Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

Please teach me about the z-bed in Westys. I'm converting a passenger van to a camper. I'll be using custom cabinets. I need to track down a Westy zbed to replace the full width version I have now. My question is this -- were there differences through the years, besides color, or will the bed from an 1980 be the same as a that from a 1991? I just need to know which year donor vans I should be looking for.

Thanks,

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF

Last edited by pbrown on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

First things first. The factory beds are not "Z beds" The Z bed was a conversion from a factory stationary seat to enable it to fold open like a factory bed. The term "Z" comes from VW as they used to list their aftermarket non factory parts with a "ZVW" type number. Hence a "Zbed"
There that's done! There are quite a few different factory beds.

A standard passenger van has one- It has a wooden front and bear claw latches on the sides of the seat and lock onto a Pin on the body and have a little rubber cover for the pin when down. This style bed is mounted in a van with just plain flat panels.

A Carat has a narrower bed which is similar to the above bed, but is used with styled plastic panels and requires a plate welded on the body and a spacer top and bottom. Still has the bear claw latches as well as the wooden front.

A Westfalia Weekender ( Pop Top van with jump seat no kitchen) or Multivan has a seat that is self supporting and uses no body mounted latches or bear claw catches. They also have a floor and It has a pull rod coming through the front which unlocks the seat and has cut out handles on the underside to help pull the bed open. The only other change is that a Multivan and some weekenders have a styled plastic front panel either in brown ( wkndr ) or Gray ( Multvn)

A Westfalia Camper has the same style bed as A Multivan/Weekender except that it is Substantially narrower and always has a wooden front and floor and can be in 3 different trims.

So just asking for a "Zbed" could end with something you really don't want. When buying one ask for pictures and know your application.
I learned this all the hard way, I bought what was supposed to be a Multivan seat, based on the pictures from an ad, Verified that the seat I was buying as in the ad. When it arrive it was a Passenger van seat and worthless to me. I paid good money for it, and the seller was not easy to deal with. So learn from my headache. Specify exactly which seat you want when buying one.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

I did a bit more research on the Westy camper seat. According to Sewfine, the 80-84 was a flat seat and back and the 85-91 was slightly bolsterd. The seat frames on the newer had a place for a wire to attach for the bolsters.

I guess then that I should be looking for a 85-91 Westy full camper seat.

Thanks again,

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

Quite a few 84 came with the contoured bed/bench cushions, same as 85+ did. You should change your ad.
All that stuff has gotten much harder to find. If already making your own cabinets it isn't that much work to make your own bed/bench using just the 2 hinges from a camper bed.
The hinges are really the key to it and the rest is just wood. The full campers with smaller bed like your ad shows are the hinges you probably want.

There are a couple more factory rear bed variations besides what Stacy mentioned. 5 different full width variations, none of which fit your bill and their hinge sets are different, even the ones that look a lot the same.

Mark

pbrown wrote:
Thanks for that info.

I did a bit more research on the Westy camper seat. According to Sewfine, the 80-84 was a flat seat and back and the 85-91 was slightly bolsterd. The seat frames on the newer had a place for a wire to attach for the bolsters.

I guess then that I should be looking for a 85-91 Westy full camper seat.

Thanks again,
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

If you are making custom cabs then you have the ability to make the bed whatever width you want. Though with a steel framed bed it would require welding. I scrounged a pair of bed hinges from a rotting bay westy in the woods. I made custom aluminum cabs with no cab on the passenger sides so the bed is wider. I welded up a steel angle frame for the base cab and mounted the hinges to the sides of it. This also allowed for loose cushions that aren't permanently attached to the base, cloth on one side and vinyl on the other for hauling wet or dirty stuff.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

I found this ad for hinges. Are these what I need for my project?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1850593

I wasn't aware that the bed platform sections were just wood. I would imagine that there is some metal structure to prevent flexing. Does anyone have a photo of the bottom side of the seat? I'd like to see how that knob/latch works.

I'm planning to have Rhino Design do the cabinet work. I would image that he can build the bed as well if I provide the hinges. I like the idea that the bed could be custom width.

I can do any metal fab work. I have good welding equipment and know how to use it.

https://rhinodesignstudio.com/

Thanks Everyone,

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

I made a wider bed than the westy version using these bus depot hinges
https://www.busdepot.com/98553

I suggest mocking it up first to get the geometry correct as the plans that come with them are designed for a bay window. I also had to accommodate a raised hatch (1.8T). This kit is nice as the bench base can be flipped up from the bed position to be look out the back couch. Photos are pre-upholstery of course

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1850593

I wasn't aware that the bed platform sections were just wood. I would imagine that there is some metal structure to prevent flexing.

I disassembled a westy bench/bed and it was just plywood, foam, and upholstery.

The hinges that dougnlina linked from busdepot are the same hinges except brand new and for 1/2 the cost! Laughing

I used the same hinges in my 15° ALH mTDI automatic in order to have the bed at the height of the raised engine lid.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

The BusDepot hinges say that I need to build up the engine lid area. I really don't want to do that. I'm hoping that the ad I linked to are the Vanagon specific versions that allow the stock height rear deck.

I'm learning a lot while I sit here on the West coast surrounded by wild fire smoke. 2020 is starting to feel very Mad Max. Maybe I should start adding armor plating to the van.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy anything from the Pirates of Pahrump.....

Mark

pbrown wrote:

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

Current Samba Ad:
Z Bed from 1986 Syncro Vanagon Price: $200.
Original grey tweed fabric in excellent condition. Can provide pics.

There you go, The infamous "Z bed" One size fits all. Judging from the ad it is from a "L" model. Which would have Card board flat panels.
If they didn't have the "Z bed" Moniker maybe people would describe what they came out of.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:
The BusDepot hinges say that I need to build up the engine lid area. I really don't want to do that. I'm hoping that the ad I linked to are the Vanagon specific versions that allow the stock height rear deck.

I'm learning a lot while I sit here on the West coast surrounded by wild fire smoke. 2020 is starting to feel very Mad Max. Maybe I should start adding armor plating to the van.

When I looked at the ad from ZSI in Pahrump, I thought they were for the bay hinges, which result in a higher bed. Very useful for engine conversions with a raised engine lid or for added storage. Regardless, if you want the Vanagon westy hinges, then busdepot sells those also:

https://www.busdepot.com/251898561

Still considerably less expensive than what ZSI is charging for used ones.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Zbed Questions Reply with quote

Nice find on the BusDepot hinges. I have them in my shopping cart.

That Westy bed in the ad is in New Jersey and I'm in Seattle. I did email the seller but shipping may not be practical.

Thanks,

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

I changed the thread title.

I emailed BusDepot asking about the latch and seat foam availability.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

Update:

I have seat hinges. Looking at them and with info from my Bentley, they appear to attach to the engine deck just behind the seat. I've not looked yet but I suspect that I need to add provisions for a couple of M6 bolts. Perhaps rivnuts? I have a Syncro so access the backside of this area is difficult.

I also purchased the Westy kick panel from GoWesty. I've seen in photos that there is a metal rail that sits on top of this panel. I'll have to think about this.

Can someone please provide the measurements for the seat back and bottom wood parts? I've seen the widths at 46" and 47.5". I need the X and Y dimensions. I'll use 19mm Baltic birch for the material.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

Can someone please take some measurements from the two large wood seat boards that make up the Westy bed? These are the plywood parts that the upholstery attach too.

Thanks,

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:
Can someone please take some measurements from the two large wood seat boards that make up the Westy bed? These are the plywood parts that the upholstery attach too.

Thanks,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414383

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

I made a bit of progress. I was able to locate a complete Westy bed. It's in rough shape. I'm taking it apart and will document the measurements.

The link posted by joetiger does not have the measurements needed. Thanks for posting that. I'll add them to that thread once I have it all documented.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
ajowhg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

hi All, new to the forum currently mocking up a westy bed as I have the hinges I have checked everywhere but cant find the measurement for the side pieces of the box that your cutting up here pbrown, any chance of you putting me out of my misery haha
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Z-Bed / Westy Bed Questions Reply with quote

If anybody cares, I have a set of the OG hinges for a Weekender where the seat pulls out and the back slumps down. FREE if you pay postage from NH. PM me if interested.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: