Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed today a decibel meter app and this was the reading while sitting in the driver's seat and the engine was warming up.

When restoring the interior, I gutted it and it was LOUD in there. After sanding the pans and treating them with Rust Bullet, I applied Fat Mat floor liner to replace the tar boards and fat mat in the luggage compartment, in the doors & behind door panels, as well as the roof. I also switched the transmission gear oil and engine oil to fully synthetic, which caused it to be much more quiet, especially the transmission. Also, I have stock exhaust and engine (1600 dp).
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

Tar boards would make a difference (it resonates more without and gets back in the car from the outside even if you have the interior lined), something else that makes a huge difference are the pillows inside the quarter panels, not sure how those are on later cars.
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

That's an amazing question, with a lot of content

Here's my experience.

I have a 1969 Sedan, that was a body off restoration. In the process I added a 1961 rag sunroof, added a Kafer bar and sway bars, Installed Dynamat and foil faced closed cell foam as well as reinstalling the tar boards. The engine is a dual carb 1776 with an A-1 Header.

In the process I built an amazing audio system 400 watts X 8 of amp with 4 sets of speakers (Coaxial sets in the Kick panel & door, a triaxial set in the back quarters, Diecast cabinet monitors on the rear wall facing up through a cover, and a powered subwoofer under the drivers seat) I'm an engineer, musician, and VW fan, so I couldn't help it

The stock beetle was always loud, and the factory radio was hard to hear at highway speed. I hoped to manage the noise and listen to music at highway speed.

My results are: the car has less noise that it did in stock trim. but the suspension noise and engine noise is significant. While I can't help hear the radio, the car is still too loud. Noise is a relative and subjective thing. The beetle was a very simple car, and road noise wasn't a design consideration. My newer water cooled Golf is very quiet, and was designed with that intent, the Beetle is still a Beetle, and I love if for what it is.

The lesson: You can anything, but it's not always practical. Noise is a relative and subjective thing. I love the stereo in the car, but it's too loud at highway speed. The money spent on insulation wasn't wasted, but the effort didn't work as expected. What's perfect on a Golf, doesn't always work the same way on a beetle.

Good luck with the project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

One trick I've found that seems to work well for reducing engine noise a bit further is to find or make one of those parcel shelves that sits between top of the back seat and the rear window (think these became standard starting in 1974 or so - ?).

I made one for myself a while back, using some thin plywood, carpet padding, and felt. I've also heard of other people filling up that back luggage area with blankets or sleeping bags, to help deaden the noise from back there.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:

P.S. WRT the death foam, I just ripped it all out and didn't replace it with anything.

I think this would be a big source of noise. I mean that's an open metal tunnel into the passenger compartment via the roof and the inner wheel wells.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

I dont have a super but a 68. I have the whole thing done with kilmat deadener, at some point I will put down dynaliner and then new carpets. I dont have a headliner becuase I am lazy. I also have a fairly loud exhaust which makes it be fairly loud inside of the car. Here would be my tips to get it quiet. Use a deadener and something like dynaliner or just carpet padding. Make sure to deaden doors and literally everything. Try to get a hood that seals well, or just try to seal off the dash with a cover in the hood area or something. Use expanding foam in the corners of the engine cover where the wiring harness comes through. Put in a headliner, maybe even use a deadener on the roof before the headliner. No heaters and sealing up them will help with noise. Quiet carbs, or even a single carb will be the quietest. I had 44 idfs for a while and they are freaking loud, although sealing up the holes that lead inside the car where the harness comes through will help. You are going to want a quiet exhaust like stock, vintage speed, quiet pack. And the most important thing I would say is tall tires or even better a freeway flyer. I dont run small tires but they are smaller than stock. 195 55 on the back so the engine is up there in the rpms. A freeway flyer 4th gear would make cruising at 60-70 mph much much quieter. Even a slightly bigger engine might be quieter, becuase you wont have to use as much throttle. A 1776-1915 is probably the sweet spot. Honestly, if I have my windows up and I put in in neutral I have very little road noise even at 70+ mph. There is some whistling because my hood/vent windows dont close right. I would say you absolutely need a quiet exhaust. And as for a stereo look at my build thread. If I turn that up all of the way you hear none of the car sound. Literally no exhaust at all, its that loud.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
Tar boards would make a difference (it resonates more without and gets back in the car from the outside even if you have the interior lined), something else that makes a huge difference are the pillows inside the quarter panels, not sure how those are on later cars.

This ^^^
Without tar boards, the soundwaves are reflecting off the firewall and resonating throughout the engine compartment and traveling around the car, not to mention through the cavities where the death foam was (make pillows and stuff 'em in, there's a how-to around here).

You can optimize by laying 1/8" Dynaliner (Liner, not Mat) on the firewall, then reinstall new tar boards. Any thicker than 1/8" on the liner and you'll start running out of grip length with the OE barbs that are used to hold the tar board on (the barbs that are spot-welded to the firewall). Remember, the engine compartment/firewall is the front line in the war against noise, that's your first line of defense.

But if you're comfortable with where it's at now, then roll on, it's your environment and personal taste, more power to ya! Wink
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
I don't know if the lack of a tarboard in the engine compartment will be an issue. I didn't want to put that nasty old tar board back in the car as it was in less than ideal condition. To counter the lack of the board, directly on the other side of that firewall, adhered to the metal is a layer of dynamat extreme, with an additional layer of 1/2" Dynaliner. My thoughts on that anyway was that the combination would dampen sound and reduce the transfer of heat into the passenger compartment. That was the thought anyways. Maybe the tar board plays a bigger part in sound deadening. I don't know.

Noise wise, I'm finding it quite pleasant inside while driving down the road. I have yet to take the car on any roads with a speed limit higher than 40mph. Haven't driven it that far, just around the small town I live in.

Thomas

P.S. WRT the death foam, I just ripped it all out and didn't replace it with anything.

Missed seeing this earlier, but your noise inquiries make more sense to me now...

The main purpose of both the tarboard in the engine compartment and foam insulation in the rear pillars is for sound insulation -- yes it also helps with heat and fumes somewhat as well, but it was originally put in there primarily to help deal with the racket from the engine.

So with the tarboard gone from engine compartment, you've lost about 1/2 of the original soundproofing treatment to that back firewall surface (i.e. the outside half).
And with the foam insulation removed from the rear pillar/tunnel areas, now you've essentially got the equivalent of two megaphones facing into the passenger compartment, with the engine sitting at the mouthpiece end - !! Shocked

So yeah, if and when you start taking your car up to highway speeds, suspect it's going to get much louder in the cabin area. If you're wanting to reduce the noise level, I'd suggest getting some sort of sound insulation back into those rear tunnels, at the very least.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

Granted, I did lose the tar board, but it's not like I haven't anything. Sorry if I've lead you to believe that I removed all the sound deadening on the car but that's not the case. This is what I've done in leu of the stock tar boards as you can see in the following photos.

Then on top of the Dynamat Extreme on the floor I put Dynaliner. All the Dynaliner I put in is 1/2" thick.

Dynaliner was applied in various places as shown, before the carpeting was installed in the usual places. The Dynaliner is on top of the Dynamat Extreme.

And for what it's worth, when I ditched the smelly mouse latrine padding on the heat ducts, I did this to them:

So, ya... I am missing the tar board out back, but I do have what you see above in the photos.

And I do find it pretty quiet in the car. Wonder if adding a tar board would make any difference at this point. Probably wouldn't hurt. So, I guess the original pondering still stands which is... I'm wondering if this is better than stock?

Thomas

P.S. Also have a padded parcel shelf in the back.

Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

57db at idle. I only have sound deadening on the rear firewall, luggage tray and rear inner fenders. My floor pans only have carpet, no tarboards.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

I had not checked my idle db level in the car since adjusting the idle speed. The car currently is idling at 900 rpm, and I'm getting a 55db reading.

Fiddlestyx, what was your idle speed at your measurement of 57db?

Thomas
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

That's an amazing amount of sound deadening! I think your main issue is likey the open C-pillars all the way back to the engine compartment.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
I had not checked my idle db level in the car since adjusting the idle speed. The car currently is idling at 900 rpm, and I'm getting a 55db reading.

Fiddlestyx, what was your idle speed at your measurement of 57db?

Thomas

57db at idle at 950rpm, 69db at 45mph. I'm using a phone app, so take that as you will.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

Thanks.

I've reached out to the guy that makes those C-Pillar pillows, and think I'll pick those up to plug up those pillars.

Thomas

vamram wrote:
That's an amazing amount of sound deadening! I think your main issue is likey the open C-pillars all the way back to the engine compartment.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

You're right there vamram. There is a bit of noise and vibration coming through the tunnel too. And noise through all the heat ducts. But these cars have to have a bit of noise. It's part of the whole experience.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior decibel (DB) levels in your super Reply with quote

Creative Native - that is one quite Bug! Granted, I recently replaced the pea-shooters w/the Zoom Tube so it's a bit louder than it was a coupe of weeks back. At idle:

And at 65 MPH on the DC Betlway:

creative native wrote:

I installed today a decibel meter app and this was the reading while sitting in the driver's seat and the engine was warming up.

When restoring the interior, I gutted it and it was LOUD in there. After sanding the pans and treating them with Rust Bullet, I applied Fat Mat floor liner to replace the tar boards and fat mat in the luggage compartment, in the doors & behind door panels, as well as the roof. I also switched the transmission gear oil and engine oil to fully synthetic, which caused it to be much more quiet, especially the transmission. Also, I have stock exhaust and engine (1600 dp).

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: