Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie doesn't know what he has.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laddigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

What do I have here? Please forgive my ignorance, I know next-to-nothing about Beetles and even less about Baja builds. Thanks in advance for anyone that can enlighten me on any relevant details about this one.

What I do know about it:
I believe it was manufactured in September of '74.
It has a weber 30/36 carburetor.
It has obnoxiously wide rear wheels.

What I think I know about it:
It has a dual port 1600cc motor?
As a kid, I saw it in a movie.

I'd be happy to answer any questions to help anyone get me more answers about it.

I'd like to know if it looks to be a quality build, and if there are any glaring errors. What's the purpose of the oversized rear tires?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

What you have is a nice clean Baja Bug. As for it having been in a movie... I don't recall Herbie as a Baja... lots of people have duplicated the decals though. The movie came out in 1968 so I doubt you have the real thing.

As for the rear tires, if it is a 1600 cc engine it will be having difficulty turning them at highway speeds. They would work nicely on a sand rail with a 2.0 liter engine. Maybe someone will want to trade.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

The Love Bug or Herbie was a stock 1963 rag top sunroof bug. License plate number OFP 857. Although many were built for the movie.

Many VWs are adorned with this paint job and number. Just search the gallery for Herbie.

Your Baja seems to be a 1969 or later pan. You have a ball joint front end and IRS rear suspension. Your pan has had the floor areas replaced. The body of your Baja seems to me to be the same year as the pan, maybe a bit earlier with a very nice aftermarket seats and interior. Motor and carburetor are completely a personal preference and built to accommodate the type of driving you plan to do in this car. What you have I'm sure is fine for cruzing around town and light off roading.
It looks to me to be a well built and good looking Baja Bug. I would be proud to own this.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by Fish on Wed May 05, 2021 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

Laddigo wrote:
I believe it was manufactured in September of '74.

Do you believe it's a '74 because of the VIN number stamped on the tunnel under the rear seat or does it say that on the title ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Laddigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, I believe it was manufactured in September of '74 because of the chassis number on the dash and frame tunnel. Would that make it a 1975 model?

Unfortunately, it runs poorly at the moment. Starts right up, and idles fine, but does not accelerate well. When given more throttle, it hesitates at first, then with more throttle will cough, spit, and backfire. I found shop paperwork that shows this same customer complaint. The shop installed that weber (says 32/36 kit K410 Dual Port) carburetor, and replaced the 010 distributor with an 009, new plugs and wires without success. They also installed heat "rissers"? Not sure if there is a typo there.

I'm not a master mechanic by any means, but I did set the timing (static method) and adjusted the valves without any change in its running condition.

I have not adjusted the carburetor, thinking that shop would have done that correctly. Maybe that is my next step.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

When I first brought my baja project home, it had 31x10.5R15 tires on the back. They were a little too big for my taste.

I opted for 215/75R15 tires on the front and 30x9.50R15 tires in the rear. Both front and rear are General Grabber AT2 tires on 5.5" stock replica steel wheels.

After talking with baja guru "Dustymojave" awhile back, I went with those tire sizes and I'm happy I did.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

Looks like somebody loved it at one time. give it a full tune up and compression test and check crank shaft end play and go from there. lighten up the rear tires and enjoy the ride. Tires far to heavy for a Beetle. I would be proud to own it.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie doesn't know what he has. Reply with quote

This should help with your carb issues. Helped me alot with mine.
https://www.aircooled.net/making-weber-progressive-dfev-work-aircooled-vw-engine/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: