Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

Howdy,

Just noticed engine oil leaking from my muffler. It is not present in the tail pipe and I am not seeing any sign of smoke.
Good compression on all cylinders.

Anyone ever experience this before?

PO said engine was rebuilt in 2018 and has an estimated 20k miles on it.

Link

Thanks for any input!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

Sorry, don’t click on links, but are you sure it’s oil and not moisture mixed with carbon? For oil to be accumulating in the muffler, it’s getting past the rings or valves. How’s the oil consumption? How do the spark plugs look? Water and carbon are present when fuel combusts.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

I too rarely if ever click on links, video links are often poor and annoying, just post a photo of what you have.

I doubt its oil. If you had enough oil in there to drip out the smoke behind you would be a sight to behold!

Collect some on a white paper towel, I bet it is as mentioned...... water black with carbon.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

I'm not afraid of no link!!!

But, yeah, impossible to tell what the single drop shown in the video actually is. It seemed pretty watery so I'm in the same boat with Mark and Dave.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

I’m not afraid, just not into being herded to someone’s site to drive up numbers. Idea
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

Is that a diesel?

Touch it. Is it watery or is it oily? Only you can truly tell us.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Is that a diesel?

Touch it. Is it watery or is it oily? Only you can truly tell us.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I’m not afraid, just not into being herded to someone’s site to drive up numbers. Idea

It’s $5 to get me to clink the link and get my comment.

Thank you
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

I clicked. I'll give you a dollar if it's NOT just water. Wink

I bet it doesn't drip after 20 minutes on the highway, running good & hot...

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

I just put a turbo on my 1.9 1y diesel. There’s white smoke and oil coming out the exhaust. Wtf. But I also rolled my van 3 times but she started up like nothing happened before I transplanted it into another van. Wtf
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

You'll get a much better response if you link to a video showing the smoke & oil. A video of the 3x rollover will go viral.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

1.9 1y engine is shooting out oil and white smoke from the exhaust after I rev it. Why. I did roll the van 3 times before I transplanted the unit in another van but it still started up like nothing happened before I transplanted it with installing a turbo.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Oil Leaking from Muffler Reply with quote

If you rolled the van, then copious amounts of oil likely leaked into the exhaust through the turbo seals which are not designed to prevent that. It may just be a matter of running it through several heat cycles to get any residual oil in the exhaust to burn off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: