500 in parts for $75!!!!, as a matter of fact, those doors are way more complete and solid than what I have, let me know if you want to sell them!!

Last edited by DQDan on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

It's a '67 door with the black unlock pull & soft black window winder knob.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Shocked

'67-only doors, to be exact.

Treasure...

Wish i started with a set like that,

Some '67 nerd out there would be very very happy to get those.

What’s That Noise?!?
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Aiden, I did not know you needed doors, I have a set of 69 doors I'd be glad to swap for the white ones. Mine are blue. My white 66 doors are pretty much just shells, the tracks and window stuff is mostly out, I'd love to have a complete set!!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I have a good pair of red '67 doors.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Okay, I think the general consensus is I’m stupid not to buy them Laughing I have the cash so I will pick them up next week.

This week I may try to find the swamp Squareback and see if I can buy some stuff off of it. It is only 3-4 miles from my house no clue what year but there are also some other VWs in the swamp too, even an oval bug.

DQDan- I don’t need the doors but he reached out to me and wants them gone, I still have yet to buy them.

Thanks for the info Mike!

Clatter- I wish I could find some bug doors like that instead of my accident-weld damage disaster doors Laughing Did not realize how special these doors are.

Thank guys!

Aiden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I'd sure like to buy those white doors either from you or your amazing friend!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I won't even tell you my struggles to get some nice '67 doors..

It's buried in my build thread.

Ended up having to make my own! Evil or Very Mad

What’s That Noise?!?
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
... The only issue was I got a mile from my house and the speedometer cable started screaming, I just had to put some oil in it. It happened a few months back too. But the strange part is, is that you have no forewarning and you will be driving down the road at 55 mph and it will start a deafening scream that wont go away unless you are under 20 mph. But I oiled the cable and all was happy in the world and it didn't scream at me again...

I guess, grease is the better choice. Of course, it will be not as easy to fill it in like oil. But if you carefully warm up the grease and even the cable until it has the right consistence. And look at the drill of the cable, this can help to transport the grease into it.

Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Engine and transmission out. Getting ready to drop the subframe...

I had a '73 from 1976 through 1983, high school and college, I absolutely loved it.
Funny how 40 years later that "unreliable" fuel injection is still working.
Every VW Expert back in the day told me to remove that shit, and go carbs.
There was no way I was ever going to do that, because the fuel injected type 3 ran so, so, much better than my Bug or my Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

MarcVoss wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
... The only issue was I got a mile from my house and the speedometer cable started screaming, I just had to put some oil in it. It happened a few months back too. But the strange part is, is that you have no forewarning and you will be driving down the road at 55 mph and it will start a deafening scream that wont go away unless you are under 20 mph. But I oiled the cable and all was happy in the world and it didn't scream at me again...

I guess, grease is the better choice. Of course, it will be not as easy to fill it in like oil. But if you carefully warm up the grease and even the cable until it has the right consistence. And look at the drill of the cable, this can help to transport the grease into it.

I might try that. It came back again the other day and is VERY loud when it does decide to make noise, drowns out all others.

ach60 wrote:
I had a '73 from 1976 through 1983, high school and college, I absolutely loved it.
Funny how 40 years later that "unreliable" fuel injection is still working.
Every VW Expert back in the day told me to remove that shit, and go carbs.
There was no way I was ever going to do that, because the fuel injected type 3 ran so, so, much better than my Bug or my Bus.

Nice! Even in today’s world I still consider it a great daily driver, very reliable, gets good mileage, good, easy handling, decently comfortable. My only complaint would be is that the back seat sits up so high, if a friend rides in the back they are cramped a bit if they are taller.
I had bad luck with junkyard computers but one all of them, it was the same issue that the prong rusted out on the fuel pump transistor, but the rest has been fine. And I had a CHT go bad, and I’ve had a guy that worked on VWs for decades tell me to swap to carbs Rolling Eyes My Squareback has started right up in -5 degrees Fahrenheit Shocked
Yesterday I went into town and ran into a guy that was 91 years young driving around his Baja beetle and stopped at a gas station. I also had someone ask if Joann was for sale yesterday and three other people comment.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

By popular demand I bought the doors today Laughing They are OG paint sea sand and the bottoms are rotted out a little. The outer skin is good though. If the doors don’t sell as a whole, I may sell the pieces off of them and use them as wall hangers in my room as the look cool Very Happy I stopped on the way home with the hood on the roof for a picture. I may also be trading him for some NOS T3 body metal and a NOS 66 or 67 door.

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Dibs and double dibs on the doors, That's the OG color of my 66 SB. If you want some wall art, you have seen my selection of spares, let me know I can bring some blue doors or whatever.. I already told you what I think they are worth!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I’m hoping tomorrow or next week I stop at the place where I think there is a Squareback in a swamp and ask about it. In my head I keep hoping it will be some good 1500 sunroof model Squareback but it will most likely be a rotted out late model one Laughing

Today I went to my grandmas and there was a bund of flowers and buds and thought I’d share this picture.

Aiden
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Well, I didn’t find T3 when I went looking. I found two T3s Very Happy ones is a 66 fastback and the other is a 69 Squareback. They are pretty far gone because they’ve been sitting in a swamp, but some good parts. The Squareback is gone, but it might have some good parts and is an automatic. He said it was parked because it had computer issues and didn’t want to pay to replace the computer. The fastback has the Z-arm rest and is pretty rotted too but there may be some good parts. They are for sale and there are also a ton of beetles, all pre 64

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Not much to update on, I tried to get out the dents in the front nose, failed. I just popped a ball trying to use that trick to pop out dents.

Today I traded some Legos I had for some NOS metal pieces from the same person I got the doors. The door is 66 down and the other pieces are very random and never go bad. Two are the dipstick panel, one is for Squareback, other fastback or possibly notch. Pretty cool they even have NOS stickers. Let me know if your interested. They are pretty cool, I’ve never had NOS metal before Very Happy

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Well today wasn’t great. I got to work and was standing behind Joann and I noticed the left rear wheel was severely cambered. I think that’s no good, I hope the trailing arm bolt for the rear suspension isn’t coming out. Well, it was completely gone Shocked I can’t believe it hadn’t been handling weird or anything. There were no real signs of an issue other than the wheel being very crooked. It’s scary though. I drove very slow home from work but now I have to go to the junkyard to get a bolt. What’s frustrating is that I did everything, torqued the bolt to the proper spec and then I premed it into place. I think once I get the new one in I’m going to tack weld it because it’s scary these things just like to back out so easy. I’ve never heard of this happening before to anyone but this side came out and at some point the right side one had started to back out before I removed the sub frame. Anyone had this happen before?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Some camber is normal. I think I'd go a head and tighten and tack both sides. I don't know why you're having a problem with them though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 32

Jump to: