Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 SB autostick engine not rotating
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

I've been putting this old SB autostick back together and hit a snag today. I'm not very experienced so I'm not sure where I went wrong. I put the engine back in yesterday and then the torque converter screws today. I was going to do the timing using the static timing method and went to rotate the engine and it only went about a 1/4 turn before it hits something. I'm pretty sure I had it in neutral but with this autostick, who knows. The engine did rotate all the way around with a wrench before I put the torque conv screws back in. Not sure how I could have possibly messed the torque conv screws but it is clearly and audibly hitting something and not rotating all the way around. Did I miss something?
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

I figured out what happened. Will update later when I have time and give full explanation of what happened.
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Sounds like you got it solved without having to remove the engine and split the case. Looking forward to hearing about what it was.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

mouser98 wrote:
Sounds like you got it solved without having to remove the engine and split the case. Looking forward to hearing about what it was.

Yeah I figured it out, unfortunately I ended up making it worse. I had one of the torque converter screws in cockeyed which was what was not allowing the engine to rotate. It was little dark and I just didn't see that it wasn't on correctly. I believe in the process of correcting that I stripped the threads in the torque converter, I just could not get that screw to go in straight for some reason. It gets worse Laughing On my final attempt to get that screw in, I forgot to put a paper towel under it (like you suggested in another thread DOH!) and I'm sure you can see where this is going...I smacked my head on the bottom of the shock causing me to jump a little and drop the screw....right into the bell housing Laughing I will be pulling the engine sometime soon. I am going to do more research on converting to a manual because I have reached the end of my patience with this. Not sure if i have skill to do it though.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

It would be cheaper to buy another non auto stick Bug. Conversion of the systems is pricey!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
It would be cheaper to buy another non auto stick Bug. Conversion of the systems is pricey!

Yeah, I realize that. So I either:
1 - Keep going and pull the engine again and take care of the stripped torque converter
2 - take what I can in parts for my 74 standard
3 - rat rod???? (I might be lacking the skills for that but I'm good at cutting up stuff!)

I actually tried selling it a couple years ago but didn't get any takers. This poor girl is in rough shape.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Ouch. Yeah, no swap for me.
https://socalautoparts.com/product/autostick-conversion-kit-freeway-flyer-73-79/
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

helio coil will fix you right up
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

mouser98 wrote:
helio coil will fix you right up

That's what is was thinking too but I still gotta pull the engine to retrieve that screw Sad
The good news is I am now actually getting comfortable with removing and reinstalling a bug engine...I know what to do and what not to do. Might even pull my 74 standard for a clean up and push rod tubes replacement next winter. I'll make sure I label wires this time! Laughing
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

I have this tool that looks like an antenna but has a magnet on the tip. I would try to like it around in there to pick up the screw. Then fetal the threads.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I have this tool that looks like an antenna but has a magnet on the tip. I would try to like it around in there to pick up the screw. Then fetal the threads.

Even if I could somehow get that screw out of the bell housing, how would I tap the torque conv that has the stripped thread? I had a terrible time just trying to get that screw in, I can't imagine trying to tap it in place. I'm also embarrassed to say that I've never actually did a tap before Confused
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Just an update. I kept saying I stripped the torque converter but I misspoke, I meant to say that I had stripped one of the holes on the flex plate. Engine came back out this morning and my neighbor will tap it for me later then the engine goes back in on the next sunny day.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Tom K. wrote:

Even if I could somehow get that screw out of the bell housing, how would I tap the torque conv that has the stripped thread? I had a terrible time just trying to get that screw in, I can't imagine trying to tap it in place. I'm also embarrassed to say that I've never actually did a tap before Confused
don’t be embarrassed man we’ve all been there not knowing something or another ,good time to learn though Very Happy .
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
Tom K. wrote:

don’t be embarrassed man we’ve all been there not knowing something or another ,good time to learn though Very Happy .

Thanks. Neighbor is coming over later today to tap it for me. I bought a tap set and I'll watch him do it then practice on some scrap so I can get the hang of it.
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Cool that u wanna save the auto stick. Keep on trucking w that if thats your thing. A dude name heimlich from houston always has ads looking for auto stick parts so he will probably be a good source if u need some. As to the cost of “conversion” if u can source a used transmission the 74 chasis should have the clutch tube in it pull your shifter inspection cover. On the driver side there should be a tube. You need a shift rod,pedal assembly and you will have to change your oil pump over. Not bashing the auto stick but conversion as a diy is maybe a 500$ undertaking. If u keep the autostick suggest rebuild/replace the shift diaphram and have a good understanding of how the the shifter contacts work. These were two common issues with auto sticks
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

toddgsanford wrote:
Cool that u wanna save the auto stick. Keep on trucking w that if thats your thing. A dude name heimlich from houston always has ads looking for auto stick parts so he will probably be a good source if u need some. As to the cost of “conversion” if u can source a used transmission the 74 chasis should have the clutch tube in it pull your shifter inspection cover. On the driver side there should be a tube. You need a shift rod,pedal assembly and you will have to change your oil pump over. Not bashing the auto stick but conversion as a diy is maybe a 500$ undertaking. If u keep the autostick suggest rebuild/replace the shift diaphram and have a good understanding of how the the shifter contacts work. These were two common issues with auto sticks

I'll do what I can to get it back on the road as an autostick. Worst case scenario is I have a 50% parts car for my 74 standard.
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

I think once you get it on the road you'll be glad you kept it as an autostick. I really enjoy driving mine and it's a really cool example of VW engineering.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

mouser98 wrote:
I think once you get it on the road you'll be glad you kept it as an autostick. I really enjoy driving mine and it's a really cool example of VW engineering.

I agree but I'm really not looking forward to doing those torque conv screws again Laughing
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Hi All, I have seemed to run into another snag. Yesterday the neighbor tapped the stripped flex plate hole and then I put the engine back in. Today I'm out here trying to get the torque conv screws back in. I am having a real tough time with this. It appears the flex plate and torque conv bracket are not lining up which is not allowing me to get the screws in properly, it becomes tight way too soon and I stop because I obviously don't want to strip it again. All 4 engine bolts are in and fully tightened. Why are the flex plate holes not lining up with the torque conv? This car is driving me nuts.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Are you sure the tap work was done right? Hint: there are no SAE threads on this thing, hope he had a metric tap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: