Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Carb Set Up
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcduff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Hi

I am looking for a vintage dual carb set up to put on my '62 Ghia. Its the standard original 1200 engine with no mods.

Is there anything out there which you can point in my direction?

Thanks

Scott
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

There are no new kits on the market now. You'd need to find a used or NOS ($$) vintage setup. Several suppliers made kits for the 40 hp (34 DIN) 1200 engines in the 1960's such as TDE (Theo Decker), OKRASA, Speedwell IIRC. If you have access to a welder, or possibly even brazing equipment, you can fabricate your own. This clever fellow did: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=515933&highlight=dual

If your engine still has the original "stale air" fan shroud which is much narrower than the later fresh air style, you have more room to the sides of the engine for dual carb and air cleaner space.

If you find a pair of the same carburetors which originally were mounted like the original with the throttle arm rotating in an arc front-to-rear, you'll need a linkage that actuates the throttle levers from above. A GeneBerg universal linkage will provide that. Other people have made their own dual carb setup and rotated the stock-style carbs sideways. The throttle levers now rotate laterally, like "can-can girls". With those you need a linkage such as the original Kadron, or the newer Scat linkage and attach both actuating rods to the same pivot.

What you can also do is buy a new single-throat dual carb kit for a Type 1 single-port engine. Weber 34 ICT and Solex 34 PDSIT are the common ones. Those SP manifolds are designed for the cylinder heads of the 1300, 1500, or 1600 cc SP engines which had a different mounting flange shape and angle at the head compared to that of the 1200 engine. So you can't use those new kit parts, but fabricate your own steel manifolds per DongKG's process. This way you have 3/4 of the kit complete instead of refurbishing old parts. A pair of used 1200 40 hp intake manifolds should be plentiful and cheap in your country.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

mcduff wrote:
Hi

I am looking for a vintage dual carb set up to put on my '62 Ghia. Its the standard original 1200 engine with no mods.

Is there anything out there which you can point in my direction?

Thanks

Scott

You would have to make your own dual manifolds from 2 stock 40hp manifolds and use the 36hp " solex 28pci" carbs
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

A Speedwell kit would be sweet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Or he can also go with a single 32 zenith ndix just make sure if you do go with a single 32 zenith ndix carbs you buy the right one .to use a single zenith 32 it has to have that slot ..here are the parts 👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2414786

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2381180
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A Speedwell kit would be sweet.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/65speedwellcatalog.php

Alejandro Martin deals in OG and part repro Speedwell Kits [email protected]
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

You could also swap heads over to '66 1300 heads and that would allow you to run dual Solex 34s. As I'm sure you're aware carb kits for the 40hp head and its flat intake ports are pretty scarce, and if you do find them they will either be incomplete (missing linkage etc) or pricey, probably some of both.

Using 1300 heads opens up a lot of possibilities since all new carb kits that I'm aware of are made to be used with the slanted intake angle of the 1300 and later heads. Another plus to doing it this way is you should get a noticeable increase in power, since the 1300 heads were made to work with the 50hp output of that engine.
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

34/40hp carb kits are quite hard to find, Riechert were still making new kits but recently I am not sure of the availability. I have a Theo Decker dual carb kit on my 1200cc 34hp. It's made a real difference and i'm really glad I went through the effort of finding and fitting them. The point for me was it had to remain with 1200 heads Smile

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Nice work on the installation, SteveW. You even "aged" the kit a few years with that large, older generator pulley nut.
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Scott,

I recently purchased a single port dual carb kit from Riechert Motorenteckhnik in Germany. They provide complete solutions with carburetors and kits without carburetors. When I was planning my 36HP rebuild I emailed them A LOT of questions to ask them how they could help me, and they never hesitated to provide useful solutions. When I finally ordered my set up it arrived within days (I live in Austria.) All of my correspondence with them was in English, and I had no issues. Riechert manufactures their own equipment and the quality is very good.

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/en/index.htm

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcduff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Brilliant Jeff - thanks for the feedback.

Scott
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Scott - The Kit from Riechert arrived at the end of last year .

mcduff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

very nice. How's performance?
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Carb Set Up Reply with quote

Better than stock - Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: