Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Year?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

So, definitely not trying to dissuade you in any way, but if you want something turn-key with good parts availability and decent mileage why not get a basic Ford or Chevy Class C motorhome? Even an older one with a bit of character...

Sure it may smell a bit, but old Bays smell like burning oil and stale hippie. Plus decent parts can be hard to find sometimes.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

One question, is your Sweetie okay with long drives in a Bay?
You’ve narrowed your choices to late Bays, has she sat and ridden/driven in one?
They are different than a Vanagon and not as much room.
The parts quality caution comments are a sad and frustrating thing too since you want to do a repair right the first time, but the available part doesn’t last as long as the original stuff did,..... Brick wall Brick wall d'oh! d'oh!
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
One question, is your Sweetie okay with long drives in a Bay?

She's the reason I ended up in a Syncro, to begin with. Having been a teenie-bopper during the Partridge Family era, she wanted a loaf. I recalled freezing in an air-cooled VW, so, the first time out, we compromised on a Sunroff Vanagon. Vanagons are pains-in-the-ass. but I like their footprint.

Thanks, jlrftype, perhaps it is time for a sea change. I'm well beyond that "On the Road" phase of life especially if I have to go scrounging for parts to stay on the road.

Richie (Near The Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
why not get a basic Ford or Chevy Class C motorhome?

Thanks for the advice. The one thing I know is that I do not want a lumbering American RV. I think they're too ponderous.

The new Dodge (Fiat) City is now in the running, especially with my woodworking skills. I could outfit the interior to be like a wooden sailboat, something I've hankered to do.

I need sleeping accommodations, not much more. We will eat in restaurants.

Thanks, again to one and all.

Richie (Near The Burgh)
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Hello,
That sounds like a great idea.
Buy a Dodge.... you will fit in just fine, with that "new type" of Van Life crowd.
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
That sounds like a great idea.
Buy a Dodge....

Thanks for the endorsement. After more than three decades of prepping a van for a month before a trip, packing all the tools I might need, and constantly having that feeling of "What, next?" in the pit of my stomach, I just want to hop in a van and go somewhere.

You're right, an air-cooled is no answer. Although I will miss a stick, I won't miss pondering a Vanagone's hose diagram.

Richie (near The Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
That "beater who owns this van" came forward,

Put the air brakes on, big fella. I didn't see anyone "coming forward " here, I saw some guy getting caught.

Richie (near Thr Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
\
..... that question was his 5th total post.... (which leads me to other conclusions about the poster)

Well, Inspector Clouseau, since it seems to matter to you, I have about 100 more posts and 7 years more with TheSamba than even you under the name RicoS. My OG account was purged due to inactivity which leads to the new one.

RichieS (aka, RicoS)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

if you want the details

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725468&highlight=cheese+sticks

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

RichieS wrote:

Put the air brakes on, big fella. I didn't see anyone "coming forward " here, I saw some guy getting caught.

Richie (near Thr Burgh)

Don't be such an @sshole. We weren't born yesterday and neither were you.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

RichieS wrote:

...I have about 100 more posts and 7 years more with TheSamba than even you...

That yellow Westy was for sale in 2015 and 2018, where were you then?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if you want the details

Thanks, skills. For once a low-life gets his just deserts. Gotta love that fake look of bewilderment he assumes when he is confronted.

RichieS (near The Burgh)
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What Year? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
That yellow Westy was for sale in 2015 and 2018, where were you then?

Robbie

Not here . . . obviously.

RichieS (near The Burgh)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: