Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks pretty close to the OG seals! Very nice.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.
I'm happy to report that the CIP1 seal has solved the issue a 100%.

Highly recommended.

The seal is soft enough, the fit is as perfect as it gets... I'm even considering skipping the adhesive and just leave the seal as it is.

Sorry, i forgot to take pictures of the before/after.
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Did you cut the bottom corners for the apron?
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:

Nope.
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

mine also turned up

I have yet to install it, but it is a nice sponge rubber and not the stiff ass WW rubber. I am sure it will be just dandy. will post a photo of the install and hopefully the door sits flush

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:

I feel like you are asking that so the apron can be removed without having to remove a ton of the seal.

So I thought I would mention that originals were cut in the center of the rear apron, not the corners.

Corners might easier though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

That's true, my '61 was cut in the center now that you mention it. I just saw on here where someone cut the bottom corners at the 45s for easy apron removal. From the diagram on the website, the West Coast Metric seal looks like it comes in four pieces instead of a one piece seal like the ones above.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Is the one you are referring to this one (german), there is a couple listed on the site.

C24-261-827-711 - OE GENUINE GERMAN MADE - ENGINE LID SEAL - BUS 55-67
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Is the one you are referring to this one (german), there is a couple listed on the site.

C24-261-827-711 - OE GENUINE GERMAN MADE - ENGINE LID SEAL - BUS 55-67

Yes, exactly which one did you order?
Link to it on the CIP1 site is best, if possible

Link I found:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-261-827-711
The part # above is this one and it looks like this seal but I want to be sure before ordering.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Link I found:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-261-827-711
The part # above is this one and it looks like this seal but I want to be sure before ordering.

Everett that's the one i got also. Same part number. Works great. I didn't even glued mine at all.
Too bad it's out of stock at the time.
Maybe call them and see when are they re-stocking it.
Good luck.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

With the black type (four pieces) how do you glue it on the metal lip around the edge?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

coachT wrote:
With the black type (four pieces) how do you glue it on the metal lip around the edge?

Have used that with no glue. Suggest tossing that and get the one piece seal instead.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Have used that with no glue.

Me too. Worked great.
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

Bringing this old thread to the top; unfortunately, there still are new seals out there that just don't fit. The first seal that I bought was this one: https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-827-711 (Appears to be a WW seal)

First I tried the seal with the freshly repaired and painted old engine lid. There was absolutely no way that the lid would close all the way down without hundreds of pounds of pressure, even with slippery Syl-glide lube liberally applied to the surfaces. I thought that maybe the problem lay with the lid. The lid had about 60 years of living behind it and had undergone repair.

So I ordered a new engine compartment lid, a BBT unit, and painted that. Nice lid, but the weatherstrip still did not fit any better than with the old lid. Clearly, not the lid's fault.

So I bought an inexpensive weatherstrip off of ebay (picture below). Made in Brazil. It appears to be made of solid foam or open cell rubber, with a smooth rubber surface - not hollow like the WW seal. But it fits amazingly well and the lid closes without effort.

EA57RHD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I'm having the same issues with closing my deck lid as well.

Can you please post a link or screen shot of the ebay vendor that sells the Brazilian weatherstrip pictured above.

Thanks
********WANTED********
Whittier Lee Wood VW dealer license plate frame
mvboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I had the same problem - seal was from WW and I couldn't close the deck lid.

The seal was covered in that white, dry powdery material. I used vinyl
rubber spray to clean and soften the rubber. I let it sit for a day or two
and then gave it a try to close the deck. After two or three attempts, it closed.
I left the lid closed for a week to let the pressure soften up the rubber. It
worked fine. Now I can shut the lid with minimal pressure and shuts first or
second time every time.

I'd suggest be generous with the vinyl rubber spray, work it into the rubber
and be patience.

Good luck!
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

mvboy wrote:
I used vinyl
rubber spray to clean and soften the rubber.

I'd suggest be generous with the vinyl rubber spray, work it into the rubber
and be patience.

Good luck!

What is this vinyl rubber spray? Is it a silicone spray lubricant?

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mvboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to close rear engine lid after installing new seal? Reply with quote

I found it on Amazon - brand name is einszett or Nextzett vinyl
rubber care and protectant ~ $15.

Click on Amazon with the products - will bring up the details on the back of the bottle.

I have no connection to these companies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: