Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eBay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: eBay Reply with quote

I really miss the old eBay back when it was a real auction site. I miss the game of bidding and the last second snipping. The real steal was finding auctions with miss-spelled words before they had auto-correct. I once got a new Kenedy stage 1 pressure plate for $2.02 (+18.34 shipping). I got a IRS ZF LSD for $164.46 (+ 32.02 shipping) that was just listed as a 4 spider gear diff. Then you had the parts lots where there were 4-5 items bundled together and you just needed one thing. The last 7-8 years all I've bought off ebay are from the commercial sellers with buy it now and free shipping.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I really miss the old eBay back when it was a real auction site. I miss the game of bidding and the last second snipping. The real steal was finding auctions with miss-spelled words before they had auto-correct. I once got a new Kenedy stage 1 pressure plate for $2.02 (+18.34 shipping). I got a IRS ZF LSD for $164.46 (+ 32.02 shipping) that was just listed as a 4 spider gear diff. Then you had the parts lots where there were 4-5 items bundled together and you just needed one thing. The last 7-8 years all I've bought off ebay are from the commercial sellers with buy it now and free shipping.

I agree.
It was also fun knowing who you were bidding against.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Just depends what you're looking for.

I've had decent luck with ebay, almost all from small/personal sellers.
Just within the past few months I've gotten a used original carb for my old garden tractor, NOS replacement foot pegs for my older kayak, replacement parts for an RC truck, year-of-make license plate for my bug, NOS Canon battery..
And a used Canon lens that I definitely sniped, I put in a bid at 45 seconds to go. Thing is basically like new, came in it's original box with hood + bag, and I paid about half of retail.

Usually buy any small engine supplies I need (carb kits, head gaskets, etc) off eBay 'cause there's almost always a fair amount of NOS Briggs etc parts out there.

It's harder to get really good deals 'cause there's a lot more people looking, but there's still a fair amount of good stuff at reasonable prices, usually beats Amazon (but no Prime shipping).

Did think it was odd they nolonger show who you're bidding against, or even who won the auction, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had issues when some people were outbid and feeling salty.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Did think it was odd they nolonger show who you're bidding against, or even who won the auction, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had issues when some people were outbid and feeling salty.

Yes, privacy issues as well as scammers contacting people with "2nd chance" offers.

iowegian wrote:
It was also fun knowing who you were bidding against

The main thing I miss about that is if you knew your friends IDs, you could see what they were bidding on.
It helped me and a couple other people that bought a lot of the same stuff coordinate so we didn't run things up on each other.
Of course that only worked if we weren't sniping it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

I just bought an Impala listed as a '66 mustang. I'm not sure how he managed to pull that off but I has been talking to the guy before he tried eBay. I got it cheaper than my first offer 2 weeks later. I still do pretty good on eBay and you can still find stuff but it's not what it used to be, for sure. a Friend just sold some P-car stuff and it still flew up in price at the last minute like the old eBay
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Yes, there are definitely people still sniping stuff.
I still "watch" tons of stuff in case it goes for cheap and A LOT of stuff goes crazy at the end.

I feel like the only super deals I have gotten in a while were buy-it-nows.
Catch stuff at the right time and just buy it.

A few make offers too. Honestly sort of low balled a few people but we met in the middle which was fine for me.

I think I've posted this before but what eBay really killed was the dirt cheap stuff. Stuff that is only worth a few $ people don't even list anymore because they'll make $0 with fees and BS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I think I've posted this before but what eBay really killed was the dirt cheap stuff. Stuff that is only worth a few $ people don't even list anymore because they'll make $0 with fees and BS.

I've always felt if I can't get at least $20 for something then it isn't worth the time and trouble to sell it. Answering stupid questions, boxing stuff up to ship, taking pics and writing the ads, paypal fees, and then dealing with shitheads that want a refund for a $10 item.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

FOR VW STUFF AND MOST STUFF YES i AGREE. but there are still a few auctions. I know what I will pay and thats it. Im not one of those morons that juts keeps driving the price up like many do. Ive missed oh so many items that went for almost nothing just because I forgot....those are the ones that hurt the most. Ive gotten a lot of machine tools for next to nothing. vw stuff not much any at all any more.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Ive also found that I get stuff much faster from china VS cali.....order somethen comming from china a day after the order comming from cali and,,,the china got her 3 days ago...still waiting on the cali order...and this has been the way is is for all this year.I reckon the whare houses in cali are taking orders and 1 or 2 people working the filling station.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Im looking at a $80 item now, for $28, new....same engine different vehicle...- 1 wheel.....Im hopeing the seller will send a discount offer. Wink
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

I always buy stuff on eBay. I prefer the buy it now option so that way I don’t miss it. I’ve gotten several license plates from there for my collection and many tools and parts too. Cool . Can’t you still see part of the username? If I remember correctly it shows like the first letter and last letter of the name with stars in the rest of the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Can’t you still see part of the username? If I remember correctly it shows like the first letter and last letter of the name with stars in the rest of the characters.

Yes but I looked at a recent auction I won and it's gibberish and doesn't match the characters of my real username
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Two weeks ago through Ebay I sold a hardbacked British-published VW repair manual for 1968-1970 VWs; I'd listed this a year before, and had forgotten that I'd even listed it !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

How do you all feel about eBay now deleting Paypal for sellers, and now requiring bank direct deposit for received payments with the delay in payment received, bank transfer time, and how they can now withdraw funds for refunds right from your bank account automatically?
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

FritzCP wrote:
How do you all feel about eBay now deleting Paypal for sellers, and now requiring bank direct deposit for received payments with the delay in payment received, bank transfer time, and how they can now withdraw funds for refunds right from your bank account automatically?

Since when? I just bought something on eBay using Paypal a few days ago.
Edit: I looked it up and buyers can still use Paypal, sellers will receive the money via direct deposit.

If the transfer time is similar to Paypal that is annoying but it should be quick. I remove money from Paypal to my bank and it's there the next day at the latest.

Giving them access to your account I don't like (similar to Paypal) but you can set up a dedicated account without overdraft from your regular account to protect yourself in case they try to remove money at will, if necessary.
Or ask your bank if you can only allow deposits on the account.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

FritzCP wrote:
How do you all feel about eBay now deleting Paypal for sellers, and now requiring bank direct deposit for received payments

i don't know if i brought it up here or not but i ran into that about a year or so ago. i had a rash of things i wanted to purchase and at checkout there was no PP option, so i walked away.

i'd say i hit that wall about 5-10 times. every time i did i messaged the seller and told them they lost a sale. love or hate PP it's just pretty easy.

i still buy from ebay, not near as much as i use to.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
FritzCP wrote:
How do you all feel about eBay now deleting Paypal for sellers, and now requiring bank direct deposit for received payments

i don't know if i brought it up here or not but i ran into that about a year or so ago. i had a rash of things i wanted to purchase and at checkout there was no PP option, so i walked away.

i'd say i hit that wall about 5-10 times. every time i did i messaged the seller and told them they lost a sale. love or hate PP it's just pretty easy.

i still buy from ebay, not near as much as i use to.

not sure what that's about. my ebay purchases take me straight to paypal to pay. it's on the receiving side that changed.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Still a good source for obscure parts ( mostly non-VW ). I have run into a few no-paypal situations ( I also contact the seller w/regrets). Have not sold anything in years as they are small seller unfriendly over-all. They are rapidly becoming as clearing house for Chinese goods. Its fun following Chinese tracking and looking up the locations on a map.
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

We all get those annoying emails about terms of service have changed, and I seldom read them. Is that when they bumped their fee to 12.55%?? Am I listing items in the wrong category? Sold a distributor apparently in the Ebay - Motors Category. Brutal.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay Reply with quote

Jmiddle204 wrote:
We all get those annoying emails about terms of service have changed, and I seldom read them. Is that when they bumped their fee to 12.55%?? Am I listing items in the wrong category? Sold a distributor apparently in the Ebay - Motors Category. Brutal.

last time I listed something - a bike - the fees and structures were pretty outrageous. They want a bunch of fees up front first just to list, and then you can always re-run the auction if it didn't sell. the problem is the f-ing kids that like bmx bikes but have no money run the auction up a crazy amt and just never pay. it's a pain in the ass. I ended up listing the bike for a ridiculous amount buy it now, and it kinda went public locally and in the bmx bike scene - "this guy is crazy thinking he can get $5K for that bike." I got a lot of ebay messages from a lot of upset people. At the end of the day, A bmx guy that knows a VW guy in Stockton expressed interest offline and we asked around about eachother to makes sure no funny business, made a deal outside of ebay. I see this more and more

I still havent seen any listings where they will not take paypal (in the US) but maybe I'm lucky, and for sure I have been buying less and agree with the chinese clearing house statement. I have done some direct bank stuff overseas like german ebay where most don't have paypal but few and far between.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: