Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

Plain as the subject

Has anyone put one of these in their van?

https://stores.12voltairconditioning.com/ves-12l-1...-included/

Seems like a great option for traveling with my dogs when it's hot.

By my math, I should realistically expect about 8 hours of run time on my 500ah set up. That's not bad!

It's expensive, but would make my van much more functional.

Any thoughts?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

Howdy,

What is your use case? Do you expect to run this from a battery while parked, or run it while driving? What type of 500AH setup do you have? LiIon or some type of SLA battery?

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm going to run it driving and parked. Subaru swap.

My batteries are AGM.

But has anyone done it?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

How many BTUs is it rated for? I didn’t see any specs on the page you linked.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

the link states

Quote:
Specifications:

Cooling Capacity 8k BTU

Power consumption 45 nominal amps @12 Volt DC

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the link states

Quote:
Specifications:

Cooling Capacity 8k BTU

Power consumption 45 nominal amps @12 Volt DC

Technically I see only 8k now that you point it out. Didn’t realize that was the BTU rate. Anyhow, should do a nice job. This comes up every year and it looks like the batteries and units have improved enough for a package finally.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

To get 8000 BTU of cooling will take about 2500 Watts of electrical power, not the 600 watts advertised.

The price is crazy
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

We have seen how low the electrical consumption can be for compressor fridges with the advanced technology now used in 12V compressors. In my rig, when running, the TF65 fridge draws 2.1 amps. (Some have improved the insulation and reduced even this low draw.) But recall that these units are well-insulated and only need to fight the ambient temps inside a Vanagon.

The Vanagon itself, exposed to sun, ambient air, heat from the radiator air heating the floor of the vehicle and the heat ingress from the engine compartment, literally functions like an oven. The BTU demands to cool thios oven are incredible. If the Vanagon were as well-insulated as a fridge, then a 12V battery-powered AC system might be viable. As things stand, it remains a bridge too far, in my opinion. It's worth recalling that the electrical draws from operating the condenser and evaporator fans are, by themselves, quite high.

The Teslas don't have the I.C.E. heat to deal with. They only need to address ambient air temps plus sun heat loads. Plus, they have a huge battery.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

8000BTU will not be enough in the van during the day. At night, I think it will work.

here's another option that looks more promising.

https://www.amazon.com/Douglas-D20-Rooftop-Conditi...amp;sr=8-5
dwdufour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

I've upgraded the insulation quite a bit, limo tint on all the windows, etc. Seems like these are popular in Sprinter conversions as well.

Howesight wrote:
We have seen how low the electrical consumption can be for compressor fridges with the advanced technology now used in 12V compressors. In my rig, when running, the TF65 fridge draws 2.1 amps. (Some have improved the insulation and reduced even this low draw.) But recall that these units are well-insulated and only need to fight the ambient temps inside a Vanagon.

The Vanagon itself, exposed to sun, ambient air, heat from the radiator air heating the floor of the vehicle and the heat ingress from the engine compartment, literally functions like an oven. The BTU demands to cool thios oven are incredible. If the Vanagon were as well-insulated as a fridge, then a 12V battery-powered AC system might be viable. As things stand, it remains a bridge too far, in my opinion. It's worth recalling that the electrical draws from operating the condenser and evaporator fans are, by themselves, quite high.

The Teslas don't have the I.C.E. heat to deal with. They only need to address ambient air temps plus sun heat loads. Plus, they have a huge battery.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

Website strikes me as pretty sketch... Just me? Confused

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

Don’t waste your money. Even IF it puts out 8,000 btu, that’s too low. Automotive A/C is closer to 20,000 btu, and we’ve all waited for a car parked in the sun to cool down.

You’d need a wall of batteries, and even then would barely know it’s operating.

Samba really should have a thread: Things that don’t work, save your money....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

We ran our 5000 btu unit all weekend long at a July race in Savanna. Ambient was near 100 and high humidity. With pop top insulation and curtains closed, it kept the van comfortable all weekend. The dog was resting inside during track sessions. I was actually surprised it did as well as it did. Of course that’s plugged in.

Where I get anxious is trying to keep our dog cool when not around. To be honest, I don’t trust anything mechanical. So we go old school, shade, windows down and water. If that’s not enough, the el doggo comes with us or we don’t go. Traveling with a dog has challenges, but worth it to us.

Summer is near. I can always tell when the AC topics comes up again.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

IMHO, always overestimate the value of shade...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FWIW: https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-Select-Solar-Canopy-P...mp;sr=8-34

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

I just go camping.

A lot of people try to make a Vanagon into a small class A camper.

A/C, blenders, coffee makers, porta-potties, showers and other civilized accessories aren't a part of that for me.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I just go camping.

A lot of people try to make a Vanagon into a small class A camper.

A/C, blenders, coffee makers, porta-potties, showers and other civilized accessories aren't a part of that for me.

Corwyn, I invite you to come camping in Florida this summer. Are you familiar with No-See-Ums? They crawl right through regular tent screens. They are miserable compared to biting flies and mosquitoes. It's not the heat and humidity, its the bugs.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

. . . thats why I don't camp in Florida Smile

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
camping in Florida this summer.

found your problem.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
camping in Florida this summer.

found your problem.

Very Happy

~ Captain Ron ~
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise n Comfort 12v AC system in Vanagon Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
. . . thats why I don't camp in Florida Smile

At least I don't have meth heads attempting to steal our van while we sleep. You probably don't like heat either. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: