Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New classic manx #93
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

It looks like you have made your choices -- good for you. We all do our buggies our way and that's why they are so cool. That steering wheel is a nice touch. I have a black rim deep dish 9 inch Grant type wheel on mine. The purple was NOT a good match.

I thought I'd toss out a couple engine ideas anyway... The 1500-1600 SP heads are pretty tough, but they are also pretty old. If you are running dual carbs I think I'd go dual port with new heads. If running a center mount carb the one piece intake manifold is a noticeable part of the look. Oh, are those SP Kadron intakes?

I don't think you would really need late 373 heads if you build up a 40 horse. A buggy usually runs very cool compared to a Bug. The previous round boss heads with a short rocker stud kit and the extra holes drilled in the fins, per VW spec, to direct a bit more cooling air to the exhaust ports should be plenty good. Another option would be 1300 heads that haven't been cut for 1500-1600 cylinders. That would even fit with your manifolds.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

EVfun I did pull the trigger on a motor combo but not one of the ones I listed earlier. The manifolds in the pictures are aluminum single port kadrons, I got those as I figured they would not be around long. Plus they fit the idea of a big SP motor.
With prices the way they are it was only a few dollars more to get a 2332cc DP kit. I've been down this road a few times now and was going to build another big SP motor but starting from scratch made the cost almost the same between a 2332cc SP and ported 42x37 DP. So it will have a dual ports in it.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well some goodies showed up in the mail today. New pre shortened pans from flat out customs in G.B.. Nice looking and good thickness too, will save some time on the chassis with these. Was going to shorten some wolfsburg west pans but these cost about the same and are less work, can't go wrong there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note they have no seat tracks which could be helpful to some and not for others. Also they are setup for left or right hand drive pedals.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
Well some goodies showed up in the mail today. New pre shortened pans from flat out customs in G.B.. Nice looking and good thickness too, will save some time on the chassis with these. Was going to shorten some wolfsburg west pans but these cost about the same and are less work, can't go wrong there.

Note they have no seat tracks which could be helpful to some and not for others. Also they are setup for left or right hand drive pedals.

I never knew those existed, I've only seen fiberglass ones for buggies. That is cool! Do they have a US distributor? How difficult was the shipping?
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

EVfun I ordered them on eBay from Busmeup. Shipping was not to bad and was really fast. I ordered them on the 15 and they arrived today.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

How did they ship? From where? To?

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

From the United Kingdom to Florida U.S.A. not to sure about the way they traveled but I would guess by air being they got here so fast. I paid the few extra dollars for the insurance lol was like $32 more.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

In total it was about $680 usd shipped and insured to my door. Plus what ever fees my bank has for the conversation rate. Which is about $180 more than wolfsburg west pans to my door. I've shortened pans before and it not hard, just takes time. Time is something I have little of these days, so for me it was well worth it. Plus they look really good almost like the factory made them.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got some gauges for the manx.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

I do like the gauges!
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got any more info on the speedo/tach gauge? Who from, is it electronic, what does it run off?
Thanks.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

joemama all the gauges are from ISP west. The speedo is mechanical and fits the stock vw speedo cable, the tach is electric. The fuel gauge is electric and I believe works with the stock vw sending unit. The boost gauge is mechanical.

Now my first choice was speedhut but the gauge that I liked the best would not fit in the manx dash Crying or Very sad

At 5 1/2" it's just to big.
So I went with ISP's gauges, they totally have the vintage look.
Hope this helps.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

So I got some parts in the mail today. New 44mm throttle plates from kaddie shack and some long mixture screws.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Another part came. I bought this as who knows what the future will bring.
Bus to bug intermediate housing from weddle.
Yes an 091 would be better but they are hard to get in my area. But 002 are still about $300.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well after dealing with FedEx B.S. for the last four days, I finally got my wheels. 15x5 for the front and 15x10 for the rear on 4x130 pattern.

Big thanks to Gene at wheel wearhouse for getting FedEx to actually deliver them somewhere.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

So I got some headlights for the manx. Some NOS Dietz 9-82 should look good against the orange flake.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

I have no connection with the company and this is not an endorsement but seeing as you guys didn't know about the swb buggy floorpans busmeup/flatout customs also make a swb buggy tunnel bottom plate. so you can blast away the inner rust and repair cable tubes etc then close it all up with a new panel.
https://www.flatoutcustoms.com/

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Those gauges are bad ass
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 I think they will fit the look I'm going for.
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
Well after dealing with FedEx B.S. for the last four days, I finally got my wheels. 15x5 for the front and 15x10 for the rear on 4x130 pattern.

Big thanks to Gene at wheel wearhouse for getting FedEx to actually deliver them somewhere.

LOVE the wheels. Tried to order a similar set just a few weeks back, and Wheel Warehouse told me they were no longer available. I guess I wasn't talking to the right person. Reached out to US mag several times with no response at all...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: