Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just stripped the end of my crankshaft
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Take an old gland nut and make a thread chaser. Cut a relief in it. I have one of those expanding thread chasers for spark plug holes, works great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Ok got the engine installed and fired up yesterday. Ran pretty well for not pretuning or anything. But of course an oil leak at the main seal reared its ugly head. Pulled the engine again this morning to see what I did wrong.

The integrity of the seal is definitely there. The oil is coming through the back of the flywheel where it mates with the crank. From there it weeps past the thin metal washer/seal, through the dowel pin holes and out the gland nut washer.

To recap, this is an 8 doweled 12v flywheel opened up to fit the end of a 40hp crank with only 4 dowel pins. I am currently not running an O-ring on the flywheel as I was told it wasn't needed due to the difficulty of getting it to seat properly after going over the 40hp crank snout.

Looking back I'm pretty sure that those 4 empty dowel pin holes are contributing to the leak along with the lack of an O-ring. Before I put it all back together I figured your guys input would be way better than my educated guesses.

Lastly the brand new clutch disc got oil soaked. Not horribly bad as theres no swelling of tue dics fibers or anything but still it sat in overnight. Is there any saving it?
SBS #00
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

SBS #00
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

SBS #00
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

You need the o-ring installed. The dowel holes have nothing to do with the leak, they are just letting the escaped oil out. Just noticed it's a 40hp, then I think you would need to use the crank to flywheel gasket.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Yep. The general rule is that if the flywheel has an O-ring groove, then use it. If it doesn't, only then should you use a paper gasket. Using nothing is not even an option.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Ok cool. Thanks gor the replies. I'll pick up a new O ring and try this again.

Any thoughts on the clutch disc?
SBS #00
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Not sure about the clutch disc, maybe someone has some sort of magical solution, but I've always heard if they get contaminated with oil at all they need to be replaced.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

I've saved several discs over the years. Soak it in lacquer thinner and then let it bake in the sun on a good hot day. Sometimes a really oil soaked disc takes a few soak/ dry cycle to get clean. I've even set them on fire and burned the oil out, but please don't take that as good advice.
yours wasn't marinating in the oil for weeks and weeks, you should be fine.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

My take is they're cheap enough to replace. Considering the amount of work to pull the engine back out, especially if the flywheel or pressure plate glaze, $35 or whatever they go for is cheap.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

I mean... I'm pulling a 10k engine to rebuild (ugh), but I won't reuse that disc. I'll buy new.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Yup, soak it in gasoline and light it off, but only if you're stranded in the jungle hundreds of miles from the nearest parts store.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Maybe i missed it , how did you repair the threads?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Maybe i missed it , how did you repair the threads?

I went to a VW machine shop called DPR in Fullerton. They cleaned it up with a tap with the full disclosure that its a sketchy fix at best. But since I'm swinging a whopping 40hp, it has an OK chance of holding together.

NAES
SBS #00
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Well I was warned that the end of the crank was on borrowed time at best.

I assembled everything with a new o-ring this time and felt the gland nut tore the remaining threads out. I'm kinds bummed but overall thankful it happened in the shop and not while driving.

So the next plan is to go through my parts and see if I can build a rock solid 1776 with the parts I have.

Thanks so much for all the help guys.

NAES
SBS #00
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Leaks, especially like that one that wet your friction disk, are one of the prime reasons I like to fire 'em up on a stand first...in which case the clutch assembly doesn't even need to be installed. You may consider cobbling together a crude run stand for the next build, lots of ideas in the Engine Stand thread.
Good luck on the next build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: