Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Radio what setup do you have?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Cobra Cb Radio 18 WX ST
Uniden PC78LTX 40-channel CB Radio (with SWR Meter)
these are the 2 I have
The uniden seems like the better of the 2
but the cobra has the weather channel

Anyone know where I can get the Mosfet mod installed for the cobra?
vwlukas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

howdy you nuts,

im trying to figure out a compromise for my friends and i to keep contact in convoys. here's the situation;

i would like a permanent setup in my van. something that can pick up NOAA as well.

but i would also like to pickup a few cheapish hand helds to give to my friends for convoys. we most likely won't be more than a mile or two away from each other at at time.

is there a setup where i could reach the hand helds from a "base station" like i would have in my van.

sorry if this is vague and hard to follow. i'm just starting to read into this and looking for everyone else has found to work for them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

vwlukas wrote:
howdy you nuts,

im trying to figure out a compromise for my friends and i to keep contact in convoys. here's the situation;

i would like a permanent setup in my van. something that can pick up NOAA as well.

but i would also like to pickup a few cheapish hand helds to give to my friends for convoys. we most likely won't be more than a mile or two away from each other at at time.

is there a setup where i could reach the hand helds from a "base station" like i would have in my van.

sorry if this is vague and hard to follow. i'm just starting to read into this and looking for everyone else has found to work for them

I think maybe you're looking for a GRMS radio you can mount in your van like a CB radio would mount. Kind of a mobile base station, if that makes any sense. I've noticed these radios while shopping for my radio setup recently. I already have a CB that mounts under the seat with an all in one handset with the controls. The trouble with CB's these days is almost nobody is using them with the FRS and GMRS radios becoming more and more prevalent. I ended going with an inexpensive BaoFeng handheld (https://amzn.to/3efLIZA) that will be fun to play with, and has all of the FRS and GRMS channels. You also get the benefit of a HAM radio and you can listen to the folks on the space station. Google the laws regarding these radios before you buy one so you know what you're in for.

Here are a few examples of mounted GRMS radios with NOAA weather that I think are what you're looking for.
These are pretty cool and I may still get one some day if I feel my communication needs aren't met. Plus, I kind of like the idea of a second handset on my dash. Not at the top of my wish list, though, as I usually travel solo. But if you're traveling in groups, I can see where this would be very handy. Hope this helps.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Radio is Stryker SR-94HPC hanging under the dash, running CB+10M Amateur.
Antenna mount is Larsen NMOKHFUD with solid copper core coax.
Antenna is Laird CB27S, 25-31 MHz (CB/10M) base loaded NMO mount.

— K5ZN
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

If it were me, I would stick with modern CB equipment.

The signal fidelity and strength of CB equipment is pretty good for a caravan of vehicles that are spread out over five or so miles.

Ergonomics are really important, too. You will not use a radio (and your friends will not enjoy using radios) if:

-you cannot hear what comes out of the speaker ("My engine is loud and it's hard to hear you...")
-your transmitted signal cannot be heard by others ("You were over a hill and we didn't receive your notice of exiting...")
-your received signals are not reliable ("We didn't hear you at all! Were you holding the radio vertical to keep the antenna up?")
-you have to fumble with it while driving ("Where's the volume/transmit button on this little radio?")
-the battery dies during a day long drive ("We were two hours into a six hour drive to Denver and one of the radios died.")
-if any one person is left out due to inequity of equipment ("Your radio just doesn't have the power like ours.")

The small handheld VHF/UHF radios all fall prey to the factors listed above.

A modern CB radio, mounted under your dash, with a good speaker, a separate handheld microphone, powered by the vehicle's DC circuit, and connected to a properly mounted external antenna, will solve all of those problems and be a joy to use. Think like a trucker here--someone who spends all day in the seat of a vehicle, driving. Truckers have had this figured out for decades.

The Stryker/Larsen/Laird setup mentioned by Gnarlodious is a perfect example of this type of planning: good audio, good transmit power, good receiver, good antenna, and reliable DC power.

I also think the Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS radio suggested by Vanlife Geek is pretty great.

I have several ham radios in my van, but I keep some good CB equipment handy for friends when we are in a convoy. Handheld radios (Baofeng) are nice, but they are about as enjoyable to use as a cellphone on speakerphone while driving--hard to understand, and not really suited for intermittent convoy conversation over hours of driving. You'll set the Baofeng down, it will roll over onto its speaker, the antenna will be poorly situated to receive, and you'll not hear parts of every transmission. It will get annoying, and the annoyances will discourage use of radios... unless you nail the ergonomics as I suggest.

kourt
KB5PRZ

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
If it were me, I would stick with modern CB equipment.

The signal fidelity and strength of CB equipment is pretty good for a caravan of vehicles that are spread out over five or so miles.

Ergonomics are really important, too. You will not use a radio (and your friends will not enjoy using radios) if:

-you cannot hear what comes out of the speaker ("My engine is loud and it's hard to hear you...")
-your transmitted signal cannot be heard by others ("You were over a hill and we didn't receive your notice of exiting...")
-your received signals are not reliable ("We didn't hear you at all! Were you holding the radio vertical to keep the antenna up?")
-you have to fumble with it while driving ("Where's the volume/transmit button on this little radio?")
-the battery dies during a day long drive ("We were two hours into a six hour drive to Denver and one of the radios died.")
-if any one person is left out due to inequity of equipment ("Your radio just doesn't have the power like ours.")

The small handheld VHF/UHF radios all fall prey to the factors listed above.

A modern CB radio, mounted under your dash, with a good speaker, a separate handheld microphone, powered by the vehicle's DC circuit, and connected to a properly mounted external antenna, will solve all of those problems and be a joy to use. Think like a trucker here--someone who spends all day in the seat of a vehicle, driving. Truckers have had this figured out for decades.

The Stryker/Larsen/Laird setup mentioned by Gnarlodious is a perfect example of this type of planning: good audio, good transmit power, good receiver, good antenna, and reliable DC power.

I also think the Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS radio suggested by Vanlife Geek is pretty great.

I have several ham radios in my van, but I keep some good CB equipment handy for friends when we are in a convoy. Handheld radios (Baofeng) are nice, but they are about as enjoyable to use as a cellphone on speakerphone while driving--hard to understand, and not really suited for intermittent convoy conversation over hours of driving. You'll set the Baofeng down, it will roll over onto its speaker, the antenna will be poorly situated to receive, and you'll not hear parts of every transmission. It will get annoying, and the annoyances will discourage use of radios... unless you nail the ergonomics as I suggest.

kourt
KB5PRZ

Not to thread jack, but where in the world did you get those mounts kourt?! I've got my ham radio mounted up in my Vanagon, but its down low and kinda a pain to access. I love the way yours look!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Cobra Cb Radio 18 WX ST
Firestik II NGP antenna and coax

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment--the remote head mounts for those radios are made out of aluminum 2U server shelving.

I had a lot of it lying around. It cuts and bends easily and doesn't corrode, and has a black coating on it. The rack mounting tab is perfect for the metal underside of the dashboard--you can drill a few holes there and use machine screws with nylon insert nuts behind to provide a solid mounting--and those holes in the dash don't show if you change your mind about mounting radios.

Lastly, get a Magnetic Mic setup for your microphones. Cops and truckers use them all the time. Instead of taking my eyes off the road to stow my mic, I just lower my hand in the general area and SNAP the magnets grab the mic and stow it for me.

kourt
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Been looking at this aswell, but being in the UK i was wondering whether the same rules apply to being not able to use a mobile phone whilst driving to using a handheld cb radio or even the handheld talk button ??
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

In the US, the "no mobile device use while driving" laws almost always include exceptions for two-way radios. I can't say how those laws are written in the UK.

kourt
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
In the US, the "no mobile device use while driving" laws almost always include exceptions for two-way radios. I can't say how those laws are written in the UK.

kourt

ok perhaps the same applies over here then, will have to find out ask a local bobby me thinks.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

The only difference appears to be "whilst" Razz

https://www.dcs2way.co.uk/news/is-it-legal-to-use-a-two-way-radio-whilst-driving.htm

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q659.htm
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
The only difference appears to be "whilst" Razz

https://www.dcs2way.co.uk/news/is-it-legal-to-use-a-two-way-radio-whilst-driving.htm

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q659.htm

Couple of interesting reads there, thanks. Knowing what our police are like they will if they see you using it stop and fine without even thinking this and will probably say we saw you using your mobile, still with this on the internet it’s a useful reference to show them if they do.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Depends on the state.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just installed a Temporary CB Radio
And, Honestly, after traveling Seattle to Portland
I didn't feel it worked all that well.?

Does Tuning with a SWR Meter make a
Significant Difference?

And Should I Run a Ground Wire
up to the Base of the Antenna?

Thanks !!!
JC...

steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Isn't GMRS the go to band these days?
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Is this your first experience with citizens band? Who are you trying to communicate with? In its heyday (70s), CB radio was annoying.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Isn't GMRS the go to band these days?
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Is this your first experience with citizens band? Who are you trying to communicate with? In its heyday (70s), CB radio was annoying.

GMRS has a lot of advantages over CB, but it seems pretty split here in the PNW. A lot of people use GMRS, a lot use CB. Sometimes you get lucky and your caravan is full of hams and you get the REALLY good bands Razz
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

Where in the hell did you find a radio shack cb???
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Where in the hell did you find a radio shack cb???

They're all over ebay...I like the sports - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224405071752
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: CB Radio what setup do you have? Reply with quote

@Energy Concepts, what's with your window? The pic of your antenna,, is that your front passenger window? With some knda louvers?

Oooh, just realized it's probably a reflection of building siding...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: