Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

What is in his transferred engine that is causing this running issue?

it's a head scratcher. it's probably these injectors you gave me. Rolling Eyes

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

They aren't new now either.

What do they say? No cost no value?

Send yours out to mr injector,
Call first, being sick he fell behind, see what his turn around time is now.
Historically it has been just days.
I mailed mine to him during the holiday package rush and loss period.
I put them in a LARGE box so as to not get lost in a crevice somewhere.
It worked, he got them quickly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
djkeev wrote:

What is in his transferred engine that is causing this running issue?

it's a head scratcher. it's probably these injectors you gave me. Rolling Eyes

i had some spare injectors i'd rebuilt lock up while sitting on the shelf because i'd left them with gasoline inside. i now purge them with compressed air and a shot of WD40.

but the super wet #1 is what bothers me in this whole deal... it's hard for an injector to over squirt the pintle/hole quantity. they can have pattern anomolies, including a nearly perfect pinpoint stream which MAY do that but remember it squirts into the intake manifold just by the valve, it usually burns but not optimally. so i'm still thinking a spark issue. again, not telling you what to do but were it mine i'd:

- look at the spray patterns. best done by putting the nozzles in clear jars and cranking with a remote switch. you're not really doing a volume test but just looking for consistent spray patterns across all 4.

- pull off the RF shield on the dist cap, bin it, and clean cap well. pull the dist cap off and see if there's anything odd inside. if you have the pin style cap, make sure the rotor matches. Bosch 04170 VW 123 433 2350 is correct for the pin cap.

- at least ohm out the plug wires checking for 5k resistance. but a bad wire can also bleed off spark under load through the insulation to a contact point on the block. i've gone to a very high quality magnetic suppression wire with a thick silicone jacket. love 'em. makes me feel all warm and snuggly that my spark is going where i tell it to.

- i would substitute a known good AFM. it so odd that it starts running bad when connected. usually the ECU can correct mixture, especially at idle.

- i'd substitute a known good ECU because we ALWAYS think it is the ECU despite that frequently it is some other simpler issue.

- and as i keep harping, O2 sensors are tune up items. change it. same with Temp II sensors.

this is the perfect situation where an old school ignition scope would be helpful. not only does it reveal ignition issues, it provides a window into the combustion process as well. hard to find now a days except, as Skills would say, in the Polident and Depends crowd. twerp. Very Happy

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Once I get my new tires on, I'm thinking of a run to Philly, good test run. 80 some odd miles round trip of varying speeds but no super highway. (I avoid Freeway/Interstates when sensibly possible. That 20 minutes you save just isn't worth the stress and hassle to me. It's a game of "You Can't Kill Me!"

If mine is still running good upon arrival we can swap those items but he says he already did so previously.
The results were the same.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

I see a strong focus on injectors developing.
They seem to be the common denominator in this swap puzzle.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

yesterday after work i removed the "Dave injectors" and put in the "Westy injectors" - it would not start. they would not flow. i put the "Dave injectors" back in and they aren't flowing very well.

i made sure to not put them back in the same spot - #1 to #4, #2 to #3, #3 to #2, #4 to #1. the rough running has changed in nature. this leads me to believe it is injectors.

this morning i spent 5 whole minutes at the Post Office. i sent out the original tin top, the original Westy, and Dave's donor engine injectors to Mr Injector in Idaho (who da hoe?). the plan is to get two sets back that are working perfectly.

i also ordered a new set of NGK plugs. i expect the injectors to arrive in 10-12 days.

when Dave comes over, we will rule out the AFM and plug wires. right Dave?

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

i sent out three sets of Bosch injectors to Mr. Injector. i was not sure if all 12 injectors had good cores, i was hoping for at least 1 working set. Mr injector let me know all 12 injectors were good and they cleaned up great. after a week long delay in shipping from the USPS, the package arrived. Ian, our USPS letter carrier is a fan of my Vanagon projects and made a special trip to drop off the package.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to say the injectors are well packed is an understatement. each set of injectors is bundled together and each injector is in a sealed bag with the needed rubber seal and retainer. they look great, but what needed done?

these two reports tell the story - 8 of the injectors were clogged, two were sorta clogged, and two were not terrible.

the injector swap went quickly, and with the system primed and no leaks found, it was time to start the engine.

the WBX started easily and idled smooth and even. i let it idle for a few minutes and the engine continued to run smooth. i took the Westy for a drive and it felt great. i saw Ian was still out delivering mail and drove up the block to meet him. he saw me coming and walked out to meet me sporting a massive smile. he said it sounded way better and was excited when i told him it was running great. he was having a tough day and said seeing the Westy coming up the street helped make it better.

i'm not sure what to do with the GP Sorenson injectors i removed from the engine. since i have two sets of spare Bosch, i don't NEED to send them to Mr Injector, but it would be interesting to see a report on them.

it feels great to have the WBX running correctly, it's been a long time coming. i should have sent the injectors out a year ago and should have known to replace the gas tank when i put the engine in the Westy. live and learn.

i'm very happy with the new heads and clearly the injectors were the final piece of the puzzle to make me a happy camper.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Nice!

Applause Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Yeah........ Mr Injector is amazing.

People seem to spend big money on new injectors and then proclaim what a miracle product they are!

I think people are running injectors that haven't been serviced for 30 years. They are squirting instead of spraying or not delivering much volume.

Absolutely any injector is a huge improvement!

To spend about $100 to get your original injectors serviced is a huge value!

Once serviced, be picky about your fuel source.
Not only dirt, which the filter catches, but additive packages to keep fuel deposits from forming on and in the injectors themselves.

If you insist on running cheap no name fuel, buy expensive good quality fuel system cleaners to add at every / every other refuel.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

i've logged 200 miles with the injectors and so far so good. today's trip to a far off Walmart was as uneventful as a drive can be, which is great.

these are the remaining "major projects" in order of importance:

overhaul suspension (already paid for)
change out headlights for e-codes, add DRL ($450)
new door cards - add power window relays and relocate switches ($400)
fix failed seam on rear left panel and deal with rusty front ($500+)
hammer out crushed rear right wheel arch and add terrawagen fender flares to hide the sins ($500)
maybe get the a/c working, maybe ($1000+)

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Nicely done! Time to hit the road before something gets clogged.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

after having another heart skipping oil light incident after a few hours of highway driving, i decided it was time to spend the money for oil pressure and temp gauges.

here is everything prepped. well almost, i removed most of the teflon tape from the temp sender before install. reading the instructions sometimes is helpful.

all the things installed. now to run the sender wires and get power to the gauges.

i asked Dave where he pulled his power, there is an open keyed power source readily available, no hackery required. the slot with the blue spade terminal now supplies power to the gauge cluster. that was easy.

here is the super fancy gauge cluster installed. job done!

well fine, i should make it look nice, right?

is that better? i went for the "easy" to install T3 Technique pod. um... it came with nylock nuts instead of the wingnuts in the product description. ouch. i had to pull the stereo to get my hand in there with a 10mm deep socket and grip adapter. i'd imagine the wingnuts might loosen over time and we can't have that.

i have a replacement dash pad that is in perfect condition. i guess i can leave that in the dining room until i feel inspired to rip this all out.

of course the oil temp sender failed during the first drive with it. i thought VDO was quality, guess not. replacement on the way.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

i love when packages arrive. today it's the part to fix the passenger visor.

after cleaning up tape residue and what looks like ancient Goo adhesive (anyone remember that?), the replacement swivel joint clicked into place.

job sorted. almost. i still have to deal with the vanity mirror light wiring, the connector was cut off the mirror for some reason. maybe one day when i'm bored i'll get to it.

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Nice!

Gotta get that nose painted, it will look 1,000 times better!

My guy mixed my paint as a single stage ....... dead nuts on! ..... But $167 a qt without hardener, but I have that already.

(I dislike the "favored" base coat/clear coat system)

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

things are afoot. the dining room is going to be emptier real soon.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

tired of tripping over the boxes of new bushings, springs, and shocks in the dining room, i decided i should install them.

parts to install: Schwenk springs, Bilstein HD shocks, bushing kit from Burley, Febi lower ball joint and tie rod ends, and Lemforder upper ball joint. i also picked up steering rack boots and shock hardware.

the passenger radius rod was clanking away, the UCA bushings squeaked, and the shocks were just shot.

after a bunch hours, the front suspension was removed. i had to order a few parts so i took the weekend off to go kayaking and hiking. i missed the Westy, it's way better of an outdoor support vehicle than my Subaru Outback.

both shocks needed to be cut out. that took the most time in pulling the suspension apart.

everything removed. the rust is sleeping, i swear. the LCA bushings were no match for the floor press i picked up.

cleaned and painted, looking way better. the one steering knuckle is from France, it consumed mass quantities.

i rented a ball joint tool set and used the collars to press the bad lower ball joint out and the new one in. again the floor press made easy work of this.

i thought i bent an upper control arm trying to get a bushing out. yes i cut the weld. i finally got all four bushings out and then came to the conclusion that the UCA was already bent. that part from France might ave been a replacement from a crash a PO had at some point but they left the UCA.

i replaced both UCAs with repros ordered from Van Cafe. the floor press made quick work of the four bushings.

no need for a spring compressor if the radius rod is removed.

i ordered a pair of tie rod ends yesterday after discovering the pair i had weren't for a Vanagon. they arrived this morning and i tossed them on, both sides are now complete. i'll do a final torque check and then install new rotors with new bearings.

tomorrow i'll replace the rear springs and shocks, the bushings will have to wait. i'll also replace the speedo cable, this one is mangled at the end.

lots of work but worth the effort.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

^^^^^^

That looks really good!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
That looks really good!!!

thanks Jake. it was a bunch of work, but worth it.

yesterday WE finished the install. my son helped install the new speedo cable, rotors, the caliper hangers and calipers.

the helper about to help

fancy!

the camber and toe-in need adjusting, i'll see what i can do to get them closer so we can go for a long drive.

the new speedo cable is making a clicking noise, but the speedo is showing the proper MPH under 30 so there is that...

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Nice progress and great to have a helper!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
Nice progress and great to have a helper!

very nice to have a helper, haven't had him around in over a year!

i decided to drop the Westy off at a shop to do the front end alignment... the tech was super excited when he saw me roll in. he asked when i was putting a Subie in it.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: