Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cost of window tint?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJfierce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

So the temperature is already in the 90s here in Southern California so I figured my next upgrade would be getting my windows tinted. I’ve gotten estimates from 2 shops ranging from $1200-$2200. This seems extremely high, and I remember seeing threads where people got it done for as little as $400. I do have old tint that needs to be removed, and I know that adds a few hundred. If anyone knows of any shops in the northern San Diego county area it would be much appreciated.

Edit - Just to clarify, I am aware of California tint laws. I mainly want my back ones limo tinted for extra privacy when I stealth camp.

Last edited by JJfierce on Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Ours was ~$800 for full limo tint everywhere but the front. Front side windows had the maximum allowed in CA (whatever that was, I forget). We had the best $$$ 3M tint applied.

That was with the glass out.

Not in your area, but others who stumble on this thread might be interested.

The Best Guys
3493 Clayton Road,
Concord, CA 94519

https://thebestguys.com/
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Windows in and jalousies too, the cost was in the 80% range of your estimate for highest end ceramic tint material.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

the Cost? how about a law enforcement officer approaching your van with his/her hand on their weapon and the hairs standing up on the back of his/her neck?

make sure you're legal, which may include a lighter tint on the driver's window, etc. i know it is different in the Tundra where we don't deal with mind numbing high temps, but up here, dark windows set off every Spidey Sense of a L.E.O. it's a regional thing, but just be aware that should you travel in cooler climes, you may have a different law experience than where it is always sunny.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

This is an excellent question. I've been wondering the same, especially considering that you have to go windows out if you have a Westfalia closet...
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

The beauty of 3M Crystalline is that it effectivity reduces heat w/o having a dark tint. Truly impressive how it works. Our AC couldn't handle the Tucson heat if it didn't have help from good window tint.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-prod...amp;rt=rud

It also has a lifetime guarantee.

Total cost (9 years ago) was $410 including closet window out & in. Ticket says 33 sq ft were applied.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

^^^ 3M Crystalline at about a 70% light transmission is on my list. The last thing I want in a panoramic Vanagon is dark tint between me and the view.

If I'm gonna hole up in the van during a rain or snow storm or while its 20 degrees outside I want to see it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:
This is an excellent question. I've been wondering the same, especially considering that you have to go windows out if you have a Westfalia closet...

No, you don’t. My tint guy was able to do the job with the closet in situ- not all will be so capable, but it is possible.
Some people call him Maurice...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Your dignity.

Laughing

(Sneers from cold climate area where it isn’t needed, I would die in your guys heat, honestly)
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

$300 with windows in, no need to remove closet. (Was a pita)

Outline is done from the outside, there is a very slight visible edge.

Removing the old tint might be why your price is so high.

Most were 35%, driver and passenger door windows were 5% tint, but higher sun protection so I don’t sunburn my left arm while driving.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Just luv'in my Kasten! Very Happy

I do want to do the 3M Crystalline soon.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Midwesterner here, I found a guy about 30 minutes away, I actually WANTED to do a windows out tinting job, to get much nearer the edge, so on install there is absolutely no edge to be seen. The slider and Jalousie's edges are very well done, so not noticeable unless specifically looked for. Did not do the front or wing, and did not do the wind shield. He would have if I took it to him though.

Remember, most VW glass is ~17% reduction, which I guess they'd call 87% tint. Meaning 87% light gets through. All in, mine is now something like 40%, and I am happy with it. Next time I would go a little darker. I don't find myself thinking my view is interrupted, and I do wish there were something like 95% tint I could put on the fronts, as the major reason for this job was to get the ceramic heat rejection, not the darkening. My guy did not flinch when I asked him to do the Jalousie glass, offered to do them in the frame, but I was determined to rebuild mine, so I took them out too.

All told (removing tint from 2) it came to $350. 3M crystalline. Probably a price that can only be found in the Midwest, done by a guy who has another job too. He had some hot rods waiting that he quoted me a lot higher price on, so the windows out was a major savings.

-bobby
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Mine was $200ish with a Groupon coupon in Denver in 2017.

I deleted the back cabinet upon purchase, so it was an easy windows-in install.

20% back, 27% front. If I was to do it again, I'd make the rear hatch window 10/15%.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8577777#8577777

Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

All our windows except the front was $420 and that was about 5 years ago.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Your not in Seattle so your safe from Accutint. Avoid them.
They treated me like jerks, my doka wasn't as cool as their Ferraris and Porsches.
I just wanted my slider windows tinted and they acted like tinting a flat piece of glass was too hard. Couldn't get tint between panels of glass and had to resort to black tape on the outside when I told them I didn't want that.

I said it's possible, and went home and did it with cheap-o tint. Came back and showed them what I did.
Then they said my glass was scratched and they couldn't do the job to their standards.
They also wanted to charge me for their crappy black tape job when I said I didn't want black tape on the outside of the glass.
So I peeled off the tape and their tint since it wasn't tucked under the felt seal like I wanted right in front of them.

It's not very hard ! I had take out the plastic sliders so the glass was loose and had a gap to slide the tint. Man I don't get it. They said they tried 3x to do it ..I'm like..it takes 3 trys for yall to get tint on a dead flat panel of glass ?!? Pathetic !

If any of you want to try it, use a credit card to squegee the tint between the panels and wedge something between the glass to hold it tight while the tint cures. Something like foal weatherstrip will do. Pull it out wafter a day.

Worst part of the job was removing the slider window plastic bushings, buy those before you start so they're ready to go..

I'd suggest doing this yourself..it's not super hard. With larger van windows you may need a 2nd pair of hands. Just make sure you buy quality tint material..

Last edited by Crankey on Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

Tint cost seems to vary greatly depending on location, but this is a helpful thread.

I paid about 150 to tint a single aftermarket rear slider window, with good 3M limo tint and they didn't do a hack job like Crankey describes above or complain about the slider, just said that it took more time to do it right.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

JJfierce wrote:
So the temperature is already in the 90s here in Southern California so I figured my next upgrade would be getting my windows tinted. I’ve gotten estimates from 2 shops ranging from $1200-$2200. This seems extremely high, and I remember seeing threads where people got it done for as little as $400. I do have old tint that needs to be removed, and I know that adds a few hundred. If anyone knows of any shops in the northern San Diego county area it would be much appreciated.

Edit - Just to clarify, I am aware of California tint laws. I mainly want my back ones limo tinted for extra privacy when I stealth camp.

Not North County, but Andy at SDTint was great! Windows in and did everything but the windshield. Saved us a LOT of heat.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I was quoted 350 for all windows using 3m ceramic limo in Reno

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I paid $550 for tint. I had to remove the windows and disassemble the sliders. the front doors and windshield were not tinted,

dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of window tint? Reply with quote

I had the 3M Crystalline installed by Premier Window Tinting in Reno about 3-4 years ago. They quoted me $850 but the owner knocked of $150 after doing the install because my windows were in excellent shape. Took them about 3 hours to install.

Cabinet was in and this included all windows, including the windshield. Yes I'm aware that is not legal. All front windows are the lightest Crystalline and the rest are a shade darker. So it really doesn't looks like the fronts have any tint on them.

But when you roll the windows down, you can feel the heat form the sun that is otherwise blocked by the Crystalline.
Worth the money in my opinion.

Edit: Pics Added

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: