Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

i wanted to get out for another cycling/trains/camping adventure before i tear apart the Westy suspension. i really need to get the parts out of the dining room! i reserved a campsite at the Port Clinton area of the Weiser State Forest and did some maintenance to the Surly Long Haul Trucker...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the Westy has been running great since replacing the heads and having the OEM Bosch injectors serviced. the addition of the oil pressure and temp gauges was a smart move, knowing what is happening in the engine is important. the oil pressure and temp are looking good while running 65mph on the Turnpike.

i started in Bethleham at the Sand Island trail head along the D&L Trail. the plan was to head north/west along the canal and do about 20 miles. after the Allentown Canal Park, the route basically evaporates and is 7 miles of road riding. not what i wanted to do, boo. after a few road miles i decided to head back to the Westy, relocate to the canal park and hang out.

this is a bit of a famous train watching location. the Westy is proving to be a great railfanning platform. i made some coffee and ate lunch, talked to passerbys about Vanagons. after an hour of hanging out i decided i better get moving to Port Clinton...

i was watching the clock and had to be in Port Clinton by 2:30 if i wanted to catch the Reading and Northern's NRFF (North Reading Fast Freight) which left North Reading at 1:55pm (sharp!).

of course a railroad employee flagged me down and we had a nice conversation about Westys, Vanagons, and the railroad. the sun was pretty harsh and i was trying to find a new angle at Port Clinton. i could not resist setting up a shot featuring the Westy Smile

with the NRFF gone it was time to head up the mountain. the Westy was struggling a bit, the road is stupid steep and it had been pretty dry recently making the loose gravel very difficult to get traction. luckily i went with a Peloquin and boy could i tell it was working... it's a very wise upgrade for those interested in running forest roads.

the Westy in it's natural habitat.

why yes, i did ride the stupid steep hill on my Surly. my legs were not pleased with this terrible idea.

the Dometic CRX-50 has a very nice freezer. these Ben and Jerry's 4 oz ice cream containers fit easily in the freezer and make a nice treat after a long day of adventure.

in the morning i was up early and after coffee and breakfast, it was time to head back down the mountain.

i headed back to Sand Island and rode the 14 miles to Easton. it was a lovely trip along the canal, and then a not so nice stretch that had a serious washout in the last few years, then a 2 mile section of pavement before crossing the Lehigh River.

if you are riding the canal, i suggest you try the skills track. i could not stop laughing, the long wheel base of the LHT made for some interesting moments on the wooden curved platforms.

i was lucky enough to catch a westbound on the NS Leigh Line at CP Easton. the line is very busy and in total i saw 9 trains Sunday while riding.

just before the confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers, this is the scene that unfolds as the trail skirts the edge of the Lehigh and the former Lehigh Valley Railroad's Easton Station.

a very dusty Surly after covering 50 miles in two days along the D&L Trail.

that was a fun adventure, looking forward to the next one!

BiWerks Design, LLC
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

Fun!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

Very nice, road trip, trains, bikes, forests... A classic!
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

Looks like a nice trip, thanks for posting. Maybe I'm the only one here who doesn't see the fascination with trains? Or airplanes? Area looks nice to ride in.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

Automobiles, trains, and planes are probably the most accessible and understandable high technology we get to interact with on a regular basis. The amount of engineering and logistics required for them to exist is a truly impressive feat by mankind.

Very cool trip, putting the van to it's intended purpose!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

way better than some crappie 1990 tintop Smile

sanchius wrote:
Very nice, road trip, trains, bikes, forests... A classic!

being able to combine my interests into a weekend adventure is really awesome.

the late night rave music was pretty spectacular too!

BiWerks Design, LLC
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

This says I need to add PA to my places to go.
I remember nice countryside there when I rode my bicycle across country some 35 years ago.
Still have the bike. Early 80’s Fuji Touring Series IV with bar ends and a Blackburn rack like yours.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

As the owner of a crappie tintop, I agree. Laughing

Crying or Very sad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Automobiles, trains, and planes are probably the most accessible and understandable high technology we get to interact with on a regular basis. The amount of engineering and logistics required for them to exist is a truly impressive feat by mankind.

I see your fascination and raise it to flight level 370
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Crying or Very sad

i was aiming my dart squarely at Dave.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

dabaron, I love your trip reports! Beautiful scenery, van tripping, bike riding and trains (not that I know much about trains).

goldtooth wrote:
Looks like a nice trip, thanks for posting. Maybe I'm the only one here who doesn't see the fascination with trains? Or airplanes? Area looks nice to ride in.
nate

I love your trip reports too. Trains, drive-through trees, Wall drug, Paul Bunyan, twine balls, locations of violent murders, relatives, etc. If its not one thing it's another that inspires us to drive.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

Great trip report and excellent t-shirt!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Crying or Very sad

i was aiming my dart squarely at Dave.

I bet he Dodged it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

Trip reports like this are great!

Many think the Eastern Seaboard is nothing but wall to wall houses and strip malls!
That the only good outdoor natural places to be found are in the Western States.
Yes, there is still a lot to be said for areas of the West no doubt, but from my travels I've seen that the population has absolutely soared out there!
The old sleepy cow puncher towns are quickly vanishing!
Bend Or. springs to mind, as does Brookings Or. Get into the Rogue Valley, white City and the highway out towards Crater Lake?
Wow! What a change!!

Yes, there are a lot of people here in the East, but also a lot of space, a lot of history and a lot of beauty still to be found.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
dabaron, I love your trip reports! Beautiful scenery, van tripping, bike riding and trains (not that I know much about trains).

goldtooth wrote:
nate

I love your trip reports too. Trains, drive-through trees, Wall drug, Paul Bunyan, twine balls, locations of violent murders, relatives, etc. If its not one thing it's another that inspires us to drive.

I totally love the diversity of trip reports and peoples hobbies/obsessions as it opens up new perspectives for me. I see lot's of people who seem to be really into trains and planes and I personally don't get it. I love that you guys love them though!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Allentown, Port Clinton, Bethlehem, and Easton PA Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:

I totally love the diversity of trip reports and peoples hobbies/obsessions as it opens up new perspectives for me. I see lot's of people who seem to be really into trains and planes and I personally don't get it. I love that you guys love them though!
nate

I'm not trying to convince you that you should get all into trains, planes and automobiles, but some aspects that can be interesting are the science, historical and social significance of these things. Steam locomotives are an example, just the idea that boiling water can propel thousands of tons of whatever across the planet is amazing to me (keep in mind I'm not a train aficionado). Let alone the history of how the rails were laid to make this happen, the social impact of how we live differently as a result, etc., etc., etc.

Then again, there's the gigantic horsepower and noise. Very Happy

Looking forward to your next trip report.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: