Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxeer, any honest reviews?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carzdaddyjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

That response may have been a bit dramatic! Smile. I will give my opinion when I am sure I have it correct! Nobody should base their decision solely on that Wink.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Ok, I write this from the business standpoint of view, not like a user because I like to do my own stuff and learn from the herd, dominate what I have instaled on my 36 old car.

I've read the entire 7 pages of this thread in these 2 days and I was amazed, astonished at what some people are willing to say. My dear God. I mean, isn't obvious that if the guy doesn't respond to this topic or any other maybe he is extremely busy? Maybe he is in bed enjoying life? Maybe he is enjoying his family maybe he has a lot of work and has no time for this. Heck even me being foreign I have had sarcasm on my threads but boy o boy was I impressed on this one about some peoples talking the talk and not walking the walk.

It's obvious you can tell by the way they write is just nonsense. With all due respect.

Ok, so enough about the negative.

If the girl who started this post wants to receive live honest reviews and there's some by the way (like the 1.8T) well that means that there's either a really special relationship between the business owner and the customer and they do not have anything to say.

By the little I have seen of his company (outside the samba) the guy is a really smart dude, he assembled lots of engines, he designed components, instaled them and he has them lined up and if he knows mechanics well there you have it, he will have his secret recipes like all mechanics do. It's their business, here and all over the world.

If someone can't handle the success from someone well he is a "mala leche" like we say in our country and he/she can not accept true success. Just let it go.

Please nobody gets offended by what I write but we have to start composing like a team and not the opposite.

Cheers brothers from the other side of the border where we are planning another assembly line in Mexican Pesos prices but with US craftsmanship.

you'll hear about that project soon! (Has nothing to do with diesel by the way)

Blessings!

Roger
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

this has been quite the overwhelming response!
I really appreciate your input, im pretty new to having a bus. You are all really technical!
ausbran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Got my conversion done by Kirk at NorthWesty. It’s unreal, love it so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

ausbran wrote:
Got my conversion done by Kirk at NorthWesty. It’s unreal, love it so far.

Can you show some pictures of your raised engine lid?

Have you driven at higher elevations yet?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

There is good real interaction stuff in the thread ,and some painful enlightenment that there is no such thing as a turn key engine swap of any make, including VW. If you are contemplating an engine swap, you need a good working relationship with a local mechanic, and a plan to move forward with a 5 year look ahead , assuming said mechanic may move on/ retire/shuffle her/his mortal Bosch coil, or become a kale farmer like my CT guy did.
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There is good real interaction stuff in the thread ,and some painful enlightenment that there is no such thing as a turn key engine swap of any make, including VW. If you are contemplating an engine swap, you need a good working relationship with a local mechanic, and a plan to move forward with a 5 year look ahead , assuming said mechanic may move on/ retire/shuffle her/his mortal Bosch coil, or become a kale farmer like my CT guy did.

We've heard about the CT kale boom 😂
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Still have not heard a real honest review. I really would like to hear some real world experiences. There is no questioning Gregs genius, but I'm concerned about the customer service and follow up. This would be a long term investment.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
This would be a long term investment.

If you want a long term investment, buy Ethereum.

Nothing about a Vanagon is an investment, unless you mean investment in reliability.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

(not boxeer specific) I read his "investment" as the word - commitment. $15+k and the next 300+k miles better like who/what you are playing with.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

If you want a long term investment, buy Ethereum.

Better yet, mine Ethereum. Since 2018 I have mined 4 ETH with my gaming computer. Also my wallet has 0 affiliation with third parties nor any of my information.

I'm hoping when I decide to use my ETH, that I can fly to Europe, find a Doka, and have the seller accept ETH - avoiding taxes, currency conversion fees, and chicken tax (bill of sale super low).

My friend bought an LT from Europe. Not only did it take weeks for the money to get to the seller, but it costs thousands in conversion fees. Imagine sending over $30k for $13, in less than a day .

Does anyone know if Boxeer accepts ETH as payment Wink ?
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
(not boxeer specific) I read his "investment" as the word - commitment. $15+k and the next 300+k miles better like who/what you are playing with.

Thank You
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

For some who is curious about raised deck lid options. We went with Stephen Haus’ raised deck lid, its nice. It has two large bobbies for little items.

As for the motor itself, it has been pretty good so far! Its so strong, smooth, etc. I gets between 17.5 to 22 mpg in a heavy syncro westy. 4wd ON all the time. 2400 miles so far, cross country.

Ofc reliability or longevity is still out for a verdict but I feels good abt the kit. We shall see.

I also must agree, having a good shop (Kombi Haus in my case, they did a great job) for installation and support is very important. I am pretty handy with older buses, but I wouldn't tackle this job. The kit is very nice. Fits in nicely.

Am a happy camper!

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
assuming said mechanic may move on/ retire/shuffle her/his mortal Bosch coil, or become a kale farmer like my CT guy did.

any swap i do gets a 1-1.5" thick folder with every p/n used in the build. the reality is once they leave the compound i can only do so much and i for sure am not going to own these swaps from cradle to grave.

as long as i'm on this side of the dirt i'll help out with whatever i can. at some point it becomes the owners responsibility to learn the systems they are having installed.... that's why when i do a swap there is little to no proprietary parts, tuning etc.... it keeps things simple that way.

also keeping the VIN from a the donor handy makes life much easier when sourcing parts from the dealer. no matter what flavor you chose, Euro/Asian etc all these mfgrs have changes during the production run. it's gotten to the point sometimes you need the VIN and day/month of manufacture to order parts....either there was a supplier or design change.

i don't and won't supply "kits" due to the logistics....so many decide 1/2 way thru a build to cheap out or change it up.... not worth it to me to dedicate the time it takes to figure out where something went wrong.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

For some who is curious about raised deck lid options. We went with Stephen Haus’ raised deck lid, its nice. It has two large bobbies for little items.

As for the motor itself, it has been pretty good so far! Its so strong, smooth, etc. I gets between 17.5 to 22 mpg in a heavy syncro westy. 4wd ON all the time. 2400 miles so far, cross country.

Ofc reliability or longevity is still out for a verdict but I feels good abt the kit. We shall see.

I also must agree, having a good shop (Kombi Haus in my case, they did a great job) for installation and support is very important. I am pretty handy with older buses, but I wouldn't tackle this job. The kit is very nice. Fits in nicely.

Am a happy camper!

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
ausbran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Here’s my deck lid. It’s pretty much unnoticeable, no change in the sleeping pad or anything. As for MPG, not exactly sure but getting better than 25mpg with a fully loaded syncro westy. As for power and reliability, it is absolutely cruising right now. Greg has been great to work with. Highly recommend his kit if you’re looking to spend the dollars.

0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

When it comes down to it. Greg's kit is the newest and easiest to get parts for. If you have the $$$$. No other kit cam compare.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Abscate wrote:
assuming said mechanic may move on/ retire/shuffle her/his mortal Bosch coil, or become a kale farmer like my CT guy did.

any swap i do gets a 1-1.5" thick folder with every p/n used in the build. the reality is once they leave the compound i can only do so much and i for sure am not going to own these swaps from cradle to grave.

as long as i'm on this side of the dirt i'll help out with whatever i can. at some point it becomes the owners responsibility to learn the systems they are having installed.... that's why when i do a swap there is little to no proprietary parts, tuning etc.... it keeps things simple that way.

also keeping the VIN from a the donor handy makes life much easier when sourcing parts from the dealer. no matter what flavor you chose, Euro/Asian etc all these mfgrs have changes during the production run. it's gotten to the point sometimes you need the VIN and day/month of manufacture to order parts....either there was a supplier or design change.

i don't and won't supply "kits" due to the logistics....so many decide 1/2 way thru a build to cheap out or change it up.... not worth it to me to dedicate the time it takes to figure out where something went wrong.

From where I see it this is the fundamental difference.
Certain company from Cupertino delivers quite often tech gadgets and is highly against right to repair - their IP
On the other hand there are groups in IT and they want to have all open source with the documentation available to everyone. And all in between.

I'm not in the market for TDI conversion. Looking on the pictures I like some how of these parts are designed. I may consider power enhancements especially with Syncro transaxle as questionable. Just my personal opinion.

With my Subaru swap I don't have wiring plans and I DO miss them. If done again without them I would not go forward. Trouble shooting anything now is much more complicated. It is customers decision on the end.
The first IT company is doing really well and the customers got in to the mode that their products are consumable. Dear customer pls decide on your preferences
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I've been helping Boxeer a bit with a manual design so that folks who purchase can get some directions, rather than a box full of parts.

Still def very alpha, but its a head start.

Ive been paused, mostly, on my boxeer install in my aircooled for the winter, and I am getting back into it now with my full (infinity box) wiring replacement.

I havent fired up my boxeer engine yet, so I cant comment at all about running/reliability/etc.

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
I am getting back into it now with my full (infinity box) wiring replacement. .

Im doing the same thing with infinity box wiring. do you like it so far? I have everything wired except the dash switches. 3 power cells in total for all the accessories.

Good to hear I'm not the only crazy one doing this mod.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: