Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch slippage
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
patricke1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

I just put my engine back on my machine for the warm weather..I had the heads ported over the winter.. I put a truss bar system on as well. The engine is a 2234 center mount off with a built trans.i have a Kennedy stage 1 pressure plate and nut sure of the disc..when iam really on it shifting from 1st to 2nd and into 3rd I get slippage.

Change pressure plate or get a new or better disc?
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

Thomas Simpson did a really good video of dynoing a clutch set up, I would be tempted to do that even with your current set up. Just thinking about it you should be able to determine what holding power you had and if that set up has more to give and go from there.

Example, if you dyno the clutch and find out it needed shimmed off to work better and you'd get a massive improvement, you might give it a go again with what you have but shimmed correctly to give hte correct holding power. If you were at max power for that set up, then you can decide how much more holding power you want to add.

My only comment or thought would be thinking of what will break next after the clutch starts to hold.

You can find the video on youtube searching Thomas Simpson Racing Engines and then look for the one with a piece of paper being help up.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

Do you have a real Kennedy P/P or is it one of the China copies that EMPI sells? A stage 1 should be plenty for your 2234.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKVXoZ716BU
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

If you can find an input shaft you can make a tool to test the holding torque of the pressure plate.
Weld a nut or socket on the one end and use a torque wrench to test the breakaway torque of the disc. Use a flywheel lock to hold the engine from turning. You will need the engine out of the car to do this.
The disc and thickness of the disc will make a difference.
I have found the CB Super Disc holds the best compared to a Daiken Disc when testing for breakaway. I maxed out the 250 ft. lb. torque wrench so that ended the testing.
On my Stage II PP I ended up shimming the PP out .031" using wavy washers as spacers.
My Stage II PP and CB Super Disc are holding 225 crank hp and 255 lb. ft. of torque so far.

When I tested the Stage I and CB Disc it held 165 ft lbs torque.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

Clone bugs pressure plate check is a good one. If you have an input shaft, shorten it and weld a socket on the end. You want the socket close to the pressure plate... It's more stable when you have the torque wrench on the end of it.
Weld a quality socket on it or it might break when ya put some muscle into it
patricke1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

A real kennedy p/p? that Iam not sure of. MAybe I have a cheap clutch disc?? this didnt do this lasy year before the port and valve job and performance exhaust..
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

I have found the CB Super Disc holds the best compared to a Daiken Disc when testing for breakaway. I maxed out the 250 ft. lb. torque wrench so that ended the testing.

The CB "Super Disc" is simply a Daiken. If you look really close at the picture it's marked as such too. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1359.htm
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

patricke1971 wrote:
A real kennedy p/p? that Iam not sure of. MAybe I have a cheap clutch disc?? this didnt do this lasy year before the port and valve job and performance exhaust..

Is the pressure plate blue or black?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
clonebug wrote:

The CB "Super Disc" is simply a Daiken. If you look really close at the picture it's marked as such too. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1359.htm

It might be a Daiken but it performed better than the actual Daiken 503x I tried.

That's why it pays to test every disc with an actual torque breakaway and then shim it out and test again until you find the sweet spot.

It might not work as well with the exotic metallic discs that grab better when hot but those are not really a disc that gets run in a daily driver......at least for me anyways.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patricke1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

It's black
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

patricke1971 wrote:
It's black

Should be a KEP then
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch slippage Reply with quote

Gene Berg makes a stud and shim kit to solve the issues https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1892862
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: