Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 dash knobs (photos included)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Sure seems that way.... I need to contact the PO to let him know too.

I guess the question becomes - what VIN is on the title/bill of sale? Not sure if it's worth the hassle to fix, or if you'll want to get a new/correct airbox tag to match the real VIN. The tag on your airbox goes in the engine bay, but with the correct/matching VIN to what's stamped on the metal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Great questions peecee.... I need to talk with PO first. Then decide from there. Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
markeaton wrote:
Sure seems that way.... I need to contact the PO to let him know too.

I guess the question becomes - what VIN is on the title/bill of sale? Not sure if it's worth the hassle to fix, or if you'll want to get a new/correct airbox tag to match the real VIN. The tag on your airbox should have a VIN that matches the one stamped in the engine bay.

FIFY

FWIW VW put a VIN tag in the engine bay till 63. At some time in 63 they moved the VIN tag to the air box.
It is normal and proper for a 66 or a 67 to have a VIN tag on the air box.

info on id-ing your VW Bus:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To anyone buying a bus, good idea to check the numbers match the bus and the VIN on the title.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

one mystery solved. your bus is a 1967 model. luckily for you you live next to Vermont so you can get a Vermont title for the correct 1967 vin number then reregister it in New Hampshire.

https://cartitle.com/

now that that is solved, take a picture of your gas door from the outside and the inside of the engine compartment. my guess is someone replaced it so it would resemble a 1966.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

How can they make a title with a VIN in registry if it is the wrong one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
How can they make a title with a VIN in registry if it is the wrong one?

Not sure who the "they" you're talking about are. Because our buses are so old, many people don't know where to look for a VIN. Mistakenly thinking the tag on the airbox is correct and matches what is stamped onto the body is fairly common. The police typically verify the VIN, and they may take the current owner's word for it that the tag on the airbox is correct.

If you mean Vermont, they have some loopholes and it's pretty easy to get the correct VIN on a title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

someone at one point in the past lost the title to your bus and swapped out vin tags from another bus. your bus has 2 different vin numbers now. the correct one (assigned by Volkswagen) is stamped into the metal in the engine compartment. the tag on the air box belongs to a different bus. did you ever confirm the the m-code tag (which includes the vin #) is screwed on the bulkhead wall behind the passenger seat? your best interest will be to get a proper title for the vin in the engine compartment and remove the tag on the air box as it is incorrect. a title service can handle this and it usually performed in Vermont. totally legal and legit, do some research and verify.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

The M Code tag has been removed from the pass seat seat. Just the two diff ones on rear apron area and vent.

I think I will check into the Vermont title service. I'd just like to know.

The "they" peecee I was referring too is the DMV's. I thought they always had to do a records search on title to make sure they were correct.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
The M Code tag has been removed from the pass seat seat. Just the two diff ones on rear apron area and vent.

I think I will check into the Vermont title service. I'd just like to know.

The "they" peecee I was referring too is the DMV's. I thought they always had to do a records search on title to make sure they were correct.

It depends. If in-state, they just unknowingly transfer the wrong information to the new owner (unless that person debates it). If out of state, it depends on the state. In the states I've lived, they all have the state police verify the VIN and I take that document with the title to the DMV. Fortunately, I haven't had the issue you're having. But, that's not insurmountable.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 dash knobs (photos included) Reply with quote

Interesting... I do need to now verify this... I'm about 90% done, so it really doesn't matter as far as parts, etc. But I would like to know. Like you said, enjoy it Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: