Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Blades
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Hi, I did a search and could not find anything on this.
I have original wiper blades on my '74 Thing.
Does anyone know what refill wiper blades that I can buy that will fit or that I can retrofit? Thanks.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Mike at thingparts has a good replacement. The Thing Shop does too. TTS also has a more "modern upgrade" available. Cheers!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

I just converted my wipers arms to accept standard bayonet wipers. A little bit of filing to the end of the arm lets the arm slide into the bayonet blade and the hole drilled in the arm and tapped for a small screw will hold the blade in place. I Loctited the screw in place and then cut it off and filed the remaining shaft at an angle to make it so the blade will push on easily but not come off without the proper forces being applied.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note that different brand blades have different effective lengths. I presently have a 12" blade in one brand running side by side with a 10" blade in another brand.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

As the reverend mentioned, the Mike's "Thingparts" replacement blades are a nice option.

The only problem I have noticed is that they are slightly taller than the originals, and the set screws can contact the cowl area when the windshield is folded down; causing two beauty marks from the screw heads.

I fixed it like this:

A well stocked hardware store would have these.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Excellent work, guys. Thanks for the info. I will try to use my original arms and retro fit blades. If that doesn't work, I will check out the Thing shop.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

As I name drop...German Motor Works also has replacements. Just to keep options open and spread the love without prejudice. Honestly, you shouldn't need to modify the arms...I went with Mikes...affordable and maybe too good (a lot of drag is hard on the old pivots.). If you NEED 'em, start there...less than the cost of blades for my Chevy. Do some research come spring. Like a leaky roof...when it's raining, its too wet to fix it...when the suns out, its as good as any mans roof.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

These are heavy duty and lifetime warranty
https://www.thingparts.com/lifetime-wiper-blades/
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

So... I just got a set of blades from Thing Parts. Converted to the set screws as shown above. Which I don’t think was necessary. But when I lay the windshield down, the middle of both wiper arms hit the raised ribs on the trunk lid. Is that normal?
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Are your rubber buffers on the hood fatigued?
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Are your rubber buffers on the hood fatigued?

They’re brand new
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Post a photo Bryan. Maybe the wiper arms are bowed or something else.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

I will once the paint dries on my wiper arms, and I get them back on.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

Not the best photos, but it’s hard to get a good angle. They don’t hit real bad, but they still do. What’s the norm?

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Definitely the arm is hitting your hood and the highest point.

Can you do me a favor and post a photo of a ruler from the windshield to the mounting point of the wiper?

I will measure mine as well.

I am not sure if the wiper is taller on yours or not from a stock wiper. If you remove the wiper all together does the arm still hit your hood?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Do both sides hit or only the driver's side?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Standing on the drivers side I measured the distance from the lower female mounting area in the wiper to the windshield and it measured 27mm.

What do your hinges on the windshield/hood look like? If there is play there (there usually is) then this could be the reason for the lack of clearance. Maybe fitting for a new pin or look at The Thing Shop for their stainless bottom windshield frame with hinges.

Measure the windshield frame to hood distance when folded down across the bottom. It may show you where something is off.

I am wondering if you can shim back the wiper motor too since it just has a locating tang then a nut and washer sandwiching it to the bottom of the frame.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Standing on the drivers side I measured the distance from the lower female mounting area in the wiper to the windshield and it measured 27mm.

What do your hinges on the windshield/hood look like? If there is play there (there usually is) then this could be the reason for the lack of clearance. Maybe fitting for a new pin or look at The Thing Shop for their stainless bottom windshield frame with hinges.

Measure the windshield frame to hood distance when folded down across the bottom. It may show you where something is off.

I am wondering if you can shim back the wiper motor too since it just has a locating tang then a nut and washer sandwiching it to the bottom of the frame.

Both arms are hitting. I posted a picture of each one. The hinges are tight. And here’s a couple more pictures for you.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2306137

There are threads on the wiper side and shaft side as you can see in the classified photos. Is it possible to thread yours so that it goes more towards the rear of the car without any interference problems. You will need washers on the wiper side to space backwards.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

OK, I took some more measurements for you today with some photos.

The threads on the wiper motor and the passenger shaft lead me to believe you can move the wiper arms in or out. I did not see any mention of it on the Thing Shop manual though..https://riverdrivedesigns.com/VW/

My drivers side arm barely clears the rib in the hood when folded down but the passenger side has much more room. I tried to capture a photo of the passenger side. I measured the arm to windshield distance on both the drivers and passenger side and it was 1/8" less on the passenger side ( 3/8" passenger vs 1/2" drivers). This allowed for 1/8" more clearance. I have posted photos for you as well.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

I looked at the exploded diagrams a little further (wipers are towards the back). Anyways there are 4 thick washers that sandwich the lower windshield frame. If you are missing these the wiper arms would be further towards the front.
https://www.thingparts.com/sealing-washer-for-wiper-shaft-4-required/
https://www.thingparts.com/rubber-washer-wiper-shaft-4-required/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: