Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Door handle wont open
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbie91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that 5.

I have the same problem on my passenger ('67) side door. But Bill gets the cake. What i do is turn the key upwards a few times until the locks jumps up entirely. Its just sticky. But that seems to do the trick.
Jon_M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie91 wrote:
Make that 5.

I have the same problem on my passenger ('67) side door. But Bill gets the cake. What i do is turn the key upwards a few times until the locks jumps up entirely. Its just sticky. But that seems to do the trick.

If you take the door handle off, you can get WD-40 onto the moving parts in the mechanism inside the door, and if you work with it, in very short order it will start to move more freely. That stickiness will disappear. The combination of swapping the handles and lubing the parts restored mine to just about 100% on both doors.
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an old thread, but by this I am assuming US spec '67 bugs can be unlocked with the key on the driver AND passenger doors?

Been thinking about trying to fit a locking handle on the passenger door of my Euro '67 and wondered if anyone knows if this will work?

I did search, but could not find the answer
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill ad my 2 cents worth about this issue. If the small foot of the door lock cylinder end (the part that is roll pined in place on the inside of the door when mounted) at all touches the latch/lock mechanism plate and pushes it in it can cause this exact condition. You can find out the clearence with a dab of grease on the foot, install the handle without pressing the button, remove and then look for the witness mark. Most of the handles are worn and cock the foot slightly to preload the latch/lock release. Usually a worn or broken pin as mentioned before, or simply just worn. If this happens the latch release portion for the outside handle never resets back to fully closed position. You can simply file a portion of the foot away to give clearence, or correct the worn handle.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
when you remove the 67 type door handles-- look at pin that has the coil spring around it. if the post/long stud is broken you can replace the post by using a "binders post" and a screw to rebuild it. hot vw's had an article on doing this a long time ago.

I know your post is old but i just found a video on how to repair this

http://vimeo.com/mariusstrom/67beetle-door-handle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE.KUDU.HORN wrote:
bill may wrote:
when you remove the 67 type door handles-- look at pin that has the coil spring around it. if the post/long stud is broken you can replace the post by using a "binders post" and a screw to rebuild it. hot vw's had an article on doing this a long time ago.

Hey, that's my video. Smile Glad it helped you!
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariusstrom wrote:
THE.KUDU.HORN wrote:
bill may wrote:

I sent you a message on the other website 1967beetle but you have not responded...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE.KUDU.HORN wrote:
mariusstrom wrote:

I sent you a message on the other website 1967beetle but you have not responded...

Hey, sorry I didn't see that comment until just now. PM incoming.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariusstrom wrote:
THE.KUDU.HORN wrote:
mariusstrom wrote:

Hey, sorry I didn't see that comment until just now. PM incoming.

I went ahead and bought a set of 10 from a company in Canada who I buy most of my hardware from to make the Kudu Horn leather slings...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Door handle wont open Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all.Say can you send a link,to where you bought the long pin,to repair a broken one.Thx,theduck Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Door handle wont open Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
Shocked Hello all.Say can you send a link,to where you bought the long pin,to repair a broken one.Thx,theduck Cool

Got mine at Ace Hardware.
Look in the little drawer section for "Binding Posts".

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Door handle wont open Reply with quote

Very Happy Great!! Will go get one or two,THx,theduck Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: