Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

really making a link pin beam hug the corners
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

so ive been pondering on what i want to do with my car after i get my current set up on the road. right now its as follows,

stock width '65 link/king pin beam
-stock needle bearings
-welded in adjusters (sway away kind)
-stock trailing arms
-rebuilt stock spindle assemblies
-lowered empi oil shocks (they are going bye bye soon)
-stock drums
-stock rebuilt steering box
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but heres my proposal on what i think will be a good idea.
If i remove the center grub screw on the adjuster so that the torsion bars arent doing anything but keeping the spindles in the beam, and use the adjustable GAZ coil overs with the correct length, will i see an improvement?

also, i want as wide of a front track as possible, however i also want to stuff some wider tires/rims under there (like maybe 5.5s). if i buy something along the lines of the cb disk brake kits, and have half and inch turned off the face of the hub/rotors, in order to fit wider tires, will this ultimately improve or hurt cornering characteristics?

other than having the correct caster angle(right now i have one set of shims), is there anything else to consider?

thanks

edit- ive seen the off road guys rifle drill their trailing arms. does this actually add to strength and make a worth while weight loss? also i just realized that if i completely remove the center grub screws then i will be making a death trap due to the side load put on the trailing arms and bushings. so im thinking i will leave the grub screw is, but make the sides above the threads in the beam smooth so it can still move up and down and then weld a box like container over the grub screw with a cap on it so it can back out
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

You won’t find a way to narrow the disc brakes. If it could be done, they would’ve done it
You could follow the formula vee tricks, they can get a beam to handle pretty well. I run offset link pin bushings for a touch of front negative camber, you can really take a turn hard. That, with Koni reds and a white line sway bar has been pretty good for me. And 3” narrowed at that ( with discs)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

The key to grip... is to get good tires; high performance tires. They come in many sizes.
bigger tires are not always better, just bigger. Overloaded loses grip, called "load sensitivity" but underloaded isn't good either.. so how do we choose?

Tires have a load rating right on the side, that's a clue. Not the total picure but for example.
Lets select tires so the corner weight is around 40% of the load rating.
Average bug maybe there is 400lbs on each front wheel, 600 on the rear

So lets say you want a load rating of 1000 front and 1500 rear.....

You can look it up yourself, but usually the way it works out is you end up needing the smallest size they make for the front, and the biggest size that will fit in the rear.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

I would dump the torsion springs in the front beam and use Through rods, It will save a few pounds. I would not do any thing to the trailing arms, they are forged steel and are plenty strong for what you are trying to do.
I have wanted to make a pitman arm to mount on the passenger side of the beam and use a drag link so you cam use two driver side tie rods and get rid of the long tie rod, it should help with any bump steer.
To bad you cant use a ball joint front beam, they are easier to set up for handling them a LP front end and they have a little camber adjustment in them.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

I would try 195-205 semislicks and 2 degree negative camber.

45-50 profile with 16" wheels and 50-60 profile with 15" wheels.

Also big improvement would be coilovers with adjustable shocks and rack and pinion steering (VW Polo 86C steering rack fits)
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Well, unlike a through-rod, keep the top springs and they will act as an extra sway-bar, like the type 3. Interesting.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Also consider 3/4 inch anti sway bars front and rear....

Also a lot of excellent advice in another forum...

https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=51&sid=b42562d2106018d08fcb61961f41af60

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Probably controversial but if you're willing to sacrifice some straight line stability in favor of better turn-in, you can experiment with the toe slightly out. It will chew the inside edge of the tire more and directional stability will be less on the freeway though. I have no experience doing that on a link pin so caveat emptor and all that. I used to do this on my GTI but I like the bug (ball joint) and awd bmw at zero toe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

My experience is very old.....and I am currently re-learning what I thought I knew.
But as I see it.....combining the two.

Keep the scrub radius down.....if you run disc or something that pushed the wheel flange out then you must run the correct offset to get the scrub back it.

Put some more castor in.,....shims

Put a degree or two negative camber in it.

Don't run a large width tire......you will never get it hot enough to stick.

Through rods a Gaz type coil overs are great.....so adjustable for spring rate and dampening,.......but do not do anything for the geometry such as above. If you can afford them them run them.....will give you that edge of tunability specific for your car.

Overall......it is still an ancient design.....work well for what is it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

sorry about the delay. i was camping with some vdubbers and got 0 sleep on friday after forgetting the air mattress and laying on rocks at 28 degrees F.

lots of useful info it seems. i know theres a little science to tire choice so i will read some more on that. i dont want too aggressive of a tire tho. i will research.

wow i didnt even know through rods existed. thats awesome. i will be using those and the gaz coil overs i think.

ive heard about good results using the larger diamater sway bars. who makes a decent bar?

with a link pin beam, adding washers may add a little bit of camber but it will wear out the bushing tho. so what should i do? have new bushings and washers drilled at and angle and then file the sides of the pin carriers?

right now my tires scrub pretty bad, i really like the current ride height. i dont have the current tire size off the top of my head but should go with a more narrow tire? rim size is 5.5in in width and 15in diameter.

what tire size would yall recommend?

thank you!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

165/65R15 Continental procontact tx
or 175/65
I like 5" wide wheels, but 5.5 is ok.
or 185/60 is ok too
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

I also think 185 is probably as wide as I'd go on a 5.5 rim. if you are going for stock tyre height:
185/70 15 Dunlop D83J
185/70 15 Blockley radial
are 2 good old style tyres that work with our primitive suspension
The Dunlop is also available in a 205/60 which would be nice on the back maybe on a 6.5 or 7 inch rim
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations!

I checked the tire size. They are Nanking 165r15 875

So I'm guessing the 875 means 75 for the side wall?

I'm thinking about going with the first ones Modok recommended. The size seems right and they have a 5.0 star review!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:

The Dunlop is also available in a 205/60 which would be nice on the back maybe on a 6.5 or 7 inch rim

i think my rears on the car right now are 8 in wide but i will have to double check. i will be using 5.5s in the rear to match but i was wanting to keep the 8s as a spare for drag nights.

is it ok to go with a taller side wall on the rears like a 205/70?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

Sure, you have to think about it fitting the fender, and also you have to consider the diameter working with whatever your transaxle gearing is.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Sure, you have to think about it fitting the fender, and also you have to consider the diameter working with whatever your transaxle gearing is.

the reason i wanted the taller tire is to make the gearing taller until i get my transaxle built. i was thinking having custom gears made and a berg 5 speed since i will be driving this car for about 70+ years of my life assuming i dont die early lol.

right now the off road tires scrub but they may tuck in once the weight is piled on.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Taller tires wont handle as well.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

I think you've gotten your numbers jumbled up... 165r15 875 isn't a valid tire size, and in case you're unfamiliar with how tire sizing convention goes, it's expressed as an "aspect ratio," and it goes like this:

Example tire: 175/65R15
1) Okay, first off, the last number, 15, is obviously the rim size, so let's throw that out, cuz it's a no-brainer...

Now, you're left with the aspect ratio, 175/65:
2) 175 is the WIDTH of the tire, in millimeters, and, 175 divided by 25.4 is 6.89 inches, call it 7 inches (divide any metric number by 25.4 to convert it to inches!)

And, 65 is the sidewall height, which is a percentage of the WIDTH, thus:
3) 65% of 175mm is 113.75 millimeters, or, after you do the conversion arithmetic, 4.48 inches (call it four-and-a-half inches tall).

So, the 175/65 tire is 7 inches wide and 4.5 inches tall, not including the bead that's hidden underneath the rim lip.

Summarized, the arithmetic for your research purposes is:
175 divided by 25.4 = 6.89" tire width (cross section);
175 times 0.65 (65%) = 113.75, divided by 25.4 = 4.5 inches (sidewall height). Finally, 15 inches (your rim size) + 4.5 x 2 (sidewall height times 2) = 9, and 15 + 9 = 24 for an overall tire height of 24 inches on the rim, BEFORE loading under the weight of the vehicle.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

I think you've gotten your numbers jumbled up... 165r15 875 isn't a valid tire size, and in case you're unfamiliar with how tire sizing convention goes, it's expressed as an "aspect ratio," and it goes like this:

Example tire: 175/65R15
1) Okay, first off, the last number, 15, is obviously the rim size, so let's throw that out, cuz it's a no-brainer...

Now, you're left with the aspect ratio, 175/65:
2) 175 is the WIDTH of the tire, in millimeters, and, 175 divided by 25.4 is 6.89 inches, call it 7 inches (divide any metric number by 25.4 to convert it to inches!)

And, 65 is the sidewall height, which is a percentage of the WIDTH, thus:
3) 65% of 175mm is 113.75 millimeters, or, after you do the conversion arithmetic, 4.48 inches (call it four-and-a-half inches tall).

So, the 175/65 tire is 7 inches wide and 4.5 inches tall, not including the bead that's hidden underneath the rim lip.

Summarized, the arithmetic for your research purposes is:
175 divided by 25.4 = 6.89" tire width (cross section);
175 times 0.65 (65%) = 113.75, divided by 25.4 = 4.5 inches (sidewall height). Finally, 15 inches (your rim size) + 4.5 x 2 (sidewall height times 2) = 9, and 15 + 9 = 24 for an overall tire height of 24 inches on the rim, BEFORE loading under the weight of the vehicle.

Hi. I understand how to read tire sizes however the last paragraph you posted was helpful. Thank you.

These front tires literally say this,

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: really making a link pin beam hug the corners Reply with quote

Well, out of curiosity, I just did a search for "Nanking" tires, cuz that's what you actually typed, and they apparently don't exist, because I was redirected to Nankang tires. And Nankang 165R15 875 is what I searched for yesterday, and those didn't come up either.

So I suspect that the tire you're photographing is so old that it even pre-dates "tire dating" standards, and which, if it does, could explain Nankang's non-standard size lettering on the sidewall. I'd be really interested (read: surprised) if that tire has a date code embossed in the DOT code (it would only be on one side).

So I don't know what the "75" means in 875, I suppose it could be the height, as you suggested, but then I don't know what the "8" means.

Edit: Ahhhh, I see, the tire doesn't read "875," it reads 87S, which is probably a load index and speed rating or something (notice the difference between the 5 and the S).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: