Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'76 westfalia heater outlet under seat box
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonathanmooren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: '76 westfalia heater outlet under seat box Reply with quote

Hi forum,

I'm looking for the triangular shaped heater outlet under the rear bench. It directs the hot air through the ventilation. On my M-plate, it's the D53/005 option. I have only seen one picture of this item online but i can't seem to find it back. When I bought my bus, the outline of the item was still on the wood, but the original owner closed off the hole (no idea why). Can someone tell me what this part is called, what part number it has, or where I can find it online ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4Doora wrote:
Fresh air fan? It's called the accelerator pedal
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: '76 westfalia heater outlet under seat box Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and copy what I did. Instead of fixing the stock VW system what supplies an anemic amount of heat at best, take all the air from the right heater box and direct it to come out under the rear seat. Doing this by itself with double the amount of heat reaching the cab, but be wary of what you put in front of the outlet as the temperature of the air will approach 400°F on a long climb and will melt and destroy many non metallic items.

If you then add a booster fan up front under the floor beneath the defroster tee, you will get even more airflow to the front than you have now, so will have more and hotter air to both the front and back. Over all I get more than three times the stock amount of heat moving into the cab.

Under seat outlet

Ducting to under seat outlet from engine side, note that it connects directly to the accordion tube

I just have a top quality inline bilge fan, but there are centrifugal fans available

Check out the Bluemaxx thread and ignore the naysayers, my system including the plastic fan is now almost 12 years old:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371749
jonathanmooren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '76 westfalia heater outlet under seat box Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Do yourself a favor and copy what I did. Instead of fixing the stock VW system what supplies an anemic amount of heat at best, take all the air from the right heater box and direct it to come out under the rear seat. Doing this by itself with double the amount of heat reaching the cab, but be wary of what you put in front of the outlet as the temperature of the air will approach 400°F on a long climb and will melt and destroy many non metallic items.

If you then add a booster fan up front under the floor beneath the defroster tee, you will get even more airflow to the front than you have now, so will have more and hotter air to both the front and back. Over all I get more than three times the stock amount of heat moving into the cab.

Thanks for the advice, but that didn't really answer my question. I'm trying to keep my bus as original as possible, so still tryi g to figure out what part the triangular thingy is.

Thanks

4Doora wrote:
Fresh air fan? It's called the accelerator pedal
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: