Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver door won’t unlock/open
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azad lost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

I can’t seem to get the driver door of my vanagon open. When i turn the key either direction, the key will turn, and the lock button will budge a little, but always returns to the locked position.

The button/knob will not lift up from the inside either.

The little trigger-style lever in the outside handle has no spring to it. When pushed in, it stays in, when pilled out, it stays out.

It seems like the next thing to do is try and get the door card off and look inside, but of course, in closed position it’s partly overlapped by the dash.

I just thought I’d check here to see if the more knowledgeable have a simple trick/explanation that I don’t know.

Last edited by Azad lost on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Welcome! If you can get in by using another door unlock from inside. Door card removal is fairly easy. I've never had a latch/lock assembly apart (yet) but I'm sure others here can advise you. Good luck!

You might be able to use a Slim Jim-type device or a coat hanger slid down beside the glass into the door to release the latch. I have not done this on a Vanagon but have on other vehicles.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

This may sound obvious, I’m assuming you can use another door. If that’s the case, are you saying you can’t operate the lock knob at the window sill and use the inner release. You seem fixated on the key and handle. The door should still open and lock from inside even if the exterior handle was missing. Few more details would help, but it’s a pain to open a door that is latched and inop.

Before you tear the door panel off, remove the passenger door panel and learn how it all works correctly. You can use that gained knowledge to tackle the drivers door.
Azad lost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

The knob is stuck and cannot be raised from the inside. Sorry If I didn’t make that clear enough.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

No trick I know. Look at how the passenger door operates correctly. It will also give you experience how to remove the door panel. It would be helpful to slide the drivers seat off the rails and out of your way.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Do you have power door locks? If you do, disconnect the battery and see if you can unlock the door.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Automatic anti-theft.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

I'm going to guess you have power locks?

If so you need to kill the power feed so they "let go".

Once open, you need to locate and repair the cracked wires.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Azad lost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Hey. I figured I'd update this because my problem is not solved at all.

I have manual door locks NOT power locks.

The driver door WILL NOT OPEN.

Unfortunately, I have discovered it is not really possible to remove the door card/liner with the door closed. I have managed to unfasten it in the corner where the lock is, but the vent at the bottom left, the dash by the steering wheel, and the seat, (mostly the dash) prevent me from actually removing the card.

The lock knob is actually stuck somewhere halfway between up and down. It cannot be moved manually, the key will turn but the knob only budges and returns to its stuck position.

With the door card peeled away a little I can reach in and grab the rod beneath the knob, I cannot unstick it that way. Further below, there is a tab that (in a functioning door) moves up in the lock position and down in the unlocked position, it moves inward when the door latch lever is pulled.

This tab moves correctly when the lever is pulled. I cannot however move it up and down with my fingers, like I can in the functioning door on the passenger side.

I am feeling pretty stuck here. The problem appears to be in the latch mechanism, which can only be accessed with the door open. and I cannot figure out any way to open the door.

Can anybody help?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Well that sucks.

If you have a way to get a spare door card you can tear that one in pieces to get to the mechanism. (There are several vendors that sell them and you can find them used in the classifieds on the samba as well.) My guess is that something has fallen apart with the locking mechanism.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Azad lost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

ha. after writing this post I went out and jammed my hand into the van door and using three hands, one on the tab, one on the knob, and one on the lever (thats how I remember it at least), I battled like a wild animal, and I am pleased to announce that the door is now stuck in the unlocked position, and the door card is removed.

I would still be overjoyed to read insights into how I will fix the thing so that it can lock (and unlock) again.
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

The worst part about this, is that the driver's door must be closed to lock- so, you'll be best off to leave the door card *off* for any work, so you can more easily get it open and closed.

As others suggested, take the passenger door card off, and inspect the mechanisms to figure out how it works, then try to diagnose what part is causing your problem on the other side

There isn't a ton to these doors, so hopefully it isn't too hard to figure out. When I bought my van I had a similar problem (stuck unlocked, fortunately), but a quick disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly took care of those problems.

Take some pictures and post them as you work if you want more help- pictures are very helpful for folks diagnosing problems via the internet
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

You can operate the latch catch with the door open for testing. Don’t try and close the door until you figure it out and it tests 100% good. Getting the door open was the hard part.
tcal112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Azad lost wrote:
ha. after writing this post I went out and jammed my hand into the van door and using three hands, one on the tab, one on the knob, and one on the lever (thats how I remember it at least), I battled like a wild animal, and I am pleased to announce that the door is now stuck in the unlocked position, and the door card is removed.

care to elaborate little more on the magic you used to make this happen? I am having the same issue.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

I had to do it recently for a customer, his outside handle lever broke where the pin/axle is.

You gotta unjam that shit first or it's very hard from inside the door. A little dentist pick to move the parts back where they belong, release the tension and I was able to pop it from inside the door card (it got forced, so I had to reach the vertical rod attachment where it locks the catch/lock, then the horizontal rod could do its job.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Even the $900 I had to bill to open a stuck Volvo door, drilling out the latch through a drilled out door card, wasn’t worth the 6 hours of life lost to this job , destroying parts along the way on a fine motor car.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Having gotten the door open, you are over the hurdle!

Now it is a simple matter of removing the lock assembly and sleuthing out what has broken/bent and making repairs or sourcing a replacement.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

Dave's right. I'll bet you have a bent rod from the door pull knob to the latch or a missing spring..

Duncan
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver door won’t unlock/open Reply with quote

I had the same issue but was able to get it partly open from inside and then get a pick inside them mechanism from outside to get it open. On mine the part that engages the lock mechanism was completely broken.

If yours is an issue with the handle rather than a rod, you can pick up a used door handle online and swap in the key cylinder from your broken one. I can't remember the details but it wasn't that hard once you see how it works.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: