Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese Diesel Heater Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos about the Chinese diesel heater, but there's still a few questions I haven't found answers for.
1. They are described as a parking heater and videos talk about using them when camping. I'm assuming they can also be used while driving?
2. For the bus is the 2k or the 5k the better choice?
3. For a gas bus has anyone come up with a way of mounting the diesel tank under the bus vs inside the cab? If I mounted it inside I was considering putting it in the rear closet of my 74.
4. Does the air intake at the back end of the heater need to be outside air vs cabin air? I saw one video that warned against just constantly recycling cabin air.
5. I read a post about using a 50/50 mix of diesel and kerosene. Is this recommended ‽

The most logical place to install it in my 74 would be under the rear bench seat on the driver side. One Vanagon video put it there and cut a hole in the end of the bench platform to allow air from the cabin to reach the air intake of the heater. Mounting it on the driver side would give easy access to run the fuel line if I mounted the fuel tank in the closet. But this still leaves the question of whether the heater needs to be fed outside air. One option would be to open the wing window a bit on the driver end of the rear bench seat.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

I have a 5kw in my 1970 Westfalia pop top. The actual heater is under the bed, the vents come through the panel beneath it and the 5 litre fuel tank is in the bottom of the wardrobe. I run mine on straight diesel, burns very clean and doesn’t stink, yes the intake should be outside but the way they are designed so the inlet & exhaust can only be outside the bus. I think they are amazing things, mine was £110 with free post, I don’t know what they are like in the US price wise?? I’ve also fitted several both 2kw & 5kw to customers buses, and a beetle! Everyone has been very happy with them. They come with decent instructions and are pretty straight forward, if you’re pretty handy you’ll have it fitted and running in a morning.

Keeps the bus lovely and warm, I even use it when driving when driving on really cold days. Very economical too I think, recommend 100%
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727273

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714257

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

If the heater is burning inside air only it could lower the Oxygen levels and it's called a "parking heater" because if you have an accident and the bus flips on it's side and if that heater has an electric fuel pump having a fire and fuel spilling about would get the company sued out of business quick.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
1. They are described as a parking heater and videos talk about using them when camping. I'm assuming they can also be used while driving?
2. For the bus is the 2k or the 5k the better choice?
3. For a gas bus has anyone come up with a way of mounting the diesel tank under the bus vs inside the cab? If I mounted it inside I was considering putting it in the rear closet of my 74.
4. Does the air intake at the back end of the heater need to be outside air vs cabin air? I saw one video that warned against just constantly recycling cabin air.
5. I read a post about using a 50/50 mix of diesel and kerosene. Is this recommended ‽

1. Yes, works great while driving too.
2. 5k is great for very cold camping nights. 2k would probably work fine too. From one YouTube video I saw, it's recommended to run it at full power every month or so to burn out any accumulated carbon in the combustion chamber. So 2k would need to be run at a higher speed than a 5k for the same cabin temperature. Higher speed builds up less carbon. (I had to clean the carbon out manually twice, and it is NOT a fun job. It's comparable to cleaning and greasing CV joints. Mad )
3. I bought a smaller tank off Amazon (about the size of a shoe box) and it fits neatly under one side of the bench. Having it outside the cabin would be preferable, but this was easier. I also ran a long fuel line up through the floor so I can pull the tank out of the cabin, which makes it much easier to fill. And less likely to get any diesel smells inside the cabin.
4. Not sure what you mean about "intake air at the back of the heater". There are two intakes: one fresh air intake into the combustion chamber (that one must come from outside the cabin), and the second one is the air that is being heated. That one needs to be inside the cabin, otherwise you'll spend too much energy just heating the cold air.
5. I've never heard about a 50/50 mix. A video I saw didn't recommend using all kerosene, although I can't remember the reason why. I've only used straight diesel, and it hasn't been a problem at all.

Other than a stupid mistake I made when installing the unit, I've been very pleased with the heater. The last time I used it was a couple months ago while camping. It worked so well, I had to turn it off in the middle of the night because it got too warm. Them we woke up to ice on the inside of all the windows! In retrospect, I should have just opened a couple of windows instead of turning off the heater.

If you end up getting and installing one, let us know how you like it and where you placed it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If the heater is burning inside air only it could lower the Oxygen levels and it's called a "parking heater" because if you have an accident and the bus flips on it's side and if that heater has an electric fuel pump having a fire and fuel spilling about would get the company sued out of business quick.

Nope, even if an installer went so far out of their way to install it in a fashion that the combustion intake air was from inside the cabin (which would be both difficult and against installation instructions) and then combustion exhausted outside. it will NOT lower the overall O2 level inside the bus. your VW is NOT airtight.. and the fire would suffocate out long before you actually would.

the fuel pump won't continue to pump it's miniscule amount of fuel past a certain 'duration' of time after the heat/flame sensor stops detecting combustion. these are NOT 1970s kerosene heaters. they are smarter than that..
and lets say it leaked DIESEL fuel it would be very hard to get it to ignite.
Quote:
If you toss a lit match into a puddle of diesel fuel, it'll go out. That's because diesel is much less flammable than gasoline. In a car, it takes intense pressure or sustained flame to ignite diesel.

good read on it https://firefighterinsider.com/is-diesel-flammable...%20ignite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Nope, even if an installer went so far out of their way to install it in a fashion that the combustion intake air was from inside the cabin (which would be both difficult and against installation instructions) and then combustion exhausted outside. it will NOT lower the overall O2 level inside the bus. your VW is NOT airtight.. and the fire would suffocate out long before you actually would.

the fuel pump won't continue to pump it's miniscule amount of fuel past a certain 'duration' of time after the heat/flame sensor stops detecting combustion. these are NOT 1970s kerosene heaters. they are smarter than that..
Quote:
If you toss a lit match into a puddle of diesel fuel, it'll go out. That's because diesel is much less flammable than gasoline. In a car, it takes intense pressure or sustained flame to ignite diesel.

So you are saying if a drunk going 85MPH and blows through a stop sign and hits your bus in the side where the tank is located and your diesel heater is running while your sliding down the street sparks flying it is safe to be inside. That's why it's called a "Parking Heater". If the O2 is lowered to a point you pass out that heater will still be cranking out heat before it passes out.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

I didn't word my question clearly enough about the heater having access to air. I know the two metal hoses go out to the exhaust and the outside air intake. What I'm wondering about is the end of the heater opposite the hot air blower.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That opposite end needs access to air within the cabin, correct? I saw an installation for a Vanagon and they placed it in the compartment under the bench seat.

I like that location because it's near the rear where I'll get power from the battery and it's close to the closet where I would plan to mount the fuel tank.

On the video i watched the guy cut a hole in the side of the seat compartment so it would have more access to air for that heater air intakde.

You can see the hole he cut on the left side of the photo.

There is about a 2.5 inch gap between the seat compartment and the driver side wall of the bus. But on my bus cutting a hole on the intake end of the heater would not result in extra air because when you putthe bench seat down it covers that gap. So my question is, can the heater operate properly in an enclosed wood box under the bench seat? It seems like it would need more open area.

k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Quote:

So you are saying if a drunk going 85MPH and blows through a stop sign and hits your bus in the side where the tank is located and your diesel heater is running while your sliding down the street sparks flying it is safe to be inside. That's why it's called a "Parking Heater". If the O2 is lowered to a point you pass out that heater will still be cranking out heat before it passes out.

If that scenario happened you’d be dead from the impact anyway

Cor you must be fun at parties....
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

Here’s mine, picture is misleading. There is a about a 4” gap between heater and wheel arch
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:

Here’s mine, picture is misleading. There is a about a 4” gap between heater and wheel arch

So this is an en enclosed area when the heater is operating? What is the reason for the foil?
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
k@rlos wrote:

So this is an en enclosed area when the heater is operating? What is the reason for the foil?

Sound proofing and insulation
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

I don't usually toss insults, but you sir are both pedantic and dumb.

yeah, I'm saying the heater and it's fuel tank will be fine in an 85mph T-boned argument. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

[quote="Starbucket"][quote="danfromsyr"]
Starbucket wrote:

Quote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

and the heater DOES NOT CONSUME INTERIOR AIR, so it has ZERO effect on your O2 and ability to breath most certainly while driving

now if you want to be worried about a 'parking heater' then no one talks about the CO issue of poorly planned exhaust, and less than air tight vans with rust floors or open OE heat ducts. some people (improperly) don't install the combustion exhaust outside the umbrella of the chassis. this is the risks of uncertified installations. and why NEW VWs had to abide by RIVA rules when produced/sold. https://www.rvia.org/standards-regulations
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

dr8track, iirc but the seat does not sit on the sideboard completely either so there is plenty of air gap there for it to draw in recirculating air.
it would be quite a feat for the underseat storage area to be an airdraw restriction., there's like a 1 to 1.5in gap up there. plenty for airflow.
well it could if stuffed with lings like asleeping bag/pillows etc..
and yes if the airflow was restricted then the heater would run HOTter than it's happy with and would actually shut off (because they have heat safeties in the processing board). it's not a bad idea to allow it a better ducted intake air so that doesn't happen by accident.. also make sure you use a grill or wire mesh so that rodents don't set up a habit trail inside the works.

but it'll generally work just fine sucking air from under the seat box.

dr8track wrote:
I didn't word my question clearly enough about the heater having access to air. I know the two metal hoses go out to the exhaust and the outside air intake. What I'm wondering about is the end of the heater opposite the hot air blower.

That opposite end needs access to air within the cabin, correct? I saw an installation for a Vanagon and they placed it in the compartment under the bench seat.

I like that location because it's near the rear where I'll get power from the battery and it's close to the closet where I would plan to mount the fuel tank.

On the video i watched the guy cut a hole in the side of the seat compartment so it would have more access to air for that heater air intakde.

There is about a 2.5 inch gap between the seat compartment and the driver side wall of the bus. But on my bus cutting a hole on the intake end of the heater would not result in extra air because when you putthe bench seat down it covers that gap. So my question is, can the heater operate properly in an enclosed wood box under the bench seat? It seems like it would need more open area.

dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful info gents. I think I have a general plan now. Not sure where I will place the fuel pump. I've seen the videos of how noisy it is which leads many folks to mount it underneath. By far the quietest option I've seen was a guy who suspended it in an interior location. He does a before and after in the video and you can barely hear it when suspended.
This isn't the one I originally saw,but same idea.
https://youtu.be/YxalU1klYoE
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a 5K Chinese diesel heater from Amazon. I went ahead and ordered the larger 15L fuel tank. I plan to put it in my closet so there was room for the larger tank. I noticed when I unpacked it that it comes with a metal fuel line that inserts into the tank through the cap. Then there is a fitting to connect the tube to the fuel pump. Looks waye more convenient than drilling the hole in the fuel tank and fishing that fitting through.
I'm pretty sure I will put the heater under the rear seat, but I was curious if anyone has installed the heater under the bus? Seems like you could have a metal frame covered in sheet metal to protect from the elements.
Just curious if that's been attempted
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

One of your questions was about a 50/50 fuel mix. Dont know about these heaters, but I can tell you, up here in the Great North Woods, near the 45th parallel, we run that mix in all our heavy equipment during winter. It merely keeps the diesel from gelling on sub-zero days.

Unless you plan on camping in Canada, in Febuary, I dont see where this would matter.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

do some searching, there have been a few under the bus installs..
though no one has reported back regularly how they're operating down there.

If I was me, I would SERIOUSLY NOT consider mounting the tank inside the bus.. especially in the closet.. there is nearly no way to not get diesel to 'wick' on a surface. it's seriously stinky.

I haven't mounted the heater in my bay just yet, but I am considering this tank in the back by the Drivers side battery. though 5L is only enough for ~1day.. would have to bring a refill gallon for the 2nd day (depending on weather)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393295863082?hash=item5b92429d2a:g:yWUAAOSw~E5gkkEK

Or a round tank under the bus like a propane tank modified to a remote fuel filler opening/cap. I have an old fire extinguisher that I can modify, should hold ~3gals.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater Questions Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Quote:

Portable kerosene heaters (same basic fuel as OR diesel), drop the wick into the tank to extinguish the flame. Considering that trucks have their fuel tanks hanging offthe side right below the driver compartment, I agree this is a non-issue. Though, the stink inside if you spill a little or it leaks will make your eyes water worse than when the dog farts.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: