Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scam?... what’s the point?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

So I have several non-VW’s for sale on Facebook marketplace. I’ve received several messages from people who are pretty far away (they’re from Texas or Louisiana and I live in Indiana)
They’ve asked when they can come look at it and what’s my address. One guy I gave an address to just to see and he said he’d be over in an hour, of course he didn’t show up. Is there a specific scam involved in doing this? Another guy from far away just asked me the same thing. If not a scam, what’s the point?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

They are Honda owners. You meet the nicest people in a Honda.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
If not a scam, what’s the point?

To fuck with you. It's a form of trolling.

I think they get some feeling of power out of thinking that you're stuck in waiting for them.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

possiably there is a road what the same name as yours local to them.... #Bad Talk no I dont a dam car for sale now get out of my yard :snipersmile: :2gunfire: you just never know.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Onceler wrote:
If not a scam, what’s the point?

To fuck with you. It's a form of trolling.

I think they get some feeling of power out of thinking that you're stuck in waiting for them.

This is possible...

It reminds me of the people who "help" people by telling them they are asking way too little for something when they have no intention of buying it.
They often just want to screw up the deal for others or the seller.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

People suck.

Nice people swallow.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

I really believe it's because FB marketplace will show items outside of a users area and people just don't assume it's local without looking. But also I live in Texas and have jerks from Indiana posting crap down here all the time, what a waste of time!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
I really believe it's because FB marketplace will show items outside of a users area and people just don't assume it's local without looking. But also I live in Texas and have jerks from Indiana posting crap down here all the time, what a waste of time!

I guess since I live in a low population area I always check where the poster is located.
Another complaint about FB marketplace are the 100’s of “is this still available?” Messages and no response after I reply “yes”. Is there a point to this? Maybe these are the aforementioned trolls. I miss Craigslist sometimes, but just barely.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

They are phising for your personal information so they can steal your ID.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Years ago before computers my brother who had a great sense of humor would always put his 2 year old daughter on the phone with any nuisance caller. It works.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Years ago before computers my brother who had a great sense of humor would always put his 2 year old daughter on the phone with any nuisance caller. It works.

I agree!

We used to get the scam calls every evening while sitting down for dinner.
When the call came. The 3yo was elected to take the call.
Yup, worked like a charm! Laughing

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Pez wrote:

I guess since I live in a low population area I always check where the poster is located.
Another complaint about FB marketplace are the 100’s of “is this still available?” Messages and no response after I reply “yes”. Is there a point to this? Maybe these are the aforementioned trolls. I miss Craigslist sometimes, but just barely.

See I would do the same but now when searching a vehicle I am no longer given a search radius. I just get what ever they decide to show. I'll have California stuff mixed in with my Texas and here recently I've been seeing a bunch of yankee rust buckets from New Jersey 🤷🏼‍♂️ So I have to click ad and scroll to the bottom for a location. I lean to missing craigslist, a lot..

Maybe the real issue is I'm becoming old and this stuff confuses and scares me.. 😂
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Another complaint about FB marketplace are the 100’s of “is this still available?” Messages and no response after I reply “yes”. Is there a point to this?

This behavior is not unique to FaceBook. I often get that question, or "how much is shipping", on my ads right here on tehSamba.com only to never be heard from again. Come on, People-------give the seller the courtesy of simply saying
"thanks, but I guess I don't want it".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Pez wrote:

See I would do the same but now when searching a vehicle I am no longer given a search radius. I just get what ever they decide to show. I'll have California stuff mixed in with my Texas and here recently I've been seeing a bunch of yankee rust buckets from New Jersey 🤷🏼‍♂️ So I have to click ad and scroll to the bottom for a location. I lean to missing craigslist, a lot..

Maybe the real issue is I'm becoming old and this stuff confuses and scares me.. 😂

No, it's FB Marketplace.

Their entire Marketplace search is straight up trash and doesn't work in a logical way that helps you find what you want.

The default is they decide what they want you to see and selecting the options to force things doesn't work correctly either.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

Please! You’re not even addressing all the scam ads on FB Marketplace.....

Same Vanagon ad photos in six states selling it for $1,000......

Same with horse trailers, $1,272; Scamp campers, $600; etc, etc

Assume the ad is a scam.

I can’t be bothered even looking anymore.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

1st thing I look at in any ad is LOCATION.
As far as scamer calls, I use a bunch of things to fuck w/ people, like "Oh I'm so glad you called, are you coming over for dinner ? I'm doing a nice Pot Roast w/ garlic Potatoes & zucchini, after we can watch a movie, I'd like to see home alone, but the cat's want to watch old yeller" by this point they have said "sir, sir" about 6 times then hang up. Or act like your getting a hummer, "hang on, I'm almost finished, oh yea baby, oohhh yea" Laughing Last week it was the" you will be arrested if you don't comply", when the person got on the phone I asked if he was a Fucken scammer, he said " Fuck you mother fucker" I told him I HAD fucked his mother, she wasn't that good..... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

1St. Some people should NOT buy online
2nd. Greed is the mother of ALL scams
3rd. If it sounds too good, it probably is
4th want to avoid all the BS, don't buy online

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Their entire Marketplace search is straight up trash and doesn't work in a logical way that helps you find what you want.

The default is they decide what they want you to see and selecting the options to force things doesn't work correctly either.

agreed, but once in a while their black box throws out some really interesting selections, stuff I would never have thought to search for, but stuff I'm really interested in once its there in front of me.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

I eliminate that by only taking phone calls for items I have for sale. Texts and E mails are ignored.

I only get calls from people that have an interest in buying something. If they are truly interested they will pick up the phone.

People today are terrified of the phone. Are peoples interpersonal skills so bad they can't talk to a stranger or are they scared they have no self control that they'll get sucked into buying something they don't want.

Scammers do not like telephones, try it some time " Calls Only " works for me.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scam?... what’s the point? Reply with quote

so your tv talks to your phone?
guess i need to move out of the 19th century.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: