Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

Looking for any other tips on why I can’t get gas to the carb. This one is weird. Can’t seem to figure this one out.
The bus had been sitting for only a few months. The PO drove to my house when I bought it. (It’s a 1966 deluxe with a 1600 dp).

When I went to start it a week ago, nothing. Tried a few times and I could not see gas in the fuel filter. I should have primed the carb but I didn’t.
I took off the fuel pump and thought I would rebuild it thinking that was the issue (which I have not done yet); and I put on a new pump and rod, stand, gaskets, etc.

This engine has a 12V generator so I bought the pump and rod meant for that. The rod measures 4.25 inches. Watching the old Bug Me Video and others, I made sure that the stand fits in smooth/slight loose to prevent a vapor lock.

Gas IS getting from the tank to the pump but not to the carb. I have primed the carb and it does turn over and runs for the few seconds it has gas in the carb.
When I take off the line that feeds the carb, there is residual fuel inside the hose where it seals on the long nipple on the pump. I verified I have the lines leading on the correct input/output from pump.

Last night trying to watch videos, read online, and just don’t know what is up. Any suggestions before I call someone smart to help?

Thank you
-Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

try swapping the fuel lines on the pump. sometimes these after market fuel pumps are backwards and the in/out lines are opposite from the older ones
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

widehatch.... i will try that for sure... and I and hoping to have that old fuel pump rebuilt tonight to just try something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

Using a shorter alternator pump rod on a generator specific pump?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

I ordered https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127025B and https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127307

I assume they work in concert together. AND the rod that was in there, is same size, so not sure the rod is the issue... I think
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I ordered https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127025B and https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127307

I assume they work in concert together. AND the rod that was in there, is same size, so not sure the rod is the issue... I think

That looks right, so yeah, check your connections, flip the hoses.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

Thanks...

My fear is if that isn't the issue, I have no idea what is next... apart from calling that "smarter" person Smile
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

might be your accelerator pump.. Only sat for a couple of months but bad gas can be a factor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

thx johny... I'll check that too
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help/tips - no gas from pump to carb Reply with quote

Make a fuel proof funnel out of a plastic fuel filter, and use that to fill the carb float bowl via the hose from pump to carb.

Then with fuel hose reconnected to the pump, try starting it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: