Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

It’s awful but due to the pandemic http://www.westfaliarentals.com has closed up operations and their fleet is up for auction:
https://bid.ableauctions.ca/NANAIMO-WESTFALIA-CAMPER-AUCTION-ONLINE-ONLY_as72554
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

yea, i saw that advertised. with 9 days left to go some of those numbers are STRONG Shocked

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

That's A LOT of parts.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

Wow. There's a lot going on there. Looks like they were doing something right...

Quote:
"Our longest rental was 8 months to a retired couple. Our longest travelled renters went from Victoria to Halifax and back covering over 15,000km."

That sure is a lot of product. If someone had the energy, it would be fun to make a pool:
- Which van will go for the highest price?
- Best deal from the bunch
- etc.

I have no idea how what their business model was, but "Keeping rental prices reasonable with reliable vans not needlessly accessorized to inflate costs." may have been part of the mantra.

$17K CAD for this one looks like a healthy start...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But good deals may be had by some.

$4,000 CAD seems reasonable...

Quote:
"PAINT FADED BUT ORIGINAL (NAMED GODDESS)"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

With record number of folks hitting the road as a result of the pandemic, its interesting, that they had the opposite experience. Looks like a nice fleet. Too bad their business didn't survive.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

they cynical asshole in me has to wonder how many of those vans are really and truly "lipstick on a pig" bodies with so-so mechanicals.

stuff here in CT turns to dust pretty quick. i've seen some Canadian vw's and it takes rust to a whole new level.

no matter what, those van will need a DEEP clean to get all the rental funk out of them.

seems like a decent collection. i bet running that biz was an epic nightmare.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

wonder how the closed border will affect pricing, lack of americans able to casually cross and check stuff out or bring vans home.

though will be interesting to keep tabs on how many of these end up flipped on BaT or samba Smile

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
wonder how the closed border will affect pricing, l

Won't they ship? I've been looking (not too hard) for a Westy armrest for ages and if 4 extra seats come along with it, so be it - as long as I don't need to sneak into Canada to get them.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

^^^^

i had a clients bus here from Canada last year. it was an epic pain in the ass for him to get it back across the border with the covid b/s and that was using a professional transport company.

initially we were going to get it into VT and have him come across and drive it back thru. in the end i thin he had to have it hauled from me in CT all the way to like montana/north dakota/minnesota to get it across. like i said it was a mess

weather or not that has changed, i don't know but it had to be hauled a lot longer distance to get it back into canada (it was already a canadian bus) so i'm not sure if any of that has changed.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
With record number of folks hitting the road as a result of the pandemic, its interesting, that they had the opposite experience. Looks like a nice fleet. Too bad their business didn't survive.

Maybe they decided with prices peaking (due to all the people hitting the road), now's a good time to sell the fleet and work less.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

Just guessing, but I imagine that the wide availability of what some people think is a comparable rental option (Sprinter/Promaster/Transit conversions) would create a whole lot more competition for a Westfalia rental business... competition that didn't use to exist.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

stuff here in CT turns to dust pretty quick. i've seen some Canadian vw's and it takes rust to a whole new level.

This is west coast, nothing like Quebec/Ontario and the "wait, there's an engine in there?" road salt lump in the bay.

That said, being in Nanaimo there's some accelerated rot concern due to the ocean being right next door.

Robyn
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

There's been discussion on this in the Good Deals thread -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9626546#9626546
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

Flippers must be drooling.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

I've gotta say, if I were taking a vacation, flying in and renting a camper for a week or two........ grabbing a 30 yr old unit would NOT be high on my list of options.
I would so go for the newest and most dependable platform out there.

You only get X days of Vacation, I wish to spend zero of them broken down along a highway.

I completely understand the failure of this business model.

If I need to rent a box truck, I shy away from Uhaul for their units are usually aging and poorly maintained.
I'll search out another outfit if possible.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

I have to say, we’ve enjoyed renting Westy’s from two different companies - one in Kauai and one in Minneapolis, both great fun, great people and well kept vans. I did keep my ear open for any odd noises, etc as one does driving our vans, but overall was really nice to camp as we are used to and also try out different vans and set ups. I’d encourage folks to try rentals when your van is elsewhere. Unlike the average vanlife newbie, we all know what we’re in for. Wink

That said, I sure wouldn’t want to run a VW Westfailia rental service and can understand why they would sell when the market for vans is up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

Even more understandable when you can’t pay the note for the inventory and GUIDO comes knocking.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

If it wasn't an auction I would probably head down there and have a look. Some of those vans look like they may be worth investing in and there seems to be a stockpile of parts to put together a Suby conversion.

I have to wonder if dismantling the business has anything to do with the recent changes to our provincial insurance system?

A few years ago I seriously researched starting a rental business after a very positive experience in Scotland but I found getting straight answers about how insurance coverage would work to be impossible and I didn't want to take on any liability risk. Now the system has been significantly changed and it wouldn't surprise me if it became more difficult for a rental company.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

Taxes and buyers premium is pretty stiff
25%
Rear discs
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Big VW campervan auction Vancouver BC Reply with quote

space wrote:
Taxes and buyers premium is pretty stiff
25%

Quoting CanStan in the discussion about this in the "Good deals" thread:

"Seems like a really strange gripe. Tax is tax. BC has a horrible 7% provincial on top of the federal 5%, so the tax rate is out of the hands of the auction company. Pretty much any business that sells anything has to charge it. That leaves a 20% buyers premium, which I don't think is out of line with what any auction charges. It's hard for someone to be upset at the company over that."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: