Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fotoroadie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
These are listed as brand new ones
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't know the color was called Elf Green but I assume it would match the Turqoise exterior paint

Wolfsburg West sells something but it's labeled as Como Green, I assume the color is right
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821532ACG

I have what I believe NOS set - Year ? - here's a couple pics. Bobby

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
Is "malach. green" the same as "WW Green German Square weave"?

FYI, that stands for Malachite Green. The original carpets I have seen seemed lighter, but they may have just been faded like all carpets seem to be...
Also, the Elf Green running boards I have seen seem to be very close to the Turkis paint, not quite as contrasting as the Como Green ones...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Here I send you some pictures of an all original 1960 turquoise car. One of the first of the 61 model year.
VW never used two different names for the same thing. So for the colour-orgy they celebrated at that time you can be sure, it is almost not possible to get anything as new repros for these car, when you try to get it absolutely stock. Not the carpet, not the floor rubber mats, not the hand brake boot, not the door cardsor seat covers... it is impossible. All you can do is looking for original parts.

Thank you for the info and the fantastic photos, they are very helpful. Most notably, you have confirmed that my 2 tone headliner is original. I will add some photos and details of my car later this week.

I also have a slightly later pastel blue '61, so I need to figure out some things on that one too.
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

House wrote:
doveblue3 wrote:
Is "malach. green" the same as "WW Green German Square weave"?

FYI, that stands for Malachite Green. The original carpets I have seen seemed lighter, but they may have just been faded like all carpets seem to be...
Also, the Elf Green running boards I have seen seem to be very close to the Turkis paint, not quite as contrasting as the Como Green ones...

Taking the comment regarding elf green color from House and comparing it to the picture from the original '61 car - does it appear that the picture confirms what House is saying by virtue of the running board mat that is covered by the door and not sun faded appearing to be turkis-ish?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Also the area, where the trim once sat.
cotegary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

This is my numbers matching Indiana Red 1960 Beetle. I bought this in the mid-90’s and have been chipping away at it ever since. It got painted about 5 years ago, and I even have everything to finish it. Somehow it got pushed to the side when I discovered I love split buses more. It has all the original parts, including the 36hp motor, beam, split case trans, wide trim running boards etc. It even has the original Sapphire I vertical push button radio with a dealer install tag from the dealership in Lake Tahoe. The original upholstery is in surprisingly good shape, but the stitching has let go. I’ll see if my upholstery guy can do anything with it. The door cards are in perfect shape too. I found a NOS SWF 6-wire turn signal switch in the late 90’s. I have an original aftermarket VDO electric gas gauge (looks like the later mechanical ones) but not sure if I want to put it in. Will be a fun car!

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

cotegary wrote:
This is my numbers matching Indiana Red 1960 Beetle. I bought this in the mid-90’s and have been chipping away at it ever since. It got painted about 5 years ago, and I even have everything to finish it. Somehow it got pushed to the side when I discovered I love split buses more. It has all the original parts, including the 36hp motor, beam, split case trans, wide trim running boards etc. It even has the original Sapphire I vertical push button radio with a dealer install tag from the dealership in Lake Tahoe. The original upholstery is in surprisingly good shape, but the stitching has let go. I’ll see if my upholstery guy can do anything with it. The door cards are in perfect shape too. I found a NOS SWF 6-wire turn signal switch in the late 90’s. I have an original aftermarket VDO electric gas gauge (looks like the later mechanical ones) but not sure if I want to put it in. Will be a fun car!

That’s a nice car! One of my customers has this same car, it has 47,000 original miles on it. I’ve always liked 1960 bugs, I want to get one someday. Let me know if you ever decide to sell this one!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

This is a few shots of my 60 Rag Top India Red Beetle. I owned it in the mid 80s when the Cal-Look was the thing to do, bought it from the OG owner and removed all of the OG parts adn replaced them with lastest Cal-Look $hit Shocked . It is the one Beetle I wish I would have kept over the years.

VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

My cousin got his first VW, a ‘60 ragtop on a ‘65 pan. It looks like an 80’s-90’s “resto” Anyway, the original VIN plate is gone. It has a Pennsylvania reassignment tag on the front riveted on. There’s a 6 digit body number stamped there too. Is there anyway to use that to find out a build date for the body? Everything points to a 60. Humpback tank, early style clip, H apron, etc

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
My cousin got his first VW, a ‘60 ragtop on a ‘65 pan. It looks like an 80’s-90’s “resto” Anyway, the original VIN plate is gone. It has a Pennsylvania reassignment tag on the front riveted on. There’s a 6 digit body number stamped there too. Is there anyway to use that to find out a build date for the body? Everything points to a 60. Humpback tank, early style clip, H apron, etc

If there is a body number stamped and the shell has a non-grafted big rear window, it is a 1958 model year body.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I’m not sure if it’s been covered, but what in the world is the deal with the color L451? I’ve seen it called India Red, Indian Red, and Indiana Red.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s been covered, but what in the world is the deal with the color L451? I’ve seen it called India Red, Indian Red, and Indiana Red.

When in doubt, see what the official VW paint & upholstery book called it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_59_color_book2/23.jpg
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
jays58s wrote:

I worked on a bug that’s this color and it has 47,000 original miles. The paint code sticker on that one calls it Indiana.
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

My sticker says INDIANA L451. I would attach a pic, but the image I have on my phone is to large. If you search for the 7,200 mile ‘60 on oldbug.com you can see a perfect sticker with INDIANA L451.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I'm not sure why they would use Indiana unless that was just for the USA or N. American market for some reason.
Possibly marketing, like using "Indian" wouldn't be favorable to US buyers?

Indian Red is an actual known color:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_red_(color)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
mukluk wrote:
jays58s wrote:

I worked on a bug that’s this color and it has 47,000 original miles. The paint code sticker on that one calls it Indiana.

trektider60 wrote:
My sticker says INDIANA L451. I would attach a pic, but the image I have on my phone is to large. If you search for the 7,200 mile ‘60 on oldbug.com you can see a perfect sticker with INDIANA L451.

Much like every other paint label of the era VW put in their cars, it's in German. The German word used for Indian red on the paint label is Indiana. If one feels compelled to always use the German name for the colour like the Turquoise (Turkis) crowd tends to, then by all means keep calling it Indiana. The name in English is Indian red.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

The German word for India appear to be Indien though?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

The colour was called "indiarot" in Germany. Normally, "indian red" would be the correct translation. Otherwise "indiarot" is not a commen word, if "indian red" would have existed first, a German would have naturally translated it to "indischrot"
Everett is right, the country is called "Indien", "indisch" is the adjective, "indiarot" does not really exist and is a made-up word, used by Volkswagen and is today rarely present as a name of a colour for several industrial products.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

As seen in the German language colour brochure from VW:

As seen in the English language paint & upholstery book from VW:

I've not seen any VW literature that called L451 "indiarot".
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
As seen in the German language colour brochure from VW:

As seen in the English language paint & upholstery book from VW:

I've not seen any VW literature that called L451 "indiarot".

It’s all making sense now lol. Thanks for all the info everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: